EUC Broken Shoulder Survey

EUC Broken Shoulder Survey  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How did you break your shoulder?

• Direct shoulder impact
    • Elbow impact
    • Something else
  2. 2. What kind of shoulder pads were you wearing at the time?

• Motorcycle or motocross pads
    • Something else
    • None
  3. 3. About how fast were you riding at the time?

• 0-9mph
    • 10-19mph
    • 20-29mph
    • 30-39mph
    • 40+mph
  4. 4. About how much did you weigh at the time?

• <150lbs
    • 150-200lbs
    • 200-250lbs
    • 250+lbs

I find this important. Shoulder and clavicle are difficult to protect. We need to have a deeper understanding how the damage is happening. I would add more options: To question 1 if arm was fully extended and new question about the direction of impact (in polar coordinates).

Edited by Eucner
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boostnsvt said:

After looking back at my injury I think I injured it because I didn't know how to fall. This goes to say that even if I had shoulder pads, I think I still would of fractured it.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Knowing how to fall certainly increases your odds. Unfortunately it takes a lot of practice to make action fast enough. It is called a learned reflex. Did you have your injured arm stretched out when hitting ground?

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2022 at 3:36 AM, Eucner said:

I would add more options: To question 1 if arm was fully extended and new question about the direction of impact (in polar coordinates).

Yeah, I didn't realize outstretched arms were a common cause of shoulder injuries when I made the question. I'm not really sure what I'd do with the direction results, though.

9 hours ago, Boostnsvt said:

After looking back at my injury I think I injured it because I didn't know how to fall. This goes to say that even if I had shoulder pads, I think I still would of fractured it. The reason I think like it wouldn't of mattered is because I was falling forward and there is nothing to brace my impact besides my hands or arms. If your hands or arms take the forward momentum plus your weight you are more likely to break your forearm, hand, finger or something else.

My impression is that it would be safer to take some of the impact with your hands as opposed to the full hit to the shoulder. Hopefully the wrist guard would protect your hand at least, though it doesn't work every time.

8 hours ago, Eucner said:

Did you have your injured arm stretched out when hitting ground?

Based on the current survey results, no respondents have injured their shoulder due to outstretched arms so far.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Eucner said:

Did you have your injured arm stretched out when hitting ground?

I think I had my arm out and I hit my palm with the a large kinetic transfer though my elbow when it hit. My elbow was scrapped up because the pad moved and I got a big strawberry on my forearm. I can only assume it went like that because of the missing skin but cant be sure as I was either in shock or had a light concussion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Boostnsvt said:

I think I had my arm out and I hit my palm with the a large kinetic transfer though my elbow when it hit. My elbow was scrapped up because the pad moved and I got a big strawberry on my forearm. I can only assume it went like that because of the missing skin but cant be sure as I was either in shock or had a light concussion.

Thanks, it can be really difficult to analyze what actually happened. Everything is happening fast and trauma can wipe off part of the memory. When arm is stretched out the shoulder can get damaged from the initial palm impact going through to the arm, from the sudden violent wrench to the opposite of driving direction or from shoulder finally hitting the ground. That you think was the most likely damage scenario in your case?

I think it was the "sudden violent wrench to the opposite driving direction" becasuse my pads were plastic. The plastic on my hand hit, sliipped to my elbow pad plastic, smashed the plastic at an angle so it moved/slipped, then moved off my elbow to damage my forearm, then all my weight landed on my shoulder in an ackward way with enough force to "wrench" it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, supercurio said:

Hi @Skeptikos! Interesting to gather data on this.

I had two injuries around the shoulder (collarbone and top of humerus), but none of the shoulder itself.
Could you specify more precisely what you mean by shoulder?

I intended for this to include collarbones. I should have been more clear.

I wasn't thinking about the humerus, but if it's a break around the shoulder location, then sure, that too.

Edited by Skeptikos

• 2 weeks later...