V11 Shorted out and died

Firebat45

This is pretty disappointing.  I just got a brand new V11 and it suddenly died while I was walking with it.  Less than 20kms on it.  I'm glad it didn't happen while riding.

Apparently the metal shell that covers the motherboard was pinching and chafing the motor wires.  Diagnosis is that I need a new motor and new motherboard.

h0HZZ7p.jpg

Edited by Firebat45
  • Sad 1

I agree with the others. Have them send you a brand new replacement or do the repairs. Too new and $$$ to expect you to do repairs.

The good thing is, this is a clear manufacturing defect and you can still trust the V11 hardware (as long as it is assembled properly):)

3 hours ago, Paradox said:

I hope you can return it and get a new one.  Its no easy process to change a board and even harder to change a motor.

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Yeah, I'd ask for a new wheel, or at least make your reseller fix it. That's a clear "manufacturing defect" if ever there was one.

My local seller has been really great so far and has it in his shop.  I think I'd rather get this wheel repaired.  Who knows what issues another new one might have?  At least this way my wheel will have gone through a once-over by someone not working at InMotion's QC department.  I just wish I didn't have to wait to get it fixed.  I miss riding it, it was a really fun wheel. 

Edited by Firebat45
  • Like 2

I suggest doing the repair yourself. It takes about 45 minutes to drop the motor and remove the lower board going at a careful pace. The hardest parts will be -

*Remembering which screws/bolts go where. (I wrote notes in the side covers & used multiple magnetic trays for each section of the wheel)

*Prying off the board cover (takes some force)

*Wire management between the two boards (take several pictures along the way)

*Take your time properly guiding the motor cable when you re-install as it is very easy to get it pinched in the suspension

That is about it, everything else is pretty straight forward. The suspension is maybe 4 core components on each side, very simple.

Tools that you will need - 

Allen wrenches (long) - 2.5, 3, 4, 5 - for covers, suspension components, motor

Sockets - 10mm, 27mm - for removing the bolts that secure the suspension

Socket wrench(s)/break bar(s) - see above 

Screwdriver  - sm/md Philips head - for removing the boards

RTV - black - optional - to seal the wheel post repair

Tire Spoons - optional - for swapping tire to new motor