Why v11 battery can only handle 5ah maximum?

pikachi

So I read on euco, 5ah, alien rides also told me 5ah charger is the safest. I read somewhere it can handle 6ah, but 6ah is very risky and can cause fire. So my question is, why can is it that the battery on the v11 are only able to handle 5ah? What's causing it to be unsafe to be charged up more?

Slight correction, it’s 5A (Amperes), not 5ah (Amp-Hours).

The exact design of the V11 charging circuit is not known, so we don’t know if it’s the BMS that can’t handle more than that safely, or if it’s just because Inmotion doesn’t offer a higher Amp charging solution themselves.

Either way, even if you’d risk it with a 8A charging solution, the difference in the charging time wouldn’t be worlds apart. After all, it would only benefit the CC stage of the charging process.

Do note that a single GX12-3 connector is rated to 5A, so you’d also have to split any higher charging current to both charging ports.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

IMO it is a mix of reasons. 5A is close to recommended max charge current for the cells (for some level of longevity and safety), so they optimized the relevant parts of the wheel for that current.

Inmotion V11 has 4 parallel cell group. Some V11s (not all batches though) have LG 21700 M50T cells. Looking at the datasheet, the max recommended charging current of those is 0.3C = 1.455A. Times 4: 5.82A.

If you are charging faster than that, the battery is aging faster and can warm too much, cause fire, etc. Doing 7,5 A (a 5A charger + stock 2.5A) once in a blue moon probably won’t be noticeable in the long term, but done frequently, it will make your battery die sooner. And going with 10+A is a risk that something will overheat.

(Yes, disclaimers apply, different temperatures means different recommended charging currents, etc.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is one guy on here (the Polish guy who developed EUC World I belive) who charged his V11 with 7,5A many times during a longer tour and he said it worked fine but he did that at his own risk ,and that he wouldnt really recommend charging at more than 6,5A for somebody else. I know that the GX12-3 charging port of my V10F gets pretty warm when I plug in my 5A charger.