Learning to ride on the mten3

OldFartRides

Split from here.

-

I’m curious about your learning experience on the Mten. I’ve read opinions that it’s not the best learner because it’s squirrelly.

I thought it might be ok because “small” is less intimidating. And if you can manage a small tricky wheel, the skills will transfer up.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I have a part time business teaching people to ride wheels, these days I don't even bother with other wheels to teach beginners; MTen3 is the best teaching wheel and it isn't close. 

It isn't about intimidation; it is because it is the only wheel that is possible to ride at beginner speeds, 2 to 5 km/h. Learners can truly ride at their own pace and gradually develop confidence and work their way up to speeds needed to stay balanced on bigger wheels.

• Like 2

Oh sure @OldFartRides, I'll talk about my learning experience.  1st - since it's my first wheel - I have no comparison to EUC's in general as of right now.  (soon to change in a few hours when i get my new one and play with it after work).

i have played a lot of sports including balancing ones (skiiing (alpine and water), snow boarding, etc..  not brilliant at any sports for sure, but I watched a bunch of videos.  And I did what they said.  having decent balance is totally helpful of course.

I picked it up in 15 minutes.  I started on a chain link fence and first standing on it....gave fence a death grip.

walked it slowly back and forth along fence, and i quickly realized, if i don't let go of this fence, my body will never center itself.  And so I squealed with fear as I rolled my first feet across the pavement at 1 mph.  LOL. and of course went back to the fence a bit - but quickly just let it go and rolled around.  

So for a nervous nelly like myself - I think the Mten3 was great to learn on.  fun and slightly terrifying at the same time.  I just padded myself like the State Puft Marshmallow man and only fell once actually at 1 mile an hour.  it did bite me in the ankles, so i wore volleyball knee pads (for first times out) around my ankles the next time out and when it plowed into my left ankle a second time, it bounced off my knee pad on the outside.  got used to it pretty quick.  trickiest part was mounting of course...which once I learned to straighten my back quickly - it was a lot easier.  which of course i'm still not 100% great on it.  

• Like 1

@winterwheel I totally agree.  from my little learning experience on Mten3 - I spent most of the first run going less than 5 mph.  at times, the MPH, when i dared look down, was not even registering 2 mph.

I think a big part that makes the Mten3 really good for learning too is that when the EUC clobbers you, and it probably will when learning, it is 25 pounds, not 50 pounds.

When the Mten3 spun into its tasmanian devil spin when i was learning - the pedals hit my ankles a few times.  I can't imagine if that was 50 pounds.  my ankles and legs got bruises for sure.  I would have been way more scared to have a bigger wheel on my first go. 

on top of that.  25 pounds is heavy for me to carry.  I think many would like something they could put in their car and drive to a spot (with someone of course to make sure they're safe if they fall), and learn on the wheel and be able to lift it back into their car or onto the bus/metro etc.  for all those reasons.  i'd have more insight if i had other EUC experience.  

That is the only real problem with MTen3, it can turn into an ankle breaker if it hits the ground, all that torque on the tiny wheel tends to send it flying in unpredictable directions.

Next on my todo list is to modify the pedals so they can't do so much damage when they the shins or ankles, or develop some kind of universal neoprene lower-leg protector.

Maybe these would help. 

$24.99

Storelli BodyShield Leg Guards | Protective Soccer Shin Guard Holders | Enhanced Lower Leg and Ankle Protection | Black | Large

IMPACT PROTECTION: Materials absorb up to 90% of impact to ensure a safe landing on any surface. Made stronger for safer soccer. Engineered to maximize lower leg and ankle protection without compromising performance or comfort.

ARMORED SHIN GUARD HOLDERS: Premium compression leg guards for soccer players, armored with flexible but heavy-duty 3mm XRD Extreme Impact Protection padding for professional-strength protection on ankles and outer legs.

FITS MOST SHIN GUARDS (NOT INCLUDED): Comes with 2 leg guards (1 pair) featuring built-in shin guard pockets that hold guards in place, eliminating the distraction of constant manual adjustment.

BREATHABLE AND SWEAT WICKING: Employs lightweight materials that wick moisture away from the body to ensure maximal breathability. Body fabric composition: 82% Nylon, 18% Spandex. Foam composition: 100% Urethane.

ANTI-BACTERIAL AND UV PROTECTION: Enhanced with anti-bacterial and anti-microbial treatment to prevent the development and spread of bacteria, fungi, and odors. UV resistance protects skin from harmful UV rays.

https://www.amazon.com/Storelli-BodyShield-Anti-Bacterial-Sweat-Wicking-Compression/dp/B008QA6ZWS/ref=asc_df_B008QA6ZWS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312075398858&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11592460936771899433&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014249&hvtargid=pla-331724317885&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62138615196&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312075398858&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11592460936771899433&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014249&hvtargid=pla-331724317885

51Rc4ENlE6L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

• Like 1

@winterwheelyes, that was my only issue learning on the Mten3 i think.  the ankle biting.  thankfully, usually jumped out of the way in time.  I use Leatt knee/shin guard (but as you know they only protect upper shin).  and then on the first few days of learning, volleyball knee pads flipped out on ankle.  looked very ridiculous.  

@Paul A this looks great to protect the ankles/shins while learning.  did not ever see those with all my research.  had looked at soccer shin guards but have never seen any like this.

Edited by Melissa
  • Like 1

It does happen to a much lessor extent on larger wheels, a couple of us learned on V5F back in the day and had sore ankles to prove it, but on those it's just a matter of pedals bumping into ankles when stepping off into the path of the wheel.

The MTen3 is a whole different ballgame. When it falls over and the tire hits the floor in that instant before it cuts out (due to falling over), it turns into a bouncing little demon  wheel and the entire shell -- including pedals -- goes on the attack. It can do a 360 rotation and bang into your leg before you even realize what is happening. 

This is definitely because it is so light, all that power in such a small package compared to really any other wheel.

haven't you heard,  the minimum number of wheels is two, that way if a friend wants to try you can let them play with the reject/training wheel rather than your nice main wheel, whole reason I haven't ditched my ninebot c+.  Sure, hop on the ninebot, if you are about to crash hop off and let it hit the wall, who cares, sturdiest piece of crap I've ever ridden.

The mten3 is a cool and expensive wheel though for a reject wheel unlike my ninebot, whoever gets it will have fun with it.