Does it sounds like my wheel needs new bearings??? - Video attached

LightWave

Anyone have an idea what's causing the wheel to make this clicking sound?

I was able to get one plate off but the other size is stuck to the axle so any advice for removing the plates would be really appreciated as well.

When I turn it on it does shake like other InMotion V10 / V10F or even V8 wheels that have broken down. No way I'm buying another motor for this thing so maybe I'll sell this wheel for parts... Sad another InMotion wheel bites the dust

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

hmm, Im not sure. The rubbing with the motor cover off could just be the stator rubbing on the magnets, since the magnets will pull often it to one side.What I would do is to try turning the bearing with your hand when the cover is off and see if it makes noise, if not then that one is fine. Then I would try to peak between the magnets and stator to see if there is any debris. If you don't see anything I would take the other cover off. You usually have to pry it off with a screw driver or some thing similar. Just don't smash the magnets or coils. I have to work my way round the cover alternating opposite sides. Some tapping on the end of the axle with a plastic mallet while prying can also help. You basically pry with a screw driver or something and whack the end of the axle on that same side. This same technique is used for flywheels on small engines, so you could look at a video if you don't understand what I'm trying to say. I would also clean the axle with some wd 40 first to help it come off easier. I have used this method to open my 14s motor several times (Rs too but it is a little different). Then you can visually inspect that side and also turn that bearing by hand. You might also want to check for loose magnets.

• Upvote 1

Like @Menace suspected, the noise comes from the magnets dragging. It’s not a very good idea to keep rotating the motor when they do. The bearings don’t seem to be making a sound.

Since you have had the motor covers off, you have to be very careful and precise while centering the stator. Use for example identical folded paper strips. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guiding edge of the motor covers wasn’t even all the way in in the video.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, Menace said:

Some tapping on the end of the axle with a plastic mallet while prying can also help.

What side of the axle should I tap? One side is totally jammed up and the magnets are not in alignment? Please see updated video

Edited by ElectronxCycles
  • Like 1

When you close the "shields" on both sides, the motor get's seated right in middle.. Ofc it will scrape (move closer to one side) when not centered.

Did you try putting "penetrating" oil on axle/bearing spray on there (puddle amount) and let it sit there for a while.. It seems the axle "rod" is stuck in bearing hole.

Metal expands when heated. (Gets bigger) Axle "rod" is stuck - don't make it bigger. :D  Anything you heat there = will get bigger, so i don't see it working? Freezing could help? :D Heating up so it "expands" and letting it cool off, could break it lose. Because it got bigger and smaller..

Off topic - When i opened my 18xl, i put a lot of grease in this hole. So water/dirt don't get in. (Also will be easy to open next time.. Because of grease.)

IMG-20220122-195838.jpg.132c8e0679ed8819e140e494957c1b92.jpgIMG-20220122-200050.jpg.65ec0b87ea4b2d5a0336333807a4357e.jpg

Edited by Funky

You would want to whack the axle on the side that is up in the video. Think whacking the axle out of the side cover.  You apply pressure with the pry bars and whack the axle on that same side simultaneously. Make sure to use a plastic mallet or a block of wood so you don't damage it.

Another thing: check if your phase wire terminals are touching. If they are, they will be shorted and will be "cogging" which can sound kind of like that. If not, check if your phase wires are shorted (this can happen if you have put a very high load on the wheel and the insulation melts and the wires will short with each other), which would have the same affect.

Edited by Menace

7 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe bent axle?

The clicking sounds makes me think something is wrong with one of the magnets? I hope it's not a bent axle but where could I buy a new one? Or am I looking at replacing the entire motor? Hopefully I can removed the sized axle and take a look, the fact it's stuck also points to a bent axle :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Funky said:

Did you try putting "penetrating" oil on axle/bearing spray on there (puddle amount) and let it sit there for a while.. It seems the axle "rod" is stuck in bearing hole.

Yes I picked up a few brands of penetrating oil that I have been experimenting with but nothing works

30 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Where are the "phase wire terminals" located?

The phase wires are the green blue and yellow wires coming out of the motor. There should be a green, blue, yellow, and sensor cable. Make sure they are not shorted anywhere. By terminals I mean the connectors at the ends of those wires, if they are touching they are shorted. 

44 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Or am I looking at replacing the entire motor

You might be. If you melted the wires and shorted it you would probably need a new motor. If the axle is bent you probably need a new motor (it is often welded into the stator). If it is a broken magnet you may need a new motor. Unfortunately things aren't looking good.

I see you have the motor cover off a little bit, you can spin just the cover to see if the other bearing is okay. If both bearings are fine, then things don't look too good.

3 hours ago, Menace said:

By terminals I mean the connectors at the ends of those wires, if they are touching they are shorted

Oh great thank you so much sounds like you know what your talking about! I will try all this and hope to make a video showing how it was fixed so no one else has to go through this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Oh great thank you so much sounds like you know what your talking about! I will try all this and hope to make a video showing how it was fixed so no one else has to go through this

It is not certain that this is the problem, but it just came to mind and I try to eliminate the simpler problem first when I work on my own wheels so I thought I would mention it. I melted my 14s phase wires which caused it to cog. If the phase wires are shorted there should be a significant amount of resistance (caused by the back emfs in the coils, the physics is pretty interesting actually) to turning it as well as the cogging.

Hey @Menace, sounds like you know what your talking about, I was wondering where's a good resource to learn more about electric motors, how to fix them, build them and how they work etc?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Hey @Menace, sounds like you know what your talking about, I was wondering where's a good resource to learn more about electric motors, how to fix them, build them and how they work etc?

Most of what I know about electric motors comes from this forum, youtube, and hands on tinkering. I have also been learning more about magnetism, magnetic flux, induced currents, electricity, electronics, etc. from my Ap physics C class and an Electronics class I'm taking at my highschool. 

Did you manage to fix your motor or have you decided to get a new one?

if one of the magnets didnt come unglued, it could be a chunk of solder or a metal shaving causing the noise, or warped rim

undo the screws on the other side cover, get a wood 2x6 or thick book and then grab the tire and whack the axle end down hard on the phone book. some say you can break the sidecover but i never have

On 4/20/2022 at 9:56 AM, Menace said:

Did you manage to fix your motor or have you decided to get a new one?

Not yet but I finally got the other panel off a few moments ago! Now I found the magnets are so powerful I cant actually take the motor out lol

I may get a new motor but not sure if I want to keep investing into V10 right now when Im looking at other wheels... Spending another 500 on a V10 seems like a bad idea right now unless I can get a use motor or fix this one

Thank you @Goatman that worked! I'm making an updated video now.

I still don't see anything wrong here so I'm going to clean it up and put it back together and hope I don't have to take it apart again? lol

FIXED!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I just cleaned it up and the clicking sound is gone! I'm now putting the motor back together but first I'm going to put on a fresh new tire! Updated video coming this weekend sometime so no one has to try and figure this out in the future! Thank you again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, goatman said:

if one of the magnets didnt come unglued, it could be a chunk of solder or a metal shaving causing the noise, or warped rim

undo the screws on the other side cover, get a wood 2x6 or thick book and then grab the tire and whack the axle end down hard on the phone book. some say you can break the sidecover but i never hav

Thank you again this was the most helpful! Kind of funny I ended up using a paint can. lol Got it all back together now and its working good, still need to run a few more tests but will due as a backup wheel! It was a little shaky before I ran the calibration and seems to be ok, I still cant really trust it so I will keep that in mind and just use it for slow travel at first. I learned a lot with this repair and happy I didn't need to buy another motor!

I had 2 falls today while testing the wheel, the motor grinds and slips when on a on a steep hill?

I'm not sure yet if it's worse when the battery is low but that's when it happened... It works ok under normal use if I avoid hills and pushing it hard so I can still use it but just carefully?

Note: Motor sounds 50% louder now, more friction possibly should geese some parts?

I have 360 videos of the test and slipsouts / cutouts, just got back home and transferring to the macbook now and will post it by tomorrow or the next few days after I edit them

Edited by ElectronxCycles
typo fix

i was cleaning one of my DD hub motors and spokes with lots of wd40 and dosed the bearings real good while i was at it, the wd40 wrecked the grease in the bearings and the bearings sounded fried, couldnt find them in stock anywhere and couldnt wait, so

i pulled the side covers

used a little pick to gently pry the plastic cover off the bearing

re-packed with some Park Tool water proof bearing grease using my finger

put the plastic cover back on the bearing and it was good as new

BC Bearing in Surrey usually has most bearings in stock

Grin Technologies near broadway/commercial skytrain might have the ones you need if you look on their website

20 minutes ago, goatman said:

i was cleaning one of my DD hub motors and spokes with lots of wd40 and dosed the bearings real good while i was at it, the wd40 wrecked the grease in the bearings and the bearings sounded fried, couldnt find them in stock anywhere and couldnt wait, so

i pulled the side covers

used a little pick to gently pry the plastic cover off the bearing

re-packed with some Park Tool water proof bearing grease using my finger

put the plastic cover back on the bearing and it was good as new

BC Bearing in Surrey usually has most bearings in stock

Grin Technologies near broadway/commercial skytrain might have the ones you need if you look on their website

wd40 on bearings. :facepalm:

• Haha 1