Street tire on KS18XL (Metzeler Sportec 70/90 R14)

digithom

10 hours ago, Funky said:

Well euc rim don't have that bead that tubeless tires needs.. So it will be extremely hard to get tire not lose air. (It's possible, i bet.. But not worth in my mind)

Also will there really be big difference tube or no tube?

I've seen a lot of transformation from tubed to tubeless rims, usually made on motorcycle rims with rays, they've simply sealed the holes where rays are attached to the rim (and we don't need this on our rim) and then installed the new valve and the tubeless tire, basically only the sealing is needed.
I suppose the same is possible on euc.

The difference is that in this way we can take out 300 grams of tube that is contributing to gyroscopic effect.
So, in my case, stock tire was 1kg vs 1.8kg of Metzeller, considering tube in both cases is 1.3kg vs 2.1kg, Metzeller is 60% heavier, but it could be 1.3kg(tubed) vs 1.8kg(tubeless) lowering the weight increase to 38%

Maybe I'll so crazy to disarm everything only to touch by hand the difference in gyro effect :D

10 hours ago, Funky said:

Ps. i had bars and psi mixed.. I rode stock 18x2.5 tire at ~2bars or 30psi.

K66 seems way to hard at that pressure, i will start at same. (But most likely go under 2bars or 30psi)

Ok, now I got you !
I couldn't figure how can you find usable a 3bar (43psi) tire, even with an important weight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, digithom said:

I'll also try to definitely transform it in to a real tubeless euc.

Trust me, you should be jumping-from-joy happy that you didn’t think of it before! I’ve done it on the MSX. It takes a horrible amount of work, especially to get a tire to seal on a rim that’s not made for tubeless operation. In addition, the EUC rim doesn’t center a tire like a MC (MotorCycle) or a car rim does.

Also, you need to drill a large hole in the rim for the tubeless valve, many of which are too short to be used on an EUC rim.

Also, you can’t take use of the lower pressures that bicyclists consider the main reason for going tubeless, because the tire doesn’t sit on anything, it’s just dangling against a flat edge, held in place only by friction. I wouldn’t have the guts to ride an EUC with a tubeless conversion under 2.0 bars.

The difference in gyroscopic effect is way too small to be noticed with or  without a tube. The tire tread and profile affect the riding characteristics maybe a 100 times more. I do admit that when riding over the same curb a dozen times, it is possible that the tubeless conversion was ever so slightly more comfortable over a sharp curb edge, but I would’ve never noticed that if I didn’t know what to look for.

I go to huge lengths over a tiny amount of added comfort, and I still won’t go tubeless on any EUC, ever again. That’s how useful it was…

16 hours ago, Funky said:

K66 seems way to hard at that pressure

I hope you’re not relying on finger pressure… A stiff tire feels like double the actual pressure that way. Just ride it at 2.0 bars (30 psi) for a while and then re-evaluate.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Trust me, you should be jumping-from-joy happy that you didn’t think of it before!

:roflmao:

Also, you can’t take use of the lower pressures that bicyclists consider the main reason for going tubeless, because the tire doesn’t sit on anything, it’s just dangling against a flat edge, held in place only by friction. I wouldn’t have the guts to ride an EUC with a tubeless conversion under 2.0 bars.

After this, very clear an logic explanation, I can only say that I've not considered all this and for sure you're right.
I don't want to imagine what happens if, after a hit, tire moves over the rim, it deflates and ... I don't want to imagine the next part of this movie :blink1:

I'll ride as it is :-) 

• Like 2

I go to huge lengths over a tiny amount of added comfort, and I still won’t go tubeless on any EUC, ever again. That’s how useful it was…

Dont forget about the tubeless mten being superior over a tubed model. Comparing apples to oranges, but a tubed mten seemed to eat itself. I agree tho, I wouldnt go tubeless on any of the other current wheels on the market. I like running low pressure as it is....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eucner said:

Not even with Veteran Abrams? It should come with a tubeless tire.

I need to quit using absolutes in my responses. I meant to say that I wouldnt go tubeless on any wheels designed for tubes(without serious inspection). I havent kept up with all the new releases and variants of rims. I just know I wouldnt trust a tubed rim, to properly hold a tire, without one. I'm sure theres a few rims out there that are made in a a way that they could fit a tubeless tire and be just fine(mten is kind of a baby oddball). Euc rims arent known to be highest quality or even straight. Unless they design a rim for a specific quality tire, I'd just keep a tube in it. Maybe an euc company has released a wheel that was designed with a scooter or motorcycle tubeless in mind. Maybe the Abrams was this way. If so, I'd run it tubeless, just as I do my mten.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1