16x Charging behavior

DrSuaveIguana

I have a 16x and use DarknessBot. When I charge using the standard KingSong 1.5A charger and monitor progress with DarknessBot, it reports the amperage as just above 0A for a while, then suddenly jumps to -1.5A. The -1.5A makes sense since current is going into the wheel, but what is happening before that point?  The “Power” graph does a similar thing, holding around 12 before jumping to around 120. The changes to power and current happen at the same point in time.  The wheel is charging fine and I don’t think there is a problem. I just don’t understand why it reports as it does. Are others experiencing this?  Anybody have a good explanation? Is it a glitch in DarknessBot?

• Like 2

I see this too with my 16X. My 18L shows it pulls ~0.3A as it's charging the entire time (which I assumed was for the cooling fan) but the 16X switches from pulling 0-0.3A to a negative value towards the last quarter of charging. I've also noticed the negative current value gets closer to zero as it approaches 100% charge so I assumed it had something to do with battery balancing... But I don't actually know.

Edited by Spaghetteh

I do believe this is totally normal and that it has to do with balancing. During balance the battery management system is bleeding off charge from the strings that are 'quick to charge' while it continues to charge the laggards. The net seems to be a slight discharging condition (negative amps going into the wheel).

• Like 1

I think its fine too, but is it possible to post a charge graph, just for my own personal interest?

Sometimes charging systems can do weird things. The Sherman for example appears to take a reading every few seconds or so and thereby reduces charge current considerably. It also shuts down the charge input at the board/BMS when full, a first for me having been used to gotways.

I wouldnt be surprised if Kingsong and Inmotion charge systems were even smarter, which can appear to mess with the charge currents.

My Bosch ebike system is similar, it constantly monitors the charge situation and even controls the charger, as it shuts down the charger completely when the batt is full.

46 minutes ago, Spaghetteh said:

switches from pulling 0-0.3A to a negative value towards the last quarter of charging

That's most likel "wrong" reporting from the firmware or darknessbot i'd guess first.

53 minutes ago, Spaghetteh said:

I've also noticed the negative current value gets closer to zero as it approaches 100% charge so I assumed it had something to do with battery balancing...

Balancing happens once constant voltage stage is reached - charging current starts to decrease. And also after charging is finished/charger is unplugged (in case some imbalance is already present)

For way too much details on this look at 

• Like 1