What could cause an electric motor to slip? InMotion V10

LightWave

I wonder if we need to change a motor if we notice a big increase in motor slipping?

I ran a search and only found one thread on this subject and they say it can be normal but my wheels are noticeably easy to slip now if I just go up a hill. It's very dangerous because it can basically cut out anytime if you need to stop and break! I can kind of still use the wheel anyway but the testing and falling to see the break point is getting hard on my back lol

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about electric motors so I can trouble shoot stuff like this. I also want to modify motors so I'm over all very curious to hear what anyone has to say about electric motor slipping and how to fix it etc. I may try to change out the bearings but they're running so smooth now I'm just not sure it's worth trying that direction

Edited by ElectronxCycles

You need to clarify what you mean by the motor slipping.  Do you mean it cuts out?  Makes noises?  You may be overpowering the wheel.  What is the state of charge?  Do you know what an over lean is? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

You need to clarify what you mean by the motor slipping.  Do you mean it cuts out?  Makes noises?  You may be overpowering the wheel.  What is the state of charge?  Do you know what an over lean is? 

Good questions hang on uploading a new video now

It seemed like an error message appeared in the app.  Maybe others here can explain the flashing lights and error message.  Maybe a hall sensor failure?

On 4/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, Paradox said:

Maybe a hall sensor failure?

The motor is slipping so I need to open it up again... I think the error mean's "error signal / message in the motor hall".

• Like 1

you speak the same language i do in those moments:)

if you had the wheel apart it could just be a bad connection on the hall connectors, even if you didnt it couldve come loose

if its a hall sensor theyre cheap and easy to fix, i bought 3 good ones from Grin Technologies for peanuts 

they have a trouble shooting page showing how to test the hall sensors, its easy to do if you feel like swearing some more;)

https://ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

• Like 1

@ElectronxCycles it sounds like you're blaming the wheel for breaking down, but it seems more likely like that your attempt at maintenance introduced this fault.

It can happen. It can also usually be fixed with a few replacement parts and a fair amount of patience.

Edited by supercurio

6 hours ago, supercurio said:

but it seems more likely like that your attempt at maintenance introduced this fault.

im trying to get more feedback on why the motor is slipping, its not about who's fault it is but it is a cheap wheel with cheap parts. but no the motor was slipping and making clicking sounds before it was opened up. did you see the video? :D

21 hours ago, goatman said:

if you had the wheel apart it could just be a bad connection on the hall connectors, even if you didnt it couldve come loose

Thank you i will take a look at the hall sensors

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Yes I watched the video @ElectronxCycles and also your other videos and ended mostly confused at what I was looking at, why how when.

Ok I'm just wondering what are the known causes for EUC motors to slip on hills etc?

Some say maybe bearings or hall sensor

Every EUC has a limit for torque, so in itself "slipping" is not an issue. I'm still not sure what you mean by this term.

Your video here shows a red alert on the display tho so that's something else. I find hard to follow.
Have you asked your seller for support first?

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

Every EUC has a limit for torque, so in itself "slipping" is not an issue. I'm still not sure what you mean by this term.

It was working good enough for riding on flat ground but the motor would slip on a very small hill.

I did a little pendulum to try and show what the issue was in the beginning of the video as I was holding the cellphone in my apartment on hardwood floors when it went totally red light of death on me. lol I'm thinking maybe the motor is just toast but like how can I fix the motor any way or just need to get a new one?

I got the wheel used but I want to learn from this and fix it if possible

• Like 1

it sounds like hall sensor or wire

most likely wire or connector

the controller needs to receive the signal from the sensors in order to move or it will go into fault mode

some controllers are sensor start and switch to sensorless after you are moving about 10 km/h

if i had a bad connection on my ebikes, the bike wouldnt start moving from a stand still but if i got it moving by pedaling

the motor would start up and away i went

you know how gas motors have a distributor, spark plug wires and spark plugs

disconnect 1 spark plug wire and it runs like crap or dies

euc's have 3 hall sensors and the controller expects to get the signal as the wheel turns

lose the signal and the wheel dies

it might turn on but once you try to move it

it senses no signal and  it shuts down

if you did have it all apart, did you reconnect the YBG phase wires back in the right order?

On 4/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Richardo said:

Do you think the wheel could have been reported stolen? Are you able to claim it in the inMotion app so that it says owned by <your username>?

No the guy I got it from has proof of purchase from a local company here in Vancouver and he has other wheels and no motive to steal it

On 4/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, goatman said:

did you reconnect the YBG phase wires back in the right order?

I was sure I did but I'm going to double check, I need to keep working on this wheel after all because I'm training to be an EUC tech and I have a lot to learn lol

On 4/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, goatman said:

YBG phase wires back in the right order?

I finally got to check this and yes they are in the correct order. I'm thinking about going back into the motor to have a look because I'm still not willing to spend 500+ a new motor right now as I'm looking at a wheel with more range and quality. Still would be great to fix this one because I love to have the extra wheel on hand

• Like 1