Free Spinning Wheel

MDMason

Is it harmful to the wheel to pick it up and allow it to spin freely until it shuts off? I have done this several times by accident but I know others do it on purpose to establish the top speed of the wheel before it shuts off.

I don't think it's harmful to the wheel to let it free spin but I do think it can be quite dangerous to put the wheel down while it is spinning up to max. Once a wheel starts spinning up uncontrollably, putting it down is a risky proposition. If you're lucky then all you leave it is a carpet burn, but if you're unlucky (as I have been) the act of putting the wheel down can make it spin like a top with the pedals hitting your shins.

I think all EUC riders, without exception, learn to pick up their wheels just a tiny bit, verify the lift switch is indeed working, and then lift the wheel the rest of the way. The only EUC riders who lift up their wheels in one motion are the riders in EUC ads; the rest of us lift-pause-finish. Even new EUC riders quickly learn to resist the natural inclination to put down a spinning wheel and just let it spin itself out.

While EUCs have yet to conquer the world, they have left their marks on and in hallways, carpets, and public buses and platforms.

• Upvote 1