Got a Used Sherman! 1/2 one at least :|

catchi

Having an issue with a Sherman I just got from someone on euc marketplace. The battery won't balance charge past 98.5 after tries to balance at 99v it just falls to 98~ and stays there until you try to charge from lower again never achieving full charge. Thus range is like 25 miles. I bought this wheel as it only had 500 miles on it and it went through overheat hill this October and had its control board changed via Eevees by previous owner thinking it would be ok, then comes the issue to fixing my issue.. silicone....

The wheel has silicone surrounding the side panels so I cannot get in, I need help getting into the panels to check battery pack charges by disconnecting and charging only one pack at time to check the charge on each. Now, how do I get the caulked silicone on the side panels and it seems like maybe under the panel possibly. This wheel is under warranty via ewheels and I'd love to get into these tests some locals recommend to get some details to share to possibly get this resolved.

this sucks too I plan on going to California mid December and now I'm without my range wheel, it's almost a Onewheel GT now ..doh :|

• Like 1

Even a wheel at 98.5v should give more than 25 miles. Unless one side of the packs has completely stopped working, but even then thats pushing it - a Sherman should do more than 25 miles even with half the batteries disconnected unless you are pushing it on speed.

Putting silicone onto side panels is madness. as you say, removal later can be a right PITA.

If I had to guess: one battery pack is somehow bad and doesn't charge to full, and the other pack is disconnected entirely (probably just the fuse on the connector cable blew). These might be overheat hill consequences.

-

98V is roughly 88% compared to full voltage as 100%. That would give you... 85% of the full range? 25 miles is way too little for that.

Is maybe one battery disconnected? The fuse connecting the battery pack blown? That would roughly explain your range issue (but not the failure to charge to full voltage).

If you can do something via warranty, do that first.

Then, you can do the thing where you disconnect one battery and see what the other does. Be careful, only-re-connect the battery packs together when they are at the same voltage (which might not be the case if one has a blown fuse and was unused while you used and charged the other!).

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If I had to guess: one battery pack is somehow bad and doesn't charge to full, and the other pack is disconnected entirely (probably just the fuse on the connector cable blew). These might be overheat hill consequences.

-

98V is roughly 88% compared to full voltage as 100%. That would give you... 85% of the full range? 25 miles is way too little for that.

Is maybe one battery disconnected? The fuse connecting the battery pack blown? That would roughly explain your range issue (but not the failure to charge to full voltage).

If you can do something via warranty, do that first.

Then, you can do the thing where you disconnect one battery and see what the other does. Be careful, only-re-connect the battery packs together when they are at the same voltage (which might not be the case if one has a blown fuse and was unused while you used and charged the other!).

I'm thinking this too! Today I did a range test and at 100v to 77 volts I got 30 miles with an average ride speed of 14 mph. I also notice when I plug in my charger after I go to 77 volts the battery charges to 84 volts in less than 3 mins? huh?

The Sherman is an easy wheel to work on/disassemble. I suggest getting a razor blade and cutting the silicone so you can inspect what is going on inside your wheel. For the initial inspection you just need to remove the pedals, side covers and top panel/trolley handle and you should have access to everything that you need to check. 

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

and top panel/trolley handle and you should have access to everything that you need to check. 

Not forgetting that sometimes the top panel is siliconed down as well which can be another PITA to remove. Mine wasn't, fortunately.

7 hours ago, catchi said:

30 miles with an average ride speed of 14 mph

That's low even for one of the two battery packs. If the pack is damaged in addition, this is a reasonably credible range, I guess.

7 hours ago, catchi said:

I also notice when I plug in my charger after I go to 77 volts the battery charges to 84 volts in less than 3 mins? huh?

That is completely crazy. Not sure if the board is somehow damaged, too, or what else this could be.

-

Be a bit careful with a (probably) damaged battery pack. I wouldn't ride such a wheel. Just repair it quickly or have ewheels do the warranty repair if it looks too complicated.

Sadly I decided after all the tests, the stress everything owning a wheel in this condition is not worth it! I'm just going to wait for the new Sherman next year and take the refund sadly, it suck because this thing runs so well! It's just in to bad a condition for me to want to deal with it anymore :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, catchi said:

take the refund

I didn't know you could get a refund outright! This is clearly the best option.

Dealing with a damaged wheel is seriously not fun, and you have potential damage in all the worst places (battery, and maybe even the board). You did the only sensible thing. Sad, but for the best.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I didn't know you could get a refund outright! This is clearly the best option.

Dealing with a damaged wheel is seriously not fun, and you have potential damage in all the worst places (battery, and maybe even the board). You did the only sensible thing. Sad, but for the best.

Yeah it was way to stressful to pay such a premium to have such problems so I guess I'll wait for the Abrams or the New Sherman in Feb (can't decide to cancel my Abrams reserve yet after EUC Sale videos) 

Until then after 2000k miles on the EXN I sold to buy this Sherman and the 1/3 a Sherman I'm about to Ship back, I'll go learn to appreciate the wheel that got me into this that's sitting right next to this Corrupt mess on my EUC pallet, the 16x <3

Edited by catchi