Tire - Slime

Funky

Hello i was wondering is this stuff really working? Do they stop all air lose in tire? Like having a small, very small(micro) air lose over 2-4 days.

Even at bigger holes like from thorns, small nail?

Anyone who has some tire sealant inside, have you noticed when changing tire some holes that been patched?

Are most of these "slimes" the same at the end? Or is there some kind of a difference? I'm thinking getting this tire sealant from amazon:

For 18xl i should fill 4oz(120ml) it seems?

71wlOzvOFJL._AC_SX425_.thumb.jpg.fa9b3e1950459e56ac608f15e4027331.jpg

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

Here is a good video.  He seems to always use it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Funky said:

Hello i was wondering is this stuff really working? Do they stop all air lose in tire? Like having a small, very small(micro) air lose over 2-4 days.

Even at bigger holes like from thorns, small nail?

Anyone who has some tire sealant inside, have you noticed when changing tire some holes that been patched?

Are most of these "slimes" the same at the end? Or is there some kind of a difference? I'm thinking getting this tire sealant from amazon:

For 18xl i should fill 4oz(120ml) it seems?

I do food delivery on my ebike full time and get punctures in my tire all the time. The slime works very well. The only time it will stop working is when the hole gets "too big" or if your tube starts to look like it was hit with a shotgun spread. Hands down, the best stuff I've used so far related to flat tires. I have it in my 16X as well. It will extend the life of your tube in multiples. That is the same slime I use

Edited by bkw
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Here is a good video.  He seems to always use it.

xD That's why i made the post as i watched the same video.

7 minutes ago, bkw said:

I do food delivery on my ebike full time and get punctures in my tire all the time. The slime works very well. The only time it will stop working is when the hole gets "too big" or if your tube starts to look like it was hit with a shotgun spread. Hands down, the best stuff I've used so far related to flat tires. I have it in my 16X as well. It will extend the life of your tube in multiples. That is the same slime I use

They say it's good for "2" years. Does it go bad over time? Or wheel start melting after those "2" years? :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Funky said:

xD That's why i made the post as i watched the same video.

They say it's good for "2" years. Does it go bad over time? Or wheel start melting after those "2" years? :D 

Well, I get punctures so often on my ebike due to the city and drunkards breaking glass on the street every weekend that there is no way any tube would last 2 years for me. The slime remains wet until exposed to air for a while, so in the air-pressurized vacuum that is inside your tube, I can see it lasting 2 years if you ride your wheel around and not let it sit for 2 years lol. For me, I know the slime will outlast all my tubes, period. It's well worth the price of the slime, especially when it comes to expensive EUC tubes. It will extend the life of your tube guaranteed. I pulled a small screw out my tire the other day and the slime filled the hole and it hasn't gone flat since. However, have enough punctures, and if the hole gets too large, then there is no saving your tube unless you patch it with rubber or something

Edited by bkw
  • Like 1

Slime or not.. I only use it once I start having a problem. I have it in my tubeless mtens. I don't have any in my tubed wheels. There's a difference in tube vs tubeless variants. Anyhow, this topic has been beaten to death, I'm just to lazy to find the link. I'm not a fan of having to use slime, but you do what ya gotta do. SO far, I havent had enough flat tubes to warrant it. I stock a spare tube and will likely patch a few before I finally give in to using slime. THe mtens needed it, simply because of the playdoh tire and its propensity to get teeny holes from spins on asphalt.

2 years huh? Maybe some validity in it, or perhaps marketing a little. I wouldnt worry about it. If you fill it, thats pretty much gna be that until its time to replace the entire tube. Unused slime in a bottle should have a shelf life of many years.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bkw said:

It's well worth the price of the slime, especially when it comes to expensive EUC tubes

In a 2inch tire, you can put a cheap bike tube - works A1 and costs very little...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redsnapper said:

In a 2inch tire, you can put a cheap bike tube - works A1 and costs very little...

Awesome. But don't you need a bent valve for the EUC? Not sure how many bike tubes have bent valves?

16 minutes ago, bkw said:

Awesome. But don't you need a bent valve for the EUC? Not sure how many bike tubes have bent valves?

I guess depends on how the shell of the EUC is designed for valve access - IM v5 v8 v10 had a little flap you could lift to access the valve stem. Not sure how much clearance the other brands leave for accessing valve stem? but having to buy a specialized tube with a parallel stem is bad design imo... you can buy angled stem extenders that might be used to adapt a bike tire - 

https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Extensions-Extension-Motorcycle-Including/dp/B088R8MLD6

Edited by redsnapper

45 minutes ago, bkw said:

Well, I get punctures so often on my ebike due to the city and drunkards breaking glass on the street every weekend that there is no way any tube would last 2 years for me. The slime remains wet until exposed to air for a while, so in the air-pressurized vacuum that is inside your tube, I can see it lasting 2 years if you ride your wheel around and not let it sit for 2 years lol. For me, I know the slime will outlast all my tubes, period. It's well worth the price of the slime, especially when it comes to expensive EUC tubes. It will extend the life of your tube guaranteed. I pulled a small screw out my tire the other day and the slime filled the hole and it hasn't gone flat since. However, have enough punctures, and if the hole gets too large, then there is no saving your tube unless you patch it with rubber or something

Yeah.. Compared to you, i have gotten maybe 2-3 flats over 5 years on regular bike. (One when i drove over a glass bottle that broke right under me. :D Wasn't looking where i was driving +it was dark..)

41 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Slime or not.. I only use it once I start having a problem. I have it in my tubeless mtens. I don't have any in my tubed wheels. There's a difference in tube vs tubeless variants. Anyhow, this topic has been beaten to death, I'm just to lazy to find the link. I'm not a fan of having to use slime, but you do what ya gotta do. SO far, I havent had enough flat tubes to warrant it. I stock a spare tube and will likely patch a few before I finally give in to using slime. THe mtens needed it, simply because of the playdoh tire and its propensity to get teeny holes from spins on asphalt.

2 years huh? Maybe some validity in it, or perhaps marketing a little. I wouldnt worry about it. If you fill it, thats pretty much gna be that until its time to replace the entire tube. Unused slime in a bottle should have a shelf life of many years.

Could buy and keep it till i get a flat then. :) Much easier to fill in slime vs  opening wheel and patching the tube. Or use when you notice tube is losing air over some days.

Why aren't you a fan of using it? Is there some drawbacks from having ~100ml in tube? Not much of a weight increase. I'm lazy as duck also. Don't wanna go taking 2hrs fixing tire. (Even if i get one flat in a year) So that's why i was wondering about slime.:D 

10 minutes ago, redsnapper said:

I guess depends on how the shell of the EUC is designed for valve access - IM v5 v8 v10 had a little flap you could lift to access the valve stem. Not sure how much clearance the other brands leave for accessing valve stem? but having to buy a specialized tube with a parallel stem is bad design imo... you can buy angled stem extenders that might be used to adapt a bike tire - 

https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Extensions-Extension-Motorcycle-Including/dp/B088R8MLD6

Most euc that i have seen that has "angled" valve don't have "height" clearance. That's why it's angled at first place. Or riding could catch a tree branch or something on it.

Edited by Funky

30 minutes ago, Funky said:

Yeah.. Compared to you, i have gotten maybe 2-3 flats over 5 years on regular bike. (One when i drove over a glass bottle that broke right under me. :D Wasn't looking where i was driving +it was dark..)

Could buy and keep it till i get a flat then. :) Much easier to fill in slime vs  opening wheel and patching the tube. Or use when you notice tube is losing air over some days.

Why aren't you a fan of using it? Is there some drawbacks from having ~100ml in tube? Not much of a weight increase. I'm lazy as duck also. Don't wanna go taking 2hrs fixing tire. (Even if i get one flat in a year) So that's why i was wondering about slime.:D 

I just grew up patching tubes, so its not a big deal. Slime costed money and I just never bothered, as a kid. I see the validity in it for eucs and when people just keep having problems. Aside from it costing money, it can also be a mess when replacement time comes. Good luck patching a tube with slime, its a b*tch to clean off. To be fair, my reluctance to use it, is only very slight. I see it as an option of course. Not to jinx myself, but I've yet to have a flat on a tubed euc, in over 2 seasons. If i start having flats adn/or going on LONG and remote group rides, the benefit of slime could easily outweigh the puny cons of it. Its worth mention that Slime wont help for cuts due to rim impact on too low a pressure. Running low pressures like I do, is definitely a gamble as well.

I bought (had to order it) slime for tubeless tires for my 2 mtens (slime for tubed tires is way common in box stores). I also put some in my lawnmower tires. It worked on the mtens, but nothing was gna save that mower set. At any rate, I still have half a bottle left, so the investment isnt really much. Especially now that I make a little more than $5 a week allowance. I keep a spare tube around for ALL my wheels and a spare tire for the mtens. If i need use one, I'll order one. THUS, keeping me 1 ahead of the game to reduce downtime. I've been lucky about flats in the past and sometimes end up with spare tubes that never get used. Worth it....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I use a product called RideOn because I don't want to have a flat when I'm out in the woods and Slime didn't work in a bike tire (it was actually a pre-slimed tube for the bike).

I did unscrew a screw out of my RideOn equipped 16X tire (dang street riding) and haven't lost any air so if the screw made it to the tube the stuff did work. Given how not easy it is to fix a flat, I figure it's money well spent.

• Like 2

I started using Slime in car tires for probably more then ten years now. It works so well I don't patch tires. From my experiences, Slime doesn't dry up too easily inside a sealed tire. Slime supposedly is non-toxic. Also, it is water soluble. I have never had problems cleaning Slime out of a car tire. I have used Slime for tubeless tires in a bicycle tube. It worked fine. I have never got a puncture yet on an euc, so no experience there.

Also, over the years, I started to put in less than the recommended amount. And it still worked great. 

If you putting Slime in a tire that doesn't have a puncture yet, then it is simply a matter of getting the Slime in the tire. The end.

However, if the tire already has a puncture, then after you have inflated the tire, you would want the puddle of Slime inside the tire to be over the puncture. The puncture will get sealed pretty quickly. Then recheck your tire pressure, and put in more air if required. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Funky said:

How good do you think would this stuff be from aliexpress?

Give it a try, what could go wrong? (other than it doesn't work, or it turns into a slug in your tube, or it plugs the fill valve, or it's incompatible with vulcanized rubber, or…)

My very lazy self says: there are products that have a track record—sure, they are expensive and new products come online all the time. But are you a 1st batch wheel buyer?

32 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Give it a try, what could go wrong? (other than it doesn't work, or it turns into a slug in your tube, or it plugs the fill valve, or it's incompatible with vulcanized rubber, or…)

Yeah.. i get that you mean.

My very lazy self says: there are products that have a track record—sure, they are expensive and new products come online all the time. But are you a 1st batch wheel buyer?

Well i went in store and bought my 18xl without doing euc research. (All i knew was kingsong didn't make crap. And that i wanted 18" wheel, but same time lightest possible.)  Later i did euc research and what not.. Now knowing that "we" are the guinea pigs. To answer to your question: No good sir/lady/thing, i am not a guinea pig.

Yeah 10$ more are worth for tested product. But there are times when "off brand" products work better than real ones.. xD

Edited by Funky

10 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I use it so I don’t have a flat like 30 miles from my car. It’s cheap insurance that works. 

i had a used v8 - got a flat far from home. tire deflated so fast i had to jump off wheel or crash.  when i got home and took the tube off rim, it was full of slime! didnt prevent my flat at all... had i known (and had a portable pump) i could hv tried to align the puncture with ground and reflate. maybe i coulda made it home instead of waiting for a pickup  with my sad useless v8.