H-666 on a Sherman, has anyone tried it?

goos3man

So eWheels has the H-666 18x3.0 back in stock… has anyone tried it? I figured it’s pretty soft in comparison to the stock knobby, and the whole rim situation isn’t helping. Kinda hesitant with the whole moto feedback and the rim cracking, but maybe there’s a brave soul who gave it a shot. 

Edited by goos3man

• 2 weeks later...

H666 only fits on 40mm wide rims. It doesn't fit on the 60mm wide rim. I tried for a good 4 hours today. The inner bead diameter is smaller than the step in the V2 Sherman rim so it prevents it from seating. I'm super bummed. I enjoyed the H666 on the v1 when I road @Nick McCutcheon Sherman back in the day. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, FlyboyEUC said:

I'm super bummed. I enjoyed the H666 on the v1 when I road @Nick McCutcheon Sherman back in the day. 

@FlyboyEUC there is definitely a lot to be said for sticking with the 40mm V1 rim if at all possible IMO. 

Obviously, All newer Sherman's have been shipping with the wider 60mm rim for quite some time now (for better or worse), but I strongly believe that my V1 rim fitted with a Michelin City Pro 80/90-14 behaves brilliantly!

This is in stark contrast to the poor experience @supercurio had with the very same tire fitted to his Sherman's V2 60mm.

So glad that with my early batch Sherman (with Blue buttons), I chose Only to upgrade to the Newer pedal hangers but Not to the wider rim!

I've also heard great reports on the 80/90-14 Contiscoot performance fitted to a V1 40mm rim (and also the 60mm), but they are extremely hard to get a hold of and always sold out everywhere.

Will definitely be on the lookout to source one if at all possible, just as another option to try when the Michelin finally wears out.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

I’ve reached out to FB to clarify the whole situation with the 60mm v2/v3 rims. Apparently Flyboy was able to get the h666 on his v2 rim, he just didn’t update the post. Hopefully this is a reliable resource. I have a Sherman Max coming and I’d be definitely bummed if I couldn’t get my h666 on it this upcoming summer. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:12 PM, fbhb said:

there is definitely a lot to be said for sticking with the 40mm V1 rim if at all possible IMO

my 40 mm rim ejected my tire mid ride. Blew the board and damaged every component. The quote to repair it all was $700. Oh yeah, and I had 2 miles on the odometer. Gave myself a nasty scar and road rash. I wasn't fully geared since I was still feeling out the wheel and road to the bank to pick up some quarters. Stayed below 20 mph the whole time. I don't trust either rim. I plan on putting the H666 on the v1 rim once my V2 rim shatters. Here hoping I got a good one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FlyboyEUC said:

my 40 mm rim ejected my tire mid ride. Blew the board and damaged every component. The quote to repair it all was $700. Oh yeah, and I had 2 miles on the odometer. Gave myself a nasty scar and road rash. I wasn't fully geared since I was still feeling out the wheel

Sorry to hear your tire got thrown off the 40mm rim and you got scraped up! I presume this was the Kenda street tire (or was it the Knobby?) as that was the reason behind Jason getting Veteran to move to the wider 60mm I believe?

If it was indeed the Kenda Knobby, mine was shocking out of the box with a 6mm side to side wobble. It took me 3 separate massaging sessions, correcting by a couple of mm each time to get it satisfactory. 

In the end, due to riding primarily on the road with the Sherman, a moto street tire proved to be the very best option All round, which needed No effort at all to have it running pretty straight.

I feel sure the H666 will be great on the 40mm V1 rim, if that transpires!

Edited by fbhb

16 hours ago, fbhb said:

a moto street tire proved to be the very best option All round, which needed

The tire that was ejected was a moto tire at 40 psi. It was the IRC N77T 80/90-14. The inner bead is bigger in diameter than the H666 but not by much. I still have no idea why it would have ejected. Anyways, it seems to be doing well on the V2 rim. Further testing is going to happen this weekend.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 8:43 PM, goos3man said:

Apparently Flyboy was able to get the h666 on his v2 rim, he just didn’t update the post

To clarify this point. I got the h666 on the V2 rim, but it was never able to seat. If anyone has successfully seated the h666 on a V2 or v3 rim please let me know.