Looking to buy some spike pedals for 16x

BKW

If anyone has some, or can make some, spiked pedals for the 16x I would consider buying them. Ideally I'm looking for something similar to Teknika4 spiked pedals, but I don't think they are in stock. I'd also buy something like a hex pedal with spikes and holes in them if available.

Let me know exactly what kind they are and pictures if possible and reach out to me. I'm in NYC.

Thank you

Edited by bkw
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 8:55 PM, bkw said:

If anyone has some, or can make some, spiked pedals for the 16x I would consider buying them. Ideally I'm looking for something similar to Teknika4 spiked pedals, but I don't think they are in stock. I'd also buy something like a hex pedal with spikes and holes in them if available.

Let me know exactly what kind they are and pictures if possible and reach out to me. I'm in NYC.

Thank you

If you was in UK. I would have offered you a pair of these

Screenshot_20220201-054551.png

• Like 1

oh. If you're on a budget and into a little diy, I used studded grip tape on my 16X. The studded grip tape worked so well I cancelled my order for Hextechs. I like it better than the Fish inserts that I have on my S18 because the studded grip tape sheds snow and the bare aluminum inserts... not so much. Details at the bottom of this thread.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

oh. If you're on a budget and into a little diy, I used studded grip tape on my 16X. The studded grip tape worked so well I cancelled my order for Hextechs. I like it better than the Fish inserts that I have on my S18 because the studded grip tape sheds snow and the bare aluminum inserts... not so much. Details at the bottom of this thread.

Brilliant! Didn't know these existed. Going to look into this!

Just an update on this:

I was searching to buy some studded grip tape and stumbled upon what I was looking for:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003135754704.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.526dd11dxZP1Vs

For the price, it's decent considering how pricey EUC pedals across the board are anyway. They are also honeycomb with nice grips on them. Ended up buying these.

Maybe someone comes across this thread and this link helps them as well.

Edited by bkw

8 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

@bkw that link is for S18 pedals... do they also make 16X?

Yeah, you need to click the forth picture to the right. You'll see it'll say "Color: 16X Black". There is one for the S18, Sherman, 18XL, and the 16X. You just need to select the one you want from the pictures.

When it comes in I might give an update on this thread and let you guys know what I think of them and if I ordered the right ones! Hopefully I did! ;)

Edited by bkw
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for the hex-spiked pedals I bought.

They are very quality pedals. The construction is strong and the spikes are really good.

I'm still getting used to them as my feet are accustomed to feeling the smaller stock pedals under my toes and heels. With these larger pedals I can't really feel where my toes or heel is because it's so large I can't feel the edge of the pedals (plus the spikes add to that lack of feeling of the pedal edges). I actually prefer to feel where my toes and heel is on the pedal as it feels like I have more control that way. However, with these the control does feel more stable, but my confidence is lower because lack of feeling where the edges of the pedals are (i'll probably get used to it eventually). It is true that my foot is less fatigued when riding these spiked pedals. Maneuverability is less due to their size and pedal scrape is higher, but they do have an option to tilt the pedal more with a screw to help with this, which I have not yet done. One thing for sure, these do not slip on the souls of your feet! A couple of times I almost fell over trying to dismount from the pedals because the spikes where inside the grooves of my shoes when I attempted to move them sideways off the pedals. I like having to slide my feet around on the stock pedals with the grip tape, but with these it is harder to move your feet around. All these things I will likely get accustomed to over time.

As I mentioned, I like to feel where my feet are on the pedals at all times, so what I've found is more confidence riding these spiked pedals with side pads because I can feel where my shin is against the pads as well as feeling where the toe catcher/pad is above my feet. I didn't need the side pads with the stock pedals to feel more confident before, because I could feel where my feet were without the pads on the stock pedals.

So far, the pros and cons:

Pros: feet will not slide, wheel feels sturdier, large surface to put your feet, less foot fatigue

Cons: hard to tell feel where your feet are on the pedals, more challenging to change foot position on pedals, feel like less maneuverability

Here are a few pictures I took with them attached to my 16X:

wVvIlzdW0UdCeIcW-pic-jpg.jpg

9Pqud0Z6mavCtblw-pic-jpg.jpg

eDE1cufrJHtvqd5x-pic-jpg.jpg

Edited by bkw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wow. Those are big! Great to see there's a workable option out there, thanks for the update. If you're anything like me, you'll come to really enjoy not having to worry about your feet slipping—and it takes a little learning to adjust your feet and dismount because you have to lift your foot. You'll get it soon enough.

What's the knob under your trolley handle for? Paint the whole thing red, add a yellow sticker or two and you can be riding a gas can instead of a suitcase. That'll turn some heads! 

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

wow. Those are big! Great to see there's a workable option out there, thanks for the update.

What's the knob under your trolley handle for? Paint the whole thing red, add a yellow sticker or two and you'll be riding a gas can instead of a suitcase. That'll turn some heads! 

Haha, thanks.

I did have some stickers on it before when I first got it but I kind of prefer the low profile look it has already.

That knob is actually a fob alarm I stuck to the 16X with velcro. I put it there because initially I wanted to do food deliveries on it and sometimes in NYC you have to walk up flights of stairs with no elevator so I wanted to put an active alarm on it and leave the wheel at the base of the stairs. I actually prefer to do deliveries on my ebike but I'll likely do some more deliveries on the EUC when the weather gets better during the summer or something.

The alarm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734QN8KR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Update:

These spiked pedals work too good. My feet are stuck like glue and it's very difficult to move my feet positions once I put them on. I think I much prefer moving my feet around for positioning, especially since it is very rare I mount my foot in the right position. I actually get more wobbles than I did with the stock pedals because positioning my feet is so difficult. Maybe if the weather is really bad or if I'm doing more off road these spiked pedals would come in handy, but they feel more of a burden than a solution, so I'll go back to my stock pedals for a while and keep experimenting.

On a side note, I stopped at a park to mess around with the pedals a bit and I was able to finally pendulum out of nowhere, so that was cool. I'm guessing something with the width and bulk of the pedals had something to do with it, but not sure.

Edited by bkw

On 2/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, bkw said:

These spiked pedals work too good.

:w00t2: Takes a bit of getting used to when you're repositioning your feet. Spikes require you to lift your foot off the pedal, so you get to learn one legged riding 'sooner'! You are correct that they are overkill for most street riding, but they are nearly mandatory for times when your foot gets muddy or snowy or sandy. Good thing they're easy to change, right?

You might try alternate footwear too, the spikes will grab the lugs of boots—smooth bottomed shoes might help, but have their own issues.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 1:08 AM, bkw said:

Update:

These spiked pedals work too good. My feet are stuck like glue and it's very difficult to move my feet positions once I put them on. I think I much prefer moving my feet around for positioning, especially since it is very rare I mount my foot in the right position. I actually get more wobbles than I did with the stock pedals because positioning my feet is so difficult. Maybe if the weather is really bad or if I'm doing more off road these spiked pedals would come in handy, but they feel more of a burden than a solution, so I'll go back to my stock pedals for a while and keep experimenting.

On a side note, I stopped at a park to mess around with the pedals a bit and I was able to finally pendulum out of nowhere, so that was cool. I'm guessing something with the width and bulk of the pedals had something to do with it, but not sure.

I got my self Hextech pedals. (They would fit 16x also BUT with original 16x  "L" hangers..)

As for you "feet" sticking to good to spiked pedals, i have a big TIP.

I also did not like that.. The small metal studs slashed my shoes up every time i moved my feet little bit.. As they where to "sharp" and they dig inside the shoe..

I changed "original" pedal studs for "hex socket screws" As they got bigger head, they don't dig in shoes and you can move you feet better.. Same time the grip is way, way better than regular sandpaper..

You could try out the hex screws. (Get them shorter.. So you can screw them all the way inside pedal, so head only sticks out..)

221005395861.jpg

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 6:08 PM, bkw said:

Update:

Youll get used to it, same with not having your feet of the edges. Tis a good thing your feet arent off the edges too much, as people tend to try and grip with their toes and it casues fatigue. Longer pedals DO let you move around on them, so now you can be off the front for long climbs or off the back for downhills.

My spiked pedals took a little bit of use to get the hang of them. They eat the bottom of my shoes and I was having a harder time getting my feet off the pedals. In the end, I can only say... "quit being so lazy". Yeah, lazily sliding yuor feet to dismount and lazily mounting with spikes, can end in falling over like a drunken harley rider at a stop light. After a few days tho, it ceases to be an issue. I dont slide/wiggle into place now, its an exercise in unloading a foot and moving it. Be sure to work on one footed riding and it makes the motion much easier.

Good looking gas can by the way! Looks like some good pedals you got too! Im rocking nylonove on the sherman but old flat ones on the 18xl. Its definitely a different feel, standing on spikes that eat shoes, vs sandpaper that doesnt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

You might try alternate footwear too, the spikes will grab the lugs of boots—smooth bottomed shoes might help, but have their own issues.

I tried with regular shoes once, and noticed it; later, I tried with boots. Both were too grippy.

HOWEVER, I was curious if these pedals had the spikes that were able to unscrew. I am happy to confirm that they do! So I will unscrew the spikes in certain areas where I would like to position my feet, and I will see if this helps some.

I realize there is confidence in having your feet not slide around, but I would also like to move my feet easier while riding. One thing I noticed is the spiked pedals gave me much more torque and for the first time I got my EUC almost at max speed without intending for it to do so.

46 minutes ago, Funky said:

I changed "original" pedal studs for "hex socket screws" As they got bigger head, they don't dig in shoes and you can move you feet better.. Same time the grip is way, way better than regular sandpaper..

You could try out the hex screws. (Get them shorter.. So you can screw them all the way inside pedal, so head only sticks out..)

This is a creative idea. I will definitely try this if I can't find a happy medium with the spikes already installed. The spikes are very small though so the hex screw will have to also be very small, which I can't recall hex screw of that size off the top of my head, but I'll look around if all else fails. Thanks!

Edited by bkw

31 minutes ago, bkw said:

This is a creative idea. I will definitely try this if I can't find a happy medium with the spikes already installed. The spikes are very small though so the hex screw will have to also be very small, which I can't recall hex screw of that size off the top of my head, but I'll look around if all else fails. Thanks!

My case i used 4x8 screws, (Hex screw head is around ~4mm height and ~7mm wide)

I really recommend them. <3 I mostly changed the original (studs almost same as yours..) Because they where destroying me shoes. xD

• Like 1

Update:

I rode hours today on the 16X after replacing the BD pedals with the stock pedals. I have to say, I much prefer the stock pedals to the spiked honeycomb pedals. I felt more in control of the wheel and I could also move my feet around.

This was all a big experiment for me because I wanted the spiked pedals, so I'm learning. I don't think I'll use the spiked pedals much unless it's really nasty outside or off-roading somewhere major (unlikely in Manhattan). The slippage on the stock pedals are very minor and any concerns over bumps and feet launching are taken care of with the jump pads I have installed. Also, I rode for hours today and didn't feel any foot fatigue, probably because my feet are getting used to riding more?

I'm also at that point now with my riding where I'm starting to hit top speed on the 16X without trying and feeling limited by it. My mind has already been mauling over a more speedy wheel in the future. I am glad I bought these spiked pedals for experience purposes as well as backups for the time being. Also, if I get another wheel, I am assuming I could use them interchangeably if need be due to the spacers provided.

Edited by bkw

29 minutes ago, bkw said:

Update:

I rode hours today on the 16X after replacing the BD pedals with the stock pedals. I have to say, I much prefer the stock pedals to the spiked honeycomb pedals. I felt more in control of the wheel and I could also move my feet around.

This was all a big experiment for me because I wanted the spiked pedals, so I'm learning. I don't think I'll use the spiked pedals much unless it's really nasty outside or off-roading somewhere major (unlikely in Manhattan). The slippage on the stock pedals are very minor and any concerns over bumps and feet launching are taken care of with the jump pads I have installed. Also, I rode for hours today and didn't feel any foot fatigue, probably because my feet are getting used to riding more?

I'm also at that point now with my riding where I'm starting to hit top speed on the 16X without trying and feeling limited by it. My mind has already been mauling over a more speedy wheel in the future. I am glad I bought these spiked pedals for experience purposes as well as backups for the time being. Also, if I get another wheel, I am assuming I could use them interchangeably if need be due to the spacers provided.

Well i would not count them fitting different wheel.. As they got different "L" hangers.. So it may not even fit.

Like 18xl and 16x they have completely different hangers.

Just my 2 cent's.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Funky said:

Well i would not count them fitting different wheel.. As they got different "L" hangers.. So it may not even fit.

I believe those use a wheel-specific connection to the pedal hanger and you should be able to get the connection for another wheel, reusing the pedal part. Or at least that was the hope—I don't know if you can just buy the connection separately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the pedals:

I'm still using the stock pedals now, and I prefer them over the spiked pedals, currently. As some of you know well, I've noticed a big difference when riding with my regular shoes and with boots. My shoes slide more than I'd like, but the boots are perfect for what I want. Adding some side/jump pads to the wheel with the boots and it's ideal for me with the stock pedals.

A little off topic with jump pads:

For jump pads I was using the Urban Star Sai pads. I recently got the Gen 3 foam clark pads. The clark pads are far superior in my opinion. Originally, I avoided the clark pads mainly because the price and because I wasn't sure how well the Gen3 would work with the 16X, but they work great actually. The clark pads just feel better and don't grind up the side of my legs like the ridges of the Sai pads; they feel comfortable and work just as well if not better. The clark pads are the foam ones, and I am not sure how the more rigid versions would be, but I really like the foam ones.

Edited by bkw
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, bkw said:

Update on the pedals:

I'm still using the stock pedals now, and I prefer them over the spiked pedals, currently. As some of you know well, I've noticed a big difference when riding with my regular shoes and with boots. My shoes slide more than I'd like, but the boots are perfect for what I want. Adding some side/jump pads to the wheel with the boots and it's ideal for me with the stock pedals.

A little off topic with jump pads:

For jump pads I was using the Urban Star Sai pads. I recently got the Gen 3 foam clark pads. The clark pads are far superior in my opinion. Originally, I avoided the clark pads mainly because the price and because I wasn't sure how well the Gen3 would work with the 16X, but they work great actually. The clark pads just feel better and don't grind up the side of my legs like the ridges of the Sai pads; they feel comfortable and work just as well if not better. The clark pads are the foam ones, and I am not sure how the more rigid versions would be, but I really like the foam ones.

Foam? Won't they get destroyed easily? Or wear out really fast by shoe/leg rubbing?

In my eyes "GRIZZLA Pads" are somewhat best ones out there, at the moment. As they are "thicker" (They come more outwards) meaning more grip or so.

Have been thinking about pads my self. But they are to "expansive" for what they are.. Not worth 140$ in my eyes. Also how i'm riding, i don't really need them.

Edited by Funky

17 minutes ago, Funky said:

Foam? Won't they get destroyed easily? Or wear out really fast by shoe/leg rubbing?

In my eyes "GRIZZLA Pads" are somewhat best ones out there, at the moment. As they are "thicker" (They come more outwards) meaning more grip or so.

Have been thinking about pads my self. But they are to "expansive" for what they are.. Not worth 140$ in my eyes. Also how i'm riding, i don't really need them.

Yeah, my guess was that the grizzla pads are better, but they are also more expensive. The cost after shipping to NY is $200+, which is why I went with the clark pads. As far as the "foam" is concerned, it's obviously more than just foam. I don't really know how to describe it besides how the middle-arm-rest-island-thingies are in cars. They have a leather-like covering over them and are soft still. I imagine these will last even the worst of falls and then some. I think these are better than the 3D printed hard plastic due to comfort.

You can see the texture of the Gen3 clark pads here:

Gen3 Clark Pad picture

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Funky said:

Also, I'd say having pads gives you more control over acceleration and braking. It also keeps your feet locked in place for a variety of reasons. At first they didn't seem like much, but after some time it makes me more confident and I feel more in control of the wheel in general.

I'm sure you're aware, but you can make your own pads if you want using gym mats, etc. Law Laxina has a youtube video that shows you how to do it. I was going to do that but I was curious how manufactured ones would be and I guess I'm a little lazy as well:P