KS S18 thudding noise on decel/accel

Just picked up a used kingsong s18. After driving it a while noticed a thudding noise particularly on hard deceleration. Occasionally it will start thudding on acceleration from a stop, if I hop off and start again it tends to go away. 

I've inflated the tires and suspension system. Concerned it may be the hub motor. Looking for any recommendations for diagnosis/repair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine did this. Took the wheel apart, cleaned out the bearing area around the axel and then made sure the axel nuts were really tight. Issues went away after I did that so I'm not sure which resolved it.

It seems to be a lot more prevalent with the suspension set to open. It's possibly the shock dropping too far causing fender rub.

It is inflated to 200 hi 100 low but might need more pressure or the shock might be failing.

Here's a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sBCbWXf4rhnu7r4M7

The blue ring appears to be 2/3 the way down, so not bottomed out

Edited by frostyllama

Yeah, definitely a tire rub. The fender sits in quite loose on the S18, and is sometimes bent from the suspension compressing.

Whether it affects the rubbing or not, you might be riding too low on the suspension. If you fill the shock with the block method, 200/100 is very deflated. There won’t be much pressure holding you up once the block is removed. We once put something like 280/50 with the block method to get a good response for a 75kg rider.

I've been using the block method, that must be it. I'm close to 100kg. Tried it with increased pressure close to 300/100 seemed to dramatically help the problem, may just be a little too heavy for open suspension on the wheel

• Like 1