The Tiltback Feels Extreme

Dirk Disco

I've got about 6 months on my Ninebot and I still have issues with the severity of the tiltback I get for excessive speed and low battery.  For both it feels like I lose control of the Ninebot E+ for around 5 seconds (which feels like an eternity and could get you in serious trouble) all while I am trying to stay on my Ninebot in an awkward position.  Just the other day I had a low battery tilt back that literally felt like the ninebot was actually speeding up and the tilitback was so extreme I did my "jump off the back move" only to watch my Ninebot continue to travel a bit before falling over.  Maybe this is normal and it's just me but I can't seem to get used to it when it happens.  Luckily I was on an empty street.  I'm around 190 lbs (87 KG) running version 1.35.

The purpose of tiltback is to give you a little slap on the wrist. :)  If tiltback is going to be used as a warning mechanism, it needs to be severe because the conditions (excessive speed, low battery) are severe and likely to cause injury.

Regarding the speed up to tiltback:  The only method by which a wheel can tilt back is to speed up.  There is no other mechanism to produce the sensation of tilting.  The software engineers have deemed it so important to warn you of low battery that they're willing to spend a higher amount of the remaining energy just to speed you up, tilt you back, and slap your wrist as a warning that a cutout is imminent.

Guys lets now confuse two things here. 

1) the max angle of the tiltback

2) the tiltback behavior - how fast it kicks in, does it go all the way if you are just beyond the max speed, how fast do the pedals return to normal after the rider has reduced speed below max, etc,

For 1) there should be question that tiltback needs to reach the inridable angle if the rider keeps accelerating.

i believe what @Dirk Disco is saying here, the kick back is really vigorous as it kicks in fast and can cause you to lose balance as it is so rapid and unexpected which will fall under 2) . When i tried the ninebot i had the same sensation - it fels like i may lose balance as the tiltback was too rapid. On my earlier kingsong tiltback was perfect - it was still very pronounced in terms of the angle but it kicked in much smoother. Different unicycles have different tiltback behaviors. The latest kingsong made the tiltback even smoother whoch is very gentle and cannot cause you to lose balance, even though i prefer the earlier version of the tilt back.

the only solution for Dirk is to get used to the way it kicks in and be able to anticipate it, one can get used to anything....or change the wheel

33 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

It is not unexpected.  It's at the maximum rated speed.

Very easy to expect it.

maybe i didnt use the right word. Well how do you know you are at the top speed??? You cant know exactly. So yes you can expect it to kick in but by virtue of it kicking in hard and fast it becomes in a way unexpected. 

If tiltback started slowly without jeopardising your balance, just raise the pedals slightly, , then youd be alert that more is coming and expect a further increase in angle.  This is what i meant.

9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

If tiltback started slowly without jeopardising your balance, just raise the pedals slightly, , then youd be alert that more is coming and expect a further increase in angle.  This is what i meant.

Thats the way tiltback starts normaly on my ninebot - nice and easy. But quite some firmware versions ago i had quite a similar experience. I was riding well above 10 km/h and suddenly the tiltback came very extreme, until i managed it to regain balance and get below the 10 km/h - and i could not go faster then. This was quite a rude way of the ninebot telling me, that the first speed reduction because of lower battery started...

@Dirk Disco: Do you already have firmware version 1.3.5 and was it the same situation you described?

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. I'm running 1.3.5 and a big fat zero for the riding level.   I keep my toes over the peddle a smidge while riding.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, musk said:

The purpose of tiltback is to give you a little slap on the wrist. :)  If tiltback is going to be used as a warning mechanism, it needs to be severe because the conditions (excessive speed, low battery) are severe and likely to cause injury.

Regarding the speed up to tiltback:  The only method by which a wheel can tilt back is to speed up.  There is no other mechanism to produce the sensation of tilting.  The software engineers have deemed it so important to warn you of low battery that they're willing to spend a higher amount of the remaining energy just to speed you up, tilt you back, and slap your wrist as a warning that a cutout is imminent.

The scary part is if it speeds you up into a dangerous situation with traffic.

2 hours ago, Dirk Disco said:

Yup. I'm running 1.3.5 and a big fat zero for the riding level.   I keep my toes over the peddle a smidge while riding.

When the motor has the bandwidth to perform a proper tiltback, the wheel is using that speed to travel underneath you and get out in front of you.  It out-accellerates your body to get out there in front.  Your body's center of mass shouldn't get much of a speed change - If tiltback propelled you faster, that would just feeli like normal acceleration.

4 hours ago, Dirk Disco said:

1 hour ago, musk said:

When the motor has the bandwidth to perform a proper tiltback, the wheel is using that speed to travel underneath you and get out in front of you.  It out-accellerates your body to get out there in front.  Your body's center of mass shouldn't get much of a speed change - If tiltback propelled you faster, that would just feeli like normal acceleration.

Could be that once the wheel tries to initiate a tiltback and does not have enough power available (and/or one leans too much foreward while this) it just gets faster and scares the driver without being able to really tiltback? 

Should/could be recognized and solved by the firmware - at least with wild beeping?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Could be that once the wheel tries to initiate a tiltback and does not have enough power available (and/or one leans too much foreward while this) it just gets faster and scares the driver without being able to really tiltback? 

Should/could be recognized and solved by the firmware - at least with wild beeping?

Yes that seems like a possibility to me.  I think it's a good argument for why some brands seem to limit the max speed of the wheel - they leave enough headroom to allow for a tiltback at the max allowed speed.

@Dirk Disco, it happened the same to me during four months or so. Now, there is not a big problem to me.

What it helped me a lot is to ride in high ride modes. I usually had been using mode 0. Now I ride in mode 6, which converts the pedals in a "not very stable surface". The pedals can move up and down a bit. And this help me a lot in the scary movement of the pedals when a tilt back takes place.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived