Nikola+ 3600Wh? Is it possible?

TantasStarke

Looking at teardowns of the Nikola+ it looks like there's a lot of empty space inside, and I know companies like Alien Rides already added a 3rd pack making the wheel 2700Wh (I snagged one of those, been loving it), but was wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible to squeeze another 900Wh pack in there and make it 3600Wh, or if the only option would be something smaller like a 3150Wh EX.N mod a friend is doing. Been loving the range but I could never have enough range when riding at high speed

7 hours ago, Paradox said:

That looks to be exactly what my buddy is doing for his EXN. Something like that is probably definitely possible, still wondering if I could go balls to the wall though and squeeze in another 900wh pack, 3600Wh would be insane. Maybe somehow squeeze in 2 450's?

• 2 weeks later...

just my 2c, but that 3600wh nik+ looks like a hack job. two battery packs with their bms' stacked like pancakes. No foam to cushion from bobbling down the road. Any impacts are going straight into the cells and the bms. Not a recipe for success.

Also as an aside, a lot of these aftermarket battery upgrades are suspicious. No additional bms added, just more cells attached to an existing one. There's some cases of fires out there even from units shipped from Aliexpress as "factory" packs. But in reality the wheels were shipped without batteries, and hobbyist-type resellers slapped in what arbitrarily makes sense to them with the empty space they saw. It's a crap shoot.

Unless you really know what you're doing, or are at peace with potentially serious consequences, I'd stick with stock set ups, or modifications already tried and true from reputable dealers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Curious. Is the 2700Wh any better?

I get 15-20 more miles on my 2700Wh Nik+ than my 1500Wh Kingsong 18XL when I set a speed alarm to 30mph on both, so it's definitely worth. I got 45 miles on it and I'm a heavy rider. 3600Wh I estimate would get me close to 60 miles at that speed. I'm currently looking into trying an S18 to see how I like a suspension wheel, and if I do I'll get an S20 or a Master, and if I don't I'm looking at either a Sherman Max, Commander, or Monster Pro for a high speed 3600Wh wheel. I tried a V11 and hated it. The suspension did it's job wonderfully, but it did it too well. I couldn't feel a single thing on the road and I felt disconnected, and I like being able to feel the road

11 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

I'm currently looking into trying an S18 to see how I like a suspension wheel

Be certain to take the time to set the suspension up for your weight and "feel". What's kind of fun is the S18 allows you to lock the suspension out, so you can ride it around with the suspension locked out to get a feel for "just the wheel", then ride the same route with the suspension operational.

I've never bothered to get on a V11 because the setup is less easy, but don't discount trying that wheel if you can take the time to set it up.

A badly setup suspension can be dangerous!

Edited by Tawpie

8 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

I'm currently looking into trying an S18 to see how I like a suspension wheel

It is under powered if pressed hard. 

7 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

I get 15-20 more miles on my 2700Wh Nik+ than my 1500Wh Kingsong 18XL when I set a speed alarm to 30mph on both, so it's definitely worth. I got 45 miles on it and I'm a heavy rider. 3600Wh I estimate would get me close to 60 miles at that speed. I'm currently looking into trying an S18 to see how I like a suspension wheel, and if I do I'll get an S20 or a Master, and if I don't I'm looking at either a Sherman Max, Commander, or Monster Pro for a high speed 3600Wh wheel. I tried a V11 and hated it. The suspension did it's job wonderfully, but it did it too well. I couldn't feel a single thing on the road and I felt disconnected, and I like being able to feel the road

That sounds good. Do you consider the extra pack placement to be allright? There was the question that the two extra packs (3600) might be poorly protected from vibrations/friction.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

That sounds good. Do you consider the extra pack placement to be allright? There was the question that the two extra packs (3600) might be poorly protected from vibrations/friction.

I've been talking to a friend who builds battery packs for custom e-bikes about it, he didn't think it would be a major issue for normal riding. In the case of a crash you should be inspecting the inside anyways so he didn't deem it a danger. I'm still not sure I'll go through with it, Like I had said I'm either going to be getting a 3600Wh wheel or an S20/Master, and if I go through with a 3600Wh wheel there's no real need for me to make this one any larger. I wish I had more information on the guy who has actually done this modification, but all the info I have on it is that one image