V10F, S18, V11, or V12 Recommendation

Hello, I've been in the market for a commuter EUC for the last few months, trying to figure out which one would best fit my use case.

I have been told on Reddit that a V10F would most likely be the best fit for a new rider and my use case, but part of me wants a second opinion just to make sure I'd be making the right choice.  

I am 160 lbs, 5ft 8 inches. Using EUC to primarily commute to university, but down for some rides on the weekends

Commute is anywhere from 4-6 miles round trip

Longer route is mostly neighborhood streets, decent roads with a few potholes. The other route is more direct: limited to the sidewalk, which is usually empty but not the best conditions, where there are a few stretches of cracks and uneven terrain (jump pads might help clear one spot). On the longer route, my max speed on an ebike is 25-28 mph, whereas the max speed on the sidewalk route is 24mph. I prefer the more direct commute despite the bumps

Not many stairs to climb at any given point (if any), but I can carry a 65 lb dumbbell for short distances with one hand (so V12 isn't out of the question).

Am interested in group rides, so a 20 mile range would be nice

Reason why I wanted to consider more expensive wheels was to have enough headroom if I wanted to faster than 25 mph. Probably won't have any streets where I can go faster than 30mph, but having more torque/more speed would be nice, and I probably won't outgrow it as fast as the V10F.

What are your thoughts on the best wheel for my situation? Thanks

• Like 2

Of the mentioned wheels the S18 is the only one to avoid, since the suspension mechanism requires a huge overhaul for it to work as designed. There are several other reasons to avoid it as well, just search for S18 issues.

@Tawpie had good points, but I’m sure the recommendations you’ll get will vary wildly. There are simply several approaches to starting the EUC career, none necessarily the better than the other. Whether you’ll pick the best one for you is the luck of a draw, but that’s ok, since they all will take you to the same place in the end: Having the magic of EUC in your life.

In addition to the mentioned, 18XL and 16X might deserve a spot in your list as well.

Choosing the first wheel for their merits is very difficult. Choosing for their issues and quirks is probably easier. Pick one that you find the quirks to be the most manageable to you.

• Like 1

@Tawpie and @mrelwood

Thanks for the suggestions and good advice about starting my EUC career lol.  Since I have a 70+ lb ebike capable of reaching 32 mph, I think I'll hold off on purchasing a 30+ mph wheel.  If I were to go that route, I'd be spending more money for the wheel, extra protective gear, accessories, and losing out on one of the main reasons I wanted to try an EUC (the smaller package and more portability compared to my ebike).  Maybe in the future I can add a higher end EUC to my collection (probably the V12 to be honest), but for now, getting something lightweight that I can just hop onto to run to the grocery store/commute to campus makes more sense.

That said, I have narrowed the choice down to mainly two wheels: the V8S and the V10F.  (Also a small interest in the Kingsong 16S if someone can sway me towards it)

With the V8S, I'd get a:

• newer wheel
  • easier disassembly
  • lighter package
  • lower cost
  • slightly less range and top speed (21.7mph)

With the V10F, I'd get a:

• slightly more range and top speed (25mph)
  • speakers (although I hear they're pretty mediocre)
  • 12 more pounds of wheel
  • older wheel
  • more tedious disassembly
  • worse trolley handle

Anyways, which one would be the better one to get, with the fact that I'd most likely purchase a more powerful wheel in the future?

• Like 2

I have zero experience with either of these, but I wouldn't worry too much about ease of disassembly—it may never be necessary to take it apart and even the difficult ones don't require special tools or assembly jigs. I would actually favor an older design as well, they benefit from tried-and-true experience and that helps avoid the need for disassembly.

If you're interested in the V8 series, I'd look seriously at the MCM5v2 as well—kind of the same class. I haven't seen much written about the V8 series and don't know why... maybe it's because they're 'small' and 'slow', but the MCM gets pretty high marks on this forum.

"Get the biggest battery you want to afford/carry" is still my advice. BTW, if you're buying new, you're getting close to the price range of a used 16X/18XL. There's a lot to be said for gently used wheels and these are a definite step up, especially if you are going on group rides (you can hang with the EUC riders, and don't have to stay at the back of the pack)

• Like 1

Once you got the how to take the side covers of the V10f then it isn't that big a problem. 

With the battery history recently from Begode or GW  I can't understand how someone can consider buy those models. 

Between the V8s and V10f I would choose the V10f any day. It is about it is stronger and more battery yet still work as a light wheel vs once you grow into an upgrade. Now once you upgrade I am pretty sure you will prefer the V10f as the small backup. Once you are on a powerful wheel going back down is very easy to forget the limitation of a smaller wheel. 

I wouldn't class the trolley of V10f as worse. The scorpion design has it pro and cons. The big benafit is using it when not fully extended /locked. 

Also having 2.5" wide tire is a benafit too. 

• Like 3

The V10F does make a whole lot of sense for your needs and your size, good choice! It has much more range than you think you’d be satisfied with, but not as much for top speed. I wouldn’t worry though, while one can get used to any speed, 24mph on an EUC already takes time for you to be able to ride safely at. And probably for you even to want to, for that matter.

And even if you reach the max speed eventually, the V10F will simply safely prevent you from going faster by a fixed tilt-back function. Some manufacturers (like the mentioned Gotway/Begode) may require for you to remove the tilt-back altogether to ride faster speeds. And if you do, the wheel will simply throw you off if you reach the maximum.

• 4 months later...

@LeKeiser Hi, I ended up with a Kingsong 16X that I bought used. Pretty good option as I’m able to keep up on most group rides, speed and range wise. However, I am in the market for a faster, suspension wheel already haha. Still love the 16X though as it’s well rounded for its size, but if I were in the market for a 16 inch wheel, I would probably go with the Nikola AR+ for some extra range and speed. 16X or V11 are the best for commuting, whereas a V12 or Nikola AR+ is good for fast, long group rides.  I don’t like the handle of the Nikola as much as the 16X, which is important when bringing the wheel into buildings, classrooms, metro rail, etc.

Next wheel I’ll get is either a Sherman Max to survive on the longer group rides, or faster suspension wheel to worry less about bumps and cracks while going faster than 29mph. 

If there was a 18 in suspension wheel that had >2500wh, weighed less than 75lbs, and could go 40 mph, that would be my next wheel. Begode Master is fairly close, but still on the first batch.

Edited by Alton Dillon
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi.

Even though the topic is old, I wanted to ask under this title so as not to open a new one: 

When a new model is released, it is expected to be sold at a higher price compared to the previous model, as there will be some improvements. But the situation in Inmotion v11 and v12 is different. v12 is about 250 euros cheaper. why is that? 

source: https://inmotion-store.com/product/inmotion-v11/

21 minutes ago, TimucinPusat said:

Hi.

Even though the topic is old, I wanted to ask under this title so as not to open a new one: 

When a new model is released, it is expected to be sold at a higher price compared to the previous model, as there will be some improvements. But the situation in Inmotion v11 and v12 is different. v12 is about 250 euros cheaper. why is that? 

source: https://inmotion-store.com/product/inmotion-v11/

Inmotion has a weird naming scheme for their wheels. V12 is not an upgraded V11. It's a different wheel category. One difference is lack of suspension. It came out after V11 but cannot be compared directly in price. 

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Inmotion has a weird naming scheme for their wheels. V12 is not an upgraded V11. It's a different wheel category. One difference is lack of suspension. It came out after V11 but cannot be compared directly in price. 

Well, I see. It is indeed a silly naming, then. 

Does the brand matter? As far as I can see, at least in the country where I live, Inmotion and Kingsong are available. They are both Chinese companies. Which of these brands should I prefer?

Then which model should a beginner prefer? Inmotion v11 v6 or Kingsong Ks-S18 V2 were suggested. What do you think? 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, TimucinPusat said:

Well, I see. It is indeed a silly naming, then.

Yes. It’s a chronological one, which tells nothing about the product itself. Though I can’t say that others are doing much better in this regard.

Does the brand matter?

It does. Different manufacturers have different “house” styles, ergonomics, and concentrations. All EUC companies are Chinese, and even located in the Shenzhen area. Which one you should prefer is a question you’ll be able to answer in time after having tried several models of each. They all exist for a reason.

Then which model should a beginner prefer? Inmotion v11 v6 or Kingsong Ks-S18 V2 were suggested. What do you think? 

V11 vs S18 has several threads and YouTube comparisons. I suggest you look into those to get a more comprehensive view. I have a strong opinion on the matter based on what I’ve tried and seen, but it’s only a single opinion after all. Both have been enough of a wheel for years for some riders.

Some riders start with a small 14” wheel, some start with a 45kg Sherman S. You need to consider the intended need and expectations for your first wheel and go with that. One can learn with any wheel, though the really big ones might have additional challenges especially if you don’t have anyone to guide you.

On 8/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, TimucinPusat said:

among kingsong and inmotion which ones have screen? 

Inmotion V12, V13, the upcoming V14, and Kingsong S22 have A screen. The usability of the screen varies quite a bit though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Yes. It’s a chronological one, which tells nothing about the product itself. Though I can’t say that others are doing much better in this regard.

It does. Different manufacturers have different “house” styles, ergonomics, and concentrations. All EUC companies are Chinese, and even located in the Shenzhen area. Which one you should prefer is a question you’ll be able to answer in time after having tried several models of each. They all exist for a reason.

V11 vs S18 has several threads and YouTube comparisons. I suggest you look into those to get a more comprehensive view. I have a strong opinion on the matter based on what I’ve tried and seen, but it’s only a single opinion after all. Both have been enough of a wheel for years for some riders.

Some riders start with a small 14”【36 cm】 wheel, some start with a 45kg Sherman S. You need to consider the intended need and expectations for your first wheel and go with that. One can learn with any wheel, though the really big ones might have additional challenges especially if you don’t have anyone to guide you.

Inmotion V12, V13, the upcoming V14, and Kingsong S22 have A screen. The usability of the screen varies quite a bit though.

Thank you for your long explanation.

• Thanks 1