Should I upgrade to a Sherman or Abrams from a V12?

So right now I own a V12 and love everything about it except the range. I like the bells and whistle that comes with the V12 like the kickstand, LCD screen, and IPX7 rating so that only leaves me with the option to upgrade to either the Sherman or Abrams.

Based on my experience with the V12, I see myself as a high-speed carvy street rider where I want to ride at high speeds(30mph+) for long miles. I have limited experience with off-road riding where I went on 2 trails out of my entire riding session. I also have limited experience doing trick riding like going down stairs and hopping curves. 99% of my ride session have just been cruise rides where I get the most thrill out of my EUC when I try to reach a higher top speed. I really enjoy just doing cruise ride with my EUC and don't see myself doing anything else. Or maybe it's because I don't have enough exposure to the other ways to ride with an EUC. 

I don't know if it's the FOMO talking or the scarcity mindset inside of me. I did extensive research into what my first EUC should be and the V12 was the overall winner. The V12 is the perfect balance between portability, speed, and nimbleness. Reflecting now at my decision, I realized that the V12 is no longer fitting my current needs. The v12 is portable, and yet not portable enough to store inside a locker or store in a discreet location. The V12 has capable performance, but not capable enough to fully enjoy that power. If I knew that traveling at an average speed of 30mph+ with a ~1800WH battery meant only traveling for a short range(20-30 miles), I would've opt into getting the Nikola AR+ or save up more money to buy the Sherman. I'm spoiled with the bell's and whistles of the v12 so the AR+ or any EUC without similar features as the V12 is not on my radar. 

I really don't know if upgrading to the Sherman or Abrams is the right move. My initial plan was to get an all-rounder EUC and wait 3 years from now to buy the latest generation of EUC for high speed and long cruise riding. My ideal EUC is one that allows me to travel 35mph with no range anxiety(minimum 60 miles), while also having the same bells and whistle of the V12.  I'm a light rider(150lbs with gear) so I do believe the two EUCs I mentioned are capable enough for my goals. As of now, I don't fully enjoy my ride with the V12 because of the range anxiety I have with it.

If I want to get a Sherman or an Abrams, it'd would mean having to sell my V12 up on the used market. I'm hesitant about doing so because I already invested so much accessories into it(shredlights, custom seat, powerpads, new tire, warranty leftover) and with how the used market is like, MOSFET situation, multitude of scratches on it from my learning phase, and high mileage(1k miles) I won't get what I think my EUC is worth. I have a feeling though that if I do decide to upgrade without selling the v12, the v12 is just going to collect dust.

Is upgrading from the V12 the right move for me, or am I just trying to find excuses for why I need to upgrade to a new EUC? What would I be missing out on if I decide to upgrade to the Sherman or Abrams?  I'm well aware that I'll miss out from the maneuverability that comes with a 16inch wheel. 

Sorry for the long read and if you made it this far, I appreciate you reading through my post. This issue has been in mind for a long time and so I need advice on how to best approach it.

Edited by Chillay123
  • Like 1

I think you picked (what should have been) the best all-rounder available at the time—and it appears that you are gravitating to a specific 'way' of enjoying your rides. Finding what melts your butter is something that can only happen after one has ridden for a while... sounds like you've reached that point in your 'journey'.

You can always keep the shredlights and power pads, although they might help move the V12! I'd take the financial hit myself. No sense sticking to the V12 when you really want to go and devour pavement. But I'd get the biggest battery you can afford. And I wouldn't get Abrams (it may be cursed).

• Like 3

Fully agree with @Tawpie

Sherman MAX (for the range at speed) and never look back. If that is what you want, that is what you need.

You lose a little bit of perceived oomph due to the bigger tire, and the thing is heavy, so you don't want to carry it. Other than that, wear gear and enjoy the speed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chillay123 said:

My ideal EUC is one that allows me to travel 35mph with no range anxiety(minimum 60 miles), while also having the same bells and whistle of the V12.

That's a very tall order because that just needs a lot of battery. Maybe the upcoming V13 will be the closest to that (more bells and whistles than the Shermax?), but we don't know anything or when it will be available other than rumors of new type of high speed wheel.

11 hours ago, Chillay123 said:

high mileage(1k miles)

That is not high mileage for EUCs. That is "almost nothing". Comes right after "tried it and didn't like it, 100 miles".

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's a very tall order because that just needs a lot of battery.

A shermax/commander/MPro with 3600 wH battery over 60 miles would mean you need to keep your average consumption below 60 wH/mile. If you check your records at 35 mph, you can get a sense of how much energy it takes for you to go that fast and adjust accordingly.

But you will need a big battery!

If you haven't test ridden a Sherman or Abrams, you may want to before pulling the trigger. They ride very different than the V12. Especially the Abrams, it is a very heavy wheel, and demands a lot of physical strength. There have been riders who have bought the Sherman and end up selling it. At the same time, the Sherman has sold well. It is hard to say whether you would like one instantly, or get to like one over time, or not at all. You may like these two Veteran wheels for offering significant more range, and high speed stability than the V12, but you may dislike other traits and characteristics that overall may put you off. Since you have adapted to the V12, and like a lot of things about it except for range, I would wait for the V13, that is if you can wait.

If you are not needing a lot of range out of necessity, but rather for pleasure, I would forgo the high charge capacity battery packs for now, and instead consider playing with suspension wheels such as the Master, Hero, or S22. If you are already riding the V12 at the highest pedal height, you may find it not so foreign when you get on suspension wheels with high pedal height.

After the suspension experience, then you may want to go back to scratch that long range, high speed itch.

• Like 1

If you do decide to upgrade then the Sherman/Sherman Max looks like the obvious choice. However, its bells and whistles are much more modest than the V12 which is still (imho) the most advanced wheel in terms of customization, display and other quality of life amenities. 

The leftover warranty could be the saving grace that will allow you to sell the V12 at a good price -- you should check with the vendor if it's transferrable (iirc, ewheels warranty is).

As @meepmeepmayer said, 1000 miles is a small mileage both for the EUC and for you. If its mostly high-speed asphalt miles then there is still a lot of room to grow and learn and perhaps even change your priorities and likings. Some people grow tired of speeding and the alertness it requires, others retreat from the street to bicycle lanes or trails after a crash in traffic (in LA there's no way to avoid cars I am afraid). Others still prefer perfecting walking-speed tricks and rock-hopping without ever setting speed records.

Unless extended range is truly required (e.g. your commute is 60 miles or you don't get the time to charge at work) I would not hurry to go all-in and sell the V12 to buy a heavy cruiser. At least, consider test-riding the new wheel as @techyiam suggests and/or get a used one so that you can later make another switch without too much of a financial hit. 

• Like 1

I had a v12. It was really a fun ride, but with the 16 inch wheel, going faster than 25 always felt like I was one small rock away from going down. I own the original Sherman, and an Abrams. They ride very different from each other. The Abrams is huge. I would not recommend it for anyone under 5'10". It's very wide at the top, and requires a much wider stance. That being said, it is super fun to cruise with. I love how it eats up everything in it's path, bumps, rocks, sticks, etc. I've taken it on rides over 40 miles, with no problems.

The Sherman is also a great wheel. It doesn't have quite as much oomph off the line, but I love cruising on it. While not as powerful, it will for sure go farther, in my tests, at least 10 miles more than my Abrams.

Keep on mind, I'm a big guy, 235 lbs, so I don't get the same range as the lighter riders do.

• Like 1

The Sherman is a great wheel. I LOVE mine, but simply don't ride it enough. I feel the 18xl I have, translates roughly to having a decent bicycle. The sherman equates more with having a small naked motorcycle. You won't get bells and whistles with the sherman, you will simply get 18650 batteries(only batteries in my arsenal atm). Batteries are heavy and thats just how it goes. Of course, heavy also comes with comfort/stability/speed and range.  You will get bars to mount your own 'bells and whistles' tho. Also a nice flat surface for pads and nylonove pedal availability. I like my wheels to be pretty simple. Less on them, means less chinese parts to go wrong. It sounds to me like you want what most people want. A long range, high speed, nimble wheel, that is waterproof and not very heavy. Atm on planet Earth, you aint going to find anything like that, anytime soon. It all boils down to WHAT is more important, as you cant have it all.

As for the $$. If you can afford it, spend it. Hell, you aint promised tomorrow and you can't take it with you. Things are getting more expensive anyhow. OR...you could just buy a paramotor and laugh at those people stuck on the ground using wheels at all....:eff034a94a:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The Sherman is a great wheel. I LOVE mine, but simply don't ride it enough. I feel the 18xl I have, translates roughly to having a decent bicycle. The sherman equates more with having a small naked motorcycle. You won't get bells and whistles with the sherman, you will simply get 18650 batteries(only batteries in my arsenal atm). Batteries are heavy and thats just how it goes. Of course, heavy also comes with comfort/stability/speed and range.  You will get bars to mount your own 'bells and whistles' tho. Also a nice flat surface for pads and nylonove pedal availability. I like my wheels to be pretty simple. Less on them, means less chinese parts to go wrong. It sounds to me like you want what most people want. A long range, high speed, nimble wheel, that is waterproof and not very heavy. Atm on planet Earth, you aint going to find anything like that, anytime soon. It all boils down to WHAT is more important, as you cant have it all.

As for the $$. If you can afford it, spend it. Hell, you aint promised tomorrow and you can't take it with you. Things are getting more expensive anyhow. OR...you could just buy a paramotor and laugh at those people stuck on the ground using wheels at all....:eff034a94a:

I must say if I had an extra $ 92,000 dollars  laying around this is my next electric vehicle hands down !! They cost 22,000$ deposit with the other 70,000$ due upon delivery 🤘🏻😎🤘🏻 

Edited by Dosingpsychedelics
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 2:30 AM, Chillay123 said:

So right now I own a V12 and love everything about it except the range. I like the bells and whistle that comes with the V12 like the kickstand, LCD screen, and IPX7 rating so that only leaves me with the option to upgrade to either the Sherman or Abrams.

Based on my experience with the V12, I see myself as a high-speed carvy street rider where I want to ride at high speeds(30mph+) for long miles. I have limited experience with off-road riding where I went on 2 trails out of my entire riding session. I also have limited experience doing trick riding like going down stairs and hopping curves. 99% of my ride session have just been cruise rides where I get the most thrill out of my EUC when I try to reach a higher top speed. I really enjoy just doing cruise ride with my EUC and don't see myself doing anything else. Or maybe it's because I don't have enough exposure to the other ways to ride with an EUC. 

I don't know if it's the FOMO talking or the scarcity mindset inside of me. I did extensive research into what my first EUC should be and the V12 was the overall winner. The V12 is the perfect balance between portability, speed, and nimbleness. Reflecting now at my decision, I realized that the V12 is no longer fitting my current needs. The v12 is portable, and yet not portable enough to store inside a locker or store in a discreet location. The V12 has capable performance, but not capable enough to fully enjoy that power. If I knew that traveling at an average speed of 30mph+ with a ~1800WH battery meant only traveling for a short range(20-30 miles), I would've opt into getting the Nikola AR+ or save up more money to buy the Sherman. I'm spoiled with the bell's and whistles of the v12 so the AR+ or any EUC without similar features as the V12 is not on my radar. 

I really don't know if upgrading to the Sherman or Abrams is the right move. My initial plan was to get an all-rounder EUC and wait 3 years from now to buy the latest generation of EUC for high speed and long cruise riding. My ideal EUC is one that allows me to travel 35mph with no range anxiety(minimum 60 miles), while also having the same bells and whistle of the V12.  I'm a light rider(150lbs with gear) so I do believe the two EUCs I mentioned are capable enough for my goals. As of now, I don't fully enjoy my ride with the V12 because of the range anxiety I have with it.

If I want to get a Sherman or an Abrams, it'd would mean having to sell my V12 up on the used market. I'm hesitant about doing so because I already invested so much accessories into it(shredlights, custom seat, powerpads, new tire, warranty leftover) and with how the used market is like, MOSFET situation, multitude of scratches on it from my learning phase, and high mileage(1k miles) I won't get what I think my EUC is worth. I have a feeling though that if I do decide to upgrade without selling the v12, the v12 is just going to collect dust.

Is upgrading from the V12 the right move for me, or am I just trying to find excuses for why I need to upgrade to a new EUC? What would I be missing out on if I decide to upgrade to the Sherman or Abrams?  I'm well aware that I'll miss out from the maneuverability that comes with a 16inch wheel. 

Sorry for the long read and if you made it this far, I appreciate you reading through my post. This issue has been in mind for a long time and so I need advice on how to best approach it.

If range and speed is what makes your day, then Sherman is the one. Abrams and XB Commander are too new and you may have to deal with some issues. If value for money is important for you, right now is the best time to snag a used Sherman, while the FOMO crowd is "upgrading" to Sherman Max. At your weight, the original Sherman has more than enough torque. EXN is also an option (newer batch with 2 charge ports), if you pair with a 8-10a charger, the slightly less range isn't a big deal.

Since you mentioned that you "get the most thrill out of my EUC when I try to reach a higher top speed", I suggest giving offroading another try, and get more familiar with riding up/down curbs. The thing about riding at high speed is that with enough mileage, you will eventually fail to see that incoming pothole. When that happens, you want to have the confidence/muscle memory/reflex to give yourself a fighting chance to recover. Having experience riding offroad over uneven dirt, roots, etc (no need to do jumps or crazy stuff) and knowing how to go up/down curbs will greatly improve your handling skills and keep you safer at high speeds when those "oh shit" moments happen.

Edited by conecones
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, conecones said:

If range and speed is what makes your day, then Sherman is the one. Abrams and XB Commander are too new and you may have to deal with some issues. If value for money is important for you, right now is the best time to snag a used Sherman, while the FOMO crowd is "upgrading" to Sherman Max. At your weight, the original Sherman has more than enough torque. EXN is also an option (newer batch with 2 charge ports), if you pair with a 8-10a charger, the slightly less range isn't a big deal.

Since you mentioned that you "get the most thrill out of my EUC when I try to reach a higher top speed", I suggest giving offroading another try, and get more familiar with riding up/down curbs. The thing about riding at high speed is that with enough mileage, you will eventually fail to see that incoming pothole. When that happens, you want to have the confidence/muscle memory/reflex to give yourself a fighting chance to recover. Having experience riding offroad over uneven dirt, roots, etc (no need to do jumps or crazy stuff) and knowing how to go up/down curbs will greatly improve your handling skills and keep you safer at high speeds when those "oh shit" moments happen.

Reading your post reminded me of one of my offroad EUC buddies that told me the exact same thing. I'll definitely try offroading again. I bought myself a dual sport tire for when my board arrive. 

19 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I must say if I had an extra $ 92,000 dollars  laying around this is my next electric vehicle hands down !! They cost 22,000$ deposit with the other 70,000$ due upon delivery 🤘🏻😎🤘🏻 

That looks fun, but could you imagine the sound of the angry bees while it flies? Of course, its also almost as much as I'm paying for my only house. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 7 months later...