Liquid Cooled RS Build

Menace

I have yet to test it in the really hot weather, but today at about 60F riding hard the stock fan didn't even come on. Hopefully it will be warmer tomorrow so I can really test it.

The LED beeper in my helmet works so well though. I have a red led strip mounted in my helmet just in my peripheral vision and I noticed the flashes immediately. I highly recommend it since it is actually pretty easy to do.

Edited by Menace
  • Like 3

Just a thought... have you considered using something non-water based for your cooling fluid? Mineral oil or something like that? Just in case of, you know, leaks. I suppose though, in NM any moisture is gone pronto.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Just a thought... have you considered using something non-water based for your cooling fluid? Mineral oil or something like that? Just in case of, you know, leaks. I suppose though, in NM any moisture is gone pronto.

Hmm, no I hadn't. I used antifreeze like they use in cars, since I didn't want to have to worry about freezing. So far no leaks, but I may look into mineral oil anyways.  Ok, looks like it is not electrically conductive too, I may actually switch to mineral oil! Thanks!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Menace said:

Hmm, no I hadn't. I used antifreeze like they use in cars, since I didn't want to have to worry about freezing. So far no leaks, but I may look into mineral oil anyways.  Ok, looks like it is not electrically conductive too, I may actually switch to mineral oil! Thanks!

I have never heard of anyone using mineral oil as internal liquid cooling on PC builds. I believe mineral oil has poor thermal properties for heat exchange and does not dissipate heat effectively. There has been much experimentation with mineral oil as an immersive coolant over the past 10-15 years: ie, submersing an entire pc in a tank filled with it, but that would be too bulky and impossible to do. iirc the consensus is that it is not as good as conventional liquid cooling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 2:12 PM, Menace said:

Backstory: I got this RS in December 2020. It is a 1st gen. Old big bearing with old bearing shields. No LCD. Green Controller. It frequently got pretty hot, especially since I live in NM.

What I have done to it: 

1. Speaker grills (made from speaker grills from a radio

2.silicone between shell halves

3. knobby tire

4. drilled drain holes in bearing shields

5.Clark pads gen 3 foam

6.clark bumpers

7. clark pedals

8. zen bearings (old ones got water in them a while ago)

9. headphone jack wired in parallel to beeper (I will be putting LEDs in my helmet)

10. liquid cooling for the control board

11. Some cool stickers

12. outer shell screws switched to Allen head

Liquid cooling system:

I removed an area of fins from the feeble heatsink on the back of the controller and attached a 40mm copper water block in its place using thermal paste and glued with epoxy. The water lines run from the water block through the hollow motor bore to the front left compartment, where a 5v water pump is housed. The pump pulls cool water from an externally mounted radiator and pushes it though the water block and back to the radiator. The pump is wired in parallel with the usb port and cannot be turned off. The radiator fan is connected to the unused 12v headlight fan port. It can be turned off with a small switch and easily removed because I used a modular connector for its wire. The front of the radiator is attached with 2 screws through the outer shell and the back is mounted using a brass bracket. The bracket is attached to the radiator with strong double sided tape and to the power pad using a slit filled with silicone that I slid the bracket into. The holes where the water lines exit the shell are sealed with silicone. I left the stock fan untouched and sealed the two little airflow holes on the right side of the shell.

Beeper: 

I soldered a headphone jack in parallel to the beeper. The port is right next to your leg on the right side above the power pad. Idea is that I run a coiled audio cable up to my helmet to a 12v led strip so I get a visual warning ( I can't hear the beeps well)

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

Cool project. Share some pics of the internals and parts used.

13 hours ago, windowmaker said:

Cool project. Share some pics of the internals and parts used.

Parts (from amazon and the hardware store)

-40mm pure copper waterblock

-5v usb water pump (this was connected in parallel to the 5v USB port)

-80mm radiator and fan (the fan was connected to the unused headlight fan port on the motherboard)

-Silicone tubing, hose clamps, double sided tape, thermal paste, epoxy, a small switch, hose couplers, woven cable protectors, some wire, hex screws, some other hardware odds and ends

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

• Like 2