Kingsong 18XL nyloNove Pedals which one, PSI and Offroad tire

Triexy

Hi,

I have the problem on offroad that sometimes i move to the front of my Pedals, because Offroading on my KS 18XL now I want to upgrading to nyloNove Pedals, can I use the 16X Pedals for it or which one?

Oh and I want to know do someone knows which offroad tire can I use for 18XL and I was thinking to switch from 38 PSI (2,6 bar) to 33 or 34 PSI (2,3-2,4 bar) because really ugly holes, roots and so my weight 165lbs (75kg) with gear circa 187 LBS (85kg)

Greets and thx

The 18xl (which I have) is a terrible off-road EUC, and stuffing a wider fatter tire in there is going to be hard when the stock tire is already a tight fit.

The 18xl is a liftable last-mile urban commuter, and outside of that usage case it's going to have a hard time especially on even slightly mixed surfaces. Not to say you can't make it work, and go very fast indeed, but EUC's with suspension and wider tires and power pads and maybe even better crashability would work better.

If feet are moving, because of jumps/bumpy road - you need power pads.. They will lock you feet in place. Getting studded pedals won't fix that issue. (Ok they will fix it little bit. But over time your feet will move anyways.)

I have K66 80/80-14 tire (I trimmed the sides little bit. Before trim - width was 76mm after trim 66mm.) Whole diameter is 48cm on mark.

I can say that going on off-road hills, with little bit lose sand sucks.. It has no power, midway stops or starts spinning in place, but then again i weight 127kgs, maybe because of it. Or maybe i don't lean forwards enough.. Going over bumps that aren't like hills are doable, but not pleasant. 18xl is made for asphalt/pavement. Which i ride 90% of time.

16x/18xl pedals are different. (The "L" hangers part, that is..) If pedals come with "L" hangers then no problem. I got my self "hextech pedals" they came with "L" hangers.

18xl isn't really made for off-road.. And i ride it at 28-30psi.

Also about the pedals. 18xl has that "locking" mechanism under pedal, 16x has magnets.. That's why NyloNove pedals wont fit.. You need to get specific "L" hangers for 18xl - same as 16x.. If you want to use nyloNove pedals. If you planed to use "stock" 18xl hangers you're out of luck.

Also if you plan getting simply 16x hangers and use them on 18xl.. Don't forget 16x hangers sit higher from ground. (And if i don't mistake screw hole placement are different?) On 18xl you will need to cut inner shell to install 16x hangers. < Just a reminder.

My "hextech pedals" hangers sit also higher from ground - i had to cut inner shell "axle" hole 1cm lower. My whole euc sits now 1-1.5cm higher from ground = more ground clearance. :D (Also 1cm tire height clearance.)

Check image on hangers.. >

image.thumb.png.0409dea22449a0a362515b7976f859d9.png

Edited by Funky

Yeah i now it isnt for offroad but at the time there i order my XL all suspension wheels has low range and was in beta status that was my problem. I have powerpads but want use them later after I got a hang off it how to use it. So there are no Offroad pedals out there for the XL? Its fine I was before with my Ninebot one E+ there :D and my weight is with gear 83kg I think 50kg is a little difference. About streets I am using more offroad because german laws -.-

Greets

Edited by Triexy

6 minutes ago, Triexy said:

Yeah i now it isnt for offroad but at the time there i order my XL all suspension wheels has low range and was in beta status that was my problem. I have powerpads but want use them later after I got a hang off it how to use it. So there are no Offroad pedals out there for the XL? Its fine I was before with my Ninebot one E+ there :D and my weight is with gear 83kg I think 50kg is a little difference. About streets I am using more offroad because german laws -.-

Greets

Only pedals that comes with "L" hangers that i know works for 18xl is these ones > Hextech pedals

https://eucmarket.com/product/алюминиевые-педали-hextech-для-ks18-l-xl/

You can find different sellers..

Wow 300 dolar i think I will use my grizzly pads before I will pay 300$ Oo iam just worried about the position of the grizzlypads at the moment my feets has always different position becuase iam not sure more to the front of the pedals or more to the back and so on iam still testing which position is for me the best :D

1 hour ago, Triexy said:

Wow 300 dolar i think I will use my grizzly pads before I will pay 300$ Oo iam just worried about the position of the grizzlypads at the moment my feets has always different position becuase iam not sure more to the front of the pedals or more to the back and so on iam still testing which position is for me the best :D

On facebook they cost around 240$. I bought mine for 220euro.(My city shop.)

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Triexy said:

Yup, welcome to the world of nylonove. I had to bug the owner for 6 months to get a set for my sherman. Amazing quality, but you gotta REALLY want them to spend for it. I don't do foot locks. For my 18xl, I'd buy some studded grip tape, if I wanted more grip. Big flat pedals as it is...

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Yup, welcome to the world of nylonove. I had to bug the owner for 6 months to get a set for my sherman. Amazing quality, but you gotta REALLY want them to spend for it. I don't do foot locks. For my 18xl, I'd buy some studded grip tape, if I wanted more grip. Big flat pedals as it is...

To me it was worth snow/sand/mud fall true holes. Before the sandpaper was always dirty.. +Better grip.

Cheapest trick would be "drill" holes in original pedals and screw in studs (Or regular screws) < :D  My dad did that to his plastic top plate. Works amazingly well.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:04 PM, Triexy said:

I have the problem on offroad that sometimes i move to the front of my Pedals, because Offroading on my KS 18XL now I want to upgrading to nyloNove Pedals, can I use the 16X Pedals for it or which one?

I'm currently testing prototype units of NyloNove, designed exclusively for KS-18L/XL. They should be available for sale soon:

nylonove_ks18xl.jpg

On 5/17/2022 at 4:04 PM, Triexy said:

Oh and I want to know do someone knows which offroad tire can I use for 18XL and I was thinking to switch from 38 PSI (2,6 bar) to 33 or 34 PSI (2,3-2,4 bar) because really ugly holes, roots and so my weight 165lbs (75kg) with gear circa 187 LBS (85kg)

The problem with KS-18XL is that it only fits 18x2.5" tire. While some people tried to fit wider tire, it needs to be "trimmed" and even then clearance between tire and wheel cavity will be too small. As 18XL chassis isn't very rigid, too small clearance will cause rubbing in case of uneven pedal pressure (for example, when riding one legged), also there's a risk that some objects like even small stones could be trapped and lock the wheel, causing you to faceplant.

For me, the best tire in terms of grip is CST C-1488 18x2.5". Still, it's not as good as classical knobby tire, but works pretty good as an universal tire. This tire handles surprisingly well in sand, mud or grass, of course in comparision to other "semi slick" tires. Unfortunately, this tire wears relatively quickly and is hard to find these days. Another tire that looks similar is Vee Rubber VRB317 (https://mz-b.net/vee-rubber-elektromos-62-355-18-2-50-vrb317-e-bike-tyre-2300000027457). I bought this tire, but I have to test it yet.

Lowering pressure is a good idea for offroad riding. I use 2,2-2,4 bar and for me (85 kg rider + 10-18 kg backpack) it's a sweet spot, for both offroad and city riding.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seba said:

I'm currently testing prototype units of NyloNove, designed exclusively for KS-18L/XL. They should be available for sale soon:

nylonove_ks18xl.jpg

The problem with KS-18XL is that it only fits 18x2.5" tire. While some people tried to fit wider tire, it needs to be "trimmed" and even then clearance between tire and wheel cavity will be too small. As 18XL chassis isn't very rigid, too small clearance will cause rubbing in case of uneven pedal pressure (for example, when riding one legged), also there's a risk that some objects like even small stones could be trapped and lock the wheel, causing you to faceplant.

For me, the best tire in terms of grip is CST C-1488 18x2.5". Still, it's not as good as classical knobby tire, but works pretty good as an universal tire. This tire handles surprisingly well in sand, mud or grass, of course in comparision to other "semi slick" tires. Unfortunately, this tire wears relatively quickly and is hard to find these days. Another tire that looks similar is Vee Rubber VRB317 (https://mz-b.net/vee-rubber-elektromos-62-355-18-2-50-vrb317-e-bike-tyre-2300000027457). I bought this tire, but I have to test it yet.

Lowering pressure is a good idea for offroad riding. I use 2,2-2,4 bar and for me (85 kg rider + 10-18 kg backpack) it's a sweet spot, for both offroad and city riding.

My KS eat this a while ago it was at the top of the wheel housing I need to deflat my tire to get it out -.- My tire Pressure was 40 with 75kg

IMG-20211030-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20211030-WA0011.jpg

Edited by Triexy

3 hours ago, Seba said:

57). I bought this tire, but I have to test it yet.

My body weight is 73 kg and with gear and water i think 82-85kg was thinking to use 2.3 bar but iam worried about my rim -.- because I have sometimes halfcutted waterpipes on my way to example -.-

Edited by Triexy

On 5/19/2022 at 2:27 PM, Seba said:

nylonove_ks18xl.jpg

Oh and thx for the info, I will be interested on it :)

• 3 months later...

I have been offroading a lot recently (18L with Chao-Yang H-5146). On unexpected successions of bumps, when going fast, my feet tend to move forward (I have spiked hextech pedals which have very good grip, but unexpected series of bumps make my feet bounce around). I am usually saved by jump pads (these) rather than my power pads (these). So you could get away with just jump pads - they are cheaper, let you jump and they hold your feet rather well. Alternatively get clark pads or similar which feature built-in jump pads.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, Funky said:

I can say that going on off-road hills, with little bit lose sand sucks

I weigh around 95kg [gear included] and find the 18L has enough torque for me even on sandy hills. Unless the sand is really deep or the hill too steep the stock tire has enough grip. I quite enjoy the deep sand challenge with all the drifting and sliding around and don't avoid sandy patches anymore. I usually ride at 30-35 psi but still somehow punctured the tire a few days ago (after ~350km total of intense offroading).

Edited by yoos
corrected tire model

42 minutes ago, yoos said:

I weigh around 95kg [gear included] and find the 18L has enough torque for me even on sandy hills. Unless the sand is really deep or the hill too steep the stock tire has enough grip. I quite enjoy the deep sand challenge with all the drifting and sliding around and don't avoid sandy patches anymore. I usually ride at 30-35 psi but still somehow punctured the tire a few days ago (after ~350km total of intense offroading).

It has the power - it simply starts spoiling in place, as it loses grip and i fall over. Because you ride in loose sand and same time going uphill. (You know those sandy forest hills like things.)

Something like this, but quit more grass/moss. >>> 

forest-summer-walk-park-sandy-hill-morni

pine-trees-forest-winter-on-600w-2176403