Mango

19 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Not really 126V nominal...

You're right about that; whoops. I don't think it really changes the nature of my question though. When you are designing a circuit and selecting a capacitor, you don't select a capacitor whose voltage rating matches the "nominal" voltage it will be exposed to – you select one whose voltage rating is (typically something like 1.5x higher than) the maximum voltage it will be exposed to. At 9:53 in the teardown, we see 160V rated DC bus capacitors.

I still find that 108V controller rating a bit odd, although it probably doesn't really mean much in this case.

8 hours ago, HEC said:

Yeah, I've posted the picture of this "kick" stand few pages back in this thread (about a week after it popped out on Aliexpress) but so far I've not seen a single image of it being installed on actual V13 nor I have seen the exact spot with mounting holes for it (in detail or actually at all).

If you search the web for V13 images, you'll see that there are 4 screw holes located on the actual battery shell about level with the bottom of the flappy mudguard. 

If you also watch Bonheursurseine's french review he actually shows you a shot of them. 

• Like 2

After further review, I see now that there are two fans in there. They're part of the headlight module and appear to be 40mm units. Looks like they pull air through heatsinks attached to the headlight and push toward the heatsink attached to the inverter.

I wonder if they run at full blast whenever the headlight is on, even if the wheel isn't moving. 40mm fans tend to be pretty loud, and those look like 3-wire fan harnesses without PWM speed control. Glad to see that there are two, though.

image.png

3 hours ago, soulson said:

After further review, I see now that there are two fans in there. They're part of the headlight module and appear to be 40mm units. Looks like they pull air through heatsinks attached to the headlight and push toward the heatsink attached to the inverter.

I wonder if they run at full blast whenever the headlight is on, even if the wheel isn't moving. 40mm fans tend to be pretty loud, and those look like 3-wire fan harnesses without PWM speed control. Glad to see that there are two, though.

image.png

yes, those are fans for the headlight and turn on whenever the headlight is on. regardless if the wheel is moving or not.

Edited by SquallLHeart
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SquallLHeart said:

here ya go.. yea.. holes are there ready for the kickstand to be mounted to.

Thanks, much appreciated! I hope those are threaded metal inserts for actual bolts rather than depending on tap screws directly into plastic ...

8 hours ago, SquallLHeart said:

yes, those are fans for the headlight and turn on whenever the headlight is on. regardless if the wheel is moving or not.

Thanks for the information!

The fans also look like they're positioned to cool the inverter heatsink in addition to the headlight. Do they also turn on when the board temp gets high, even if the headlight is off? Like when riding up a steep hill on a warm day?

1 minute ago, soulson said:

Thanks for the information!

The fans also look like they're positioned to cool the inverter heatsink in addition to the headlight. Do they also turn on when the board temp gets high, even if the headlight is off? Like when riding up a steep hill on a warm day?

I have yet to hear the fans turn on when the headlight is off. The open bottom heatsink seems to be pretty adequate in cooling without any fans.

I haven't ridden in really warm conditions enough, so I wouldn't know if the controller needs a fan or not.. I believe Marty made an overheat hill test, so I guess we can see if he noticed anything.. Will watch that in a few minutes. 🙂

1 hour ago, SquallLHeart said:

what do you mean buck the wheel forward?

Do you think the kickstand would hit edges of stairs or curbs?  It seems to mount low, stick out bit and is made from rigid steel.  

Edited by Josiah

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

Do you think the kickstand would hit edges of stairs or curbs?  It seems to mount low, stick out bit and is made from rigid steel.  

it is mounted high enough and low profile enough to not be an issue. it'll clear stairs and curbs fine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't understand the FUD being spread regarding overheating of the V13. Raising overheating concerns out of thin air, from non-owners.

Thankfully, Marty extended Overheat Stress Test has put this to rest.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

One of these blips is our wheels.  Not sure which one though.  Go Jonny Go!
B1EF0333-E11C-4E4D-914A-FF560D35CCB0.thumb.jpeg.62b3dbe6ce614844d0aa2978092347e6.jpeg

EDE503D8-39B1-40D1-BBE5-90E00EB21074.thumb.jpeg.a6fd8e08db2c485d4fead8be051e91af.jpegIf it left the port at Shenzhen about ten days ago then it’s about  halfway.   So it should be just north of Honolulu now.

I posted this before but it makes me so happy looking at it.

A79E1618-382D-4AED-8BFF-2ECC96A9A4EC.thumb.jpeg.7ae4eb5baa662499e2e98f89f6a08037.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1