Gotway 84v Charger

SlowJoe

Hello everyone. Hope you guys are staying safe and wearing some sort of protective gear. I was wondering if a 84v MCM5 V2 charger is able to charge a Tesla T3? 
 When I plug in the charger, the charger’s light goes solid red, then I hear a click, then it starts flashing red 🤷🏻‍♂️. Does this mean that the charger is defective or bad? Has this happened to anyone? Any information or comment would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys and ride safe and wear protective gear!👍

Edited by SlowJoe

1 hour ago, SlowJoe said:

wondering if a 84v MCM5 V2 charger is able to charge a Tesla T3?

Yes. All GW/BG 84V chargers are compatible.

When I plug in the charger, the charger’s light goes solid red, then I hear a click, then it starts flashing red

Please try it this way:

1. Begin with the EUC off and everything unplugged.
  2. Connect the charger to your AC wall power. (Light should be solid green)
  3. Then connect the charger to your EUC. (Light should be solid red)
  4. (optional) turn on the EUC while charging, and display the voltage (using EUC World or Darknessbot). It should slowly increase, with perhaps 0.1V rise every 10 minutes.

If you don't get a solid green light at step 2, your charger is not working properly.

• Thanks 1

A click coming from the charger typically but not always means that the charger decided it needed to abort. This can be because the wheel BMS said "stop now, right now" or because the charger determined something wasn't right (usually that it was being asked to deliver more current than it could supply).

Honestly, it could be either, but it's fairly easy to check—see above. You could also very carefully use a multimeter to verify the voltage the charger is putting out when it is not connected to the wheel and if that's ok, see if the charger works on another GW wheel. Likewise, trying a different charger on your T3 would give you a clue that the problem is or isn't with the wheel.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When I plug in the charger, the charger’s light goes solid red, then I hear a click

Is the click coming from the charge port?  My Mten3 sparks a tad if the charger is unplugged when I attach it to the wheel.

• Like 1

Guys I thank you so much for replying to my post. It’s alleviating to get some help when having no clue on what’s going on . As the first comment says the light should be solid green when I plug it in to the AC outlet and it’s not, it blinks green. If I plug it to the wheel while it’s off a clicks and the light turns solid red then it clicks again then it flashes red. Safe to assume that is the charger. I will try to pick one up from one of the guys in NYC. Thank you so much guys again🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Yes. All GW/BG 84V chargers are compatible.

Please try it this way:

1. Begin with the EUC off and everything unplugged.
  2. Connect the charger to your AC wall power. (Light should be solid green)
  3. Then connect the charger to your EUC. (Light should be solid red)
  4. (optional) turn on the EUC while charging, and display the voltage (using EUC World or Darknessbot). It should slowly increase, with perhaps 0.1V rise every 10 minutes.

If you don't get a solid green light at step 2, your charger is not working properly.

I stopped at that number two. It flashes green. That’s step number three and it stays red for about two seconds, then it clicks, then the light starts flashing red. Safe to assume the charger is bad?I stopped at that number two. It flashes green. That’s step number three and it stays red for about two seconds, then it clicks, then the light starts flashing red. Safe to assume the charger is bad?

6EB4C8FB-0097-46A0-A90A-865D83DDDB1F.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's really difficult to know as I don't have "that model" of charger... but as a data point, none of the 3 chargers I own flash green when disconnected. They all stay steady green until they're plugged into the wheel, then they go steady red.

Consequently, I'd be hunting a different charger to see what happens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

none of the 3 chargers I own flash green when disconnected. They all stay steady green until they're plugged into the wheel, then they go steady red.

Add one more.  My Mten3 charger stays solid green until I plug it into wheel.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thanks 1

When I first plug in the original charger that came with my new T3 into an AC outlet, the charger does indeed goes solid green. Then I plug the charger cable into my  T3 charging port, the charger goes solid red. After the T3 is fully charged, the charger goes solid green again. I have seen no other LED pattern variations on the T3 charger yet.

Oh, if I decide to unplug the charging cable first from the T3 while it is charging, the charger will go back to a solid green. I have never seen a flashing green on that charger yet.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1