IPS 132 (i260+) problems and limitations

frankboltzmann

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to the EUC world, but I'm quite surprised how this isn't more popular because it's such a practical technology, you can commute to work quickly and store it under the desk.

That said, I've ordered an IPS i260+ from electricunicycleonline.com and it claims to be 30Km/h top speed and 30Km until the juice runs out. However, if I do 2 days of commuting to work (10km) the light starts blinking and I only weight 65Kg. That doesn't bother me much since I won't be doing long distance, what bothers me is the speed! At 15Km/h it starts beeping at me and I can't go higher! Most bikers get past me easily! The product came in a big box without any instructions so I have no idea how to unlock the 30Km/h speed. I tried installing IamIPS app on my iPhone but it says it's incompatible with my device.

All of the specs you see in the sales pages are best-case-with-a-child-riding-downhill type of numbers. I am 70kg and have a Firewheel with a 260Wh battery and 20km is about as far as I will go before i start to get nervous about the battery. I have a battery gauge (basically just a voltmeter) and it reads about 25% at that point so it might be able to go 30 km but only if you ran the battery right down to where it cuts off. You can be sure the ride-until-cutoff number is the one they used there, even though you would be unlikely to do that since who wants to carry their wheel after it runs out of battery?

IPS has some of the most confusing model numbers EVER and has released different product specs under the same model number, so as far as the speed goes you probably need to talk to someone who knows their product line better. The IPS site says the current model by that number (or those numbers) does have an app.

Here's an older forum thread but it may not apply to the current model by that number: 

6 hours ago, frankboltzmann said:

At 15Km/h it starts beeping at me and I can't go higher! Most bikers get past me easily! The product came in a big box without any instructions so I have no idea how to unlock the 30Km/h speed. I tried installing IamIPS app on my iPhone but it says it's incompatible with my device.

Try the app in the app store called 'Xima Lhotz" (NOT the one that just says 'Xima') and see if you can unlock it in the settings there.

6 hours ago, frankboltzmann said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to the EUC world, but I'm quite surprised how this isn't more popular because it's such a practical technology, you can commute to work quickly and store it under the desk.

That said, I've ordered an IPS i260+ from electricunicycleonline.com and it claims to be 30Km/h top speed and 30Km until the juice runs out. However, if I do 2 days of commuting to work (10km) the light starts blinking and I only weight 65Kg. That doesn't bother me much since I won't be doing long distance, what bothers me is the speed! At 15Km/h it starts beeping at me and I can't go higher! Most bikers get past me easily! The product came in a big box without any instructions so I have no idea how to unlock the 30Km/h speed. I tried installing IamIPS app on my iPhone but it says it's incompatible with my device.

it's not clear to me which app you'll need, you'll have to try a few: open app, switch on wheel, search again, try searching several times

speed unlocking usually is possible onlly after 50 or 100km depending on model. There are some unlocked version of the app on the forum, I've uploaded one here now.

XIMA-ver1.1.3-limit-30.apk

Thanks for the replies. Those apps you mentioned just work? How exactly do I connect them to my wheel? Because my wheel doesn't seem to be that developed, it has no lights, no anything, seems to be just a battery and motor with a switch and a power connector. I would be impressed if I could actually connect an app to it since it came with no instructions or manual or anything. There's some kind of text on the pedals but it's all in chinese.

As for the model, the website I bought it from said 30km/h so that's what it SHOULD be. When you mentioned IPS 111 [132] I don't think it's the same one, mine's IPS 132 (also known as i260+). You're right, the model names are a bit confusing. 

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Try the app in the app store called 'Xima Lhotz" (NOT the one that just says 'Xima') and see if you can unlock it in the settings there.

Isn't that one for the Xima Lhotz model or something?

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

it's not clear to me which app you'll need, you'll have to try a few: open app, switch on wheel, search again, try searching several times

speed unlocking usually is possible onlly after 50 or 100km depending on model. There are some unlocked version of the app on the forum, I've uploaded one here now.

XIMA-ver1.1.3-limit-30.apk

Which apps should I try?

7 minutes ago, frankboltzmann said:

Thanks for the replies. Those apps you mentioned just work? How exactly do I connect them to my wheel? Because my wheel doesn't seem to be that developed, it has no lights, no anything, seems to be just a battery and motor with a switch and a power connector. I would be impressed if I could actually connect an app to it since it came with no instructions or manual or anything. There's some kind of text on the pedals but it's all in chinese.

As for the model, the website I bought it from said 30km/h so that's what it SHOULD be. When you mentioned IPS 111 [132] I don't think it's the same one, mine's IPS 132 (also known as i260+). You're right, the model names are a bit confusing. 

Which apps should I try?

the one I've just uploaded is for the Xima Lhotz and this one IamIps, are the most recent as far as I know, not sure if these work for your wheel.

try the following sequence: open app, switch on wheel, search again, try searching several times if it doesn't work

I do'nt have your type of wheel, sorry if I cannot be of more help

ips_1109_unlocked.apk

1 hour ago, frankboltzmann said:

I was under the impression that the IPS 132 doesn't do more than 18km/h, but yeah the IPS numbering system is complex.

Download the 'Xima Lhotz' app and just see if it works. Turn on bluetooth on your iPhone and then put it next to your (turned on) wheel. See if it picks it up. If it does, you'll be able to unlock the 30km/h mode. 

Yes, technically the app is for the IPS Lhotz, but IPS uses the same components I think in more than one of its models. The 'Xima Lhotz' app is made by a forum member, and is a vast improvement on the official 'Xima' one.

57 minutes ago, frankboltzmann said:

Well on the website it said it was the + version, that's i260+ not i260, and it said it goes up to 30kmph. I've tried downloading IamIPS from the app store but it says my device isn't compatible.

Have you tried the Xima Lhotz app?

2 hours ago, frankboltzmann said:

Also, my tire is flat, tried filling it and it goes flat again. Is it possible that I have a punctured tube after only 1 month of riding the unicycle?!

Either that or the vent is leaking... I've had (bad quality) bicycle inner tires puncture in less than a couple of weeks of not-so-heavy use.

To test if the valve is leaking you can put some soapy water in the valve after filling it. Or you can put some spit on it, which is what I do. :P

My 14-inch unicycle had a tube that sprung a hole after a short amount of riding, it turned out to be a weak/thin spot in the tube near the valve. I replaced it with this tube from Amazon and it seems to be better.

4 hours ago, frankboltzmann said:

I'm assuming "vent leaking" means valve leaking? What can I do if the valve is leaking?

You could replace the tube but that is a lot of work and expense if it's just the valve. Fortunately the valve does unscrew out of the stem so you should be able to remove it. It looks to be a standard Schrader valve so any auto or tire shop should have the tool to remove it--as long as your EUC provides enough clearance around the valve stem to get the tool inserted! A brand new replacement should be a couple of dollars or perhaps free if you go to the right shop and they like your wheel. :)

8 hours ago, frankboltzmann said:

I'm assuming "vent leaking" means valve leaking? What can I do if the valve is leaking? What's more troublesome is that I might need to remove some of the foam to get to the screws but I kind of aligned the foam tips with the seams just in case I had to open it.

Yeah, valve, sorry :P  "Valve" in Finnish is "venttiili", so I sometimes mix the words up. Same with capacitor and condensator (as capacitor is "kondensaattori" in Finnish) and such...

@dmethvin above gave good tips about replacing it above, if it is indeed the ven... valve. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/2/18 at 5:59 PM, frankboltzmann said:

could you send me your problem with video ?we will forward to our technical department to proceed your problem !

thank you for choosing IPS unicycle !

Best Regards

Just now, Chang Yuming said:

could you send me your problem with video ?we will forward to our technical department to proceed your problem !

thank you for choosing IPS unicycle !

Best Regards

if possible please send me your video with problem to my Email  manager@ipselectricunicycle.com we can help you even you don't buy from us directly !

Best Regards

Archived