Longboard slide gloves or wrist guards?

I had a bad fall recently at about 25-30mph, and I wasn't wearing any gloves or wristguards (stupid, I know). I don't usually try to catch myself with my palms, and I also didn't this time. I ended up with a pretty bad scrape on the backside of my left hand/wrist and a minor scrape on the pinky side of my right wrist, but nothing on the palm side. In this case any gloves would have helped me a lot more than most wristguards. 

From what I understand, gloves with scaphoid sliders are basically the best of both worlds, and should help protect your entire hand while also reducing the chance of overextending the wrist if you put your palms down first. Also most wristguards don't provide any protection for your fingers and if you're landing on your palms, I feel like those fingers are gonna need some protection.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, omuretsu said:

I feel like those fingers are gonna need some protection.

Which is why I wear either gardening gloves (when it's warm) or ice fishing mittens (when it's not) under my wristguard. I didn't get flexmeters large enough for mittens, so that's a bit of a problem since I think their double sided protection is most valuable falling in the snow where your bent wrist will punch through and want to be folded back. I *should* invest in another set that's big enough for my mittens. As it is, I take my chances with mittens and the eWheels freebies in the winter, and use the flexmeters with gardening gloves in the summer.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Which is why I wear either gardening gloves (when it's warm) or ice fishing mittens (when it's not) under my wristguard. I didn't get flexmeters large enough for mittens, so that's a bit of a problem since I think their double sided protection is most valuable falling in the snow where your bent wrist will punch through and want to be folded back. I *should* invest in another set that's big enough for my mittens. As it is, I take my chances with mittens and the eWheels freebies in the winter, and use the flexmeters with gardening gloves in the summer.

I have some AWESOME mitts for snowboarding. I like mittens as I can stuff a hand warmer down in them and it keeps fingers from breaking. Mine have an inner liner that is cloth but you can feel plastic behind it for waterproofing. The liner simpy stuffs into a huge outter waterproof Mitt. I dont ride when its cold, but Im sure those would do the trick. Its kinda hard to find mittens anymore, but mine were K2 i think. Heck, just snag some uber huge woolen lined mittens, complete with fluffy cuffs? I wouldnt put them under my flexmeters. I guess my mittens would be sacrificial if i liked to slide a lot, which I don't. At least not if its not snow. Duct tape and cheap mittens over FM's ftw..  For summer... uhh no clue, i just risk the fingers. Fm's are already too hot as it is.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I agree with TFU - GyroRiderz gloves are the way to go.  I was previously using a combination of armored tactical gloves and wrist guards but it was a pretty bulky setup and cumbersome to put on and off but the GyroRiderz are very comfortable and easy to use.  And they do work - had a slow speed fall (about 12 km/h) test driving my latest creation to failure and they saved my ass or at least saved my wrists  :-)

• Like 1

All y'all down under are fortunate to have access to GyroRiderz, they don't have (or didn't have) a US distributor so availability is spotty. I think us 'merkins have to order direct and wait for delivery from FR. But they do look nice!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

All y'all down under are fortunate to have access to GyroRiderz, they don't have (or didn't have) a US distributor so availability is spotty. I think us 'merkins have to order direct and wait for delivery from FR. But they do look nice!

I'm pretty sure the good folks at roll.nz could look after you in that regard 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

I'm pretty sure the good folks at roll.nz could look after you in that regard 😀

Most definitely can...   :D

And if you buy an EUC Bodyguard and GyroGloves at the same time, the shipping cost is the same. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Most definitely can...   :D

And if you buy an EUC Bodyguard and GyroGloves at the same time, the shipping cost is the same. 

BAM! Can't beat that for service now can ya?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Richardashford said:

Sliding gloves are a crucial safety tool for every rider. These gloves have various benefits, such as avoiding your shoes into holes caused by a footbrake or protecting you from sliding/falling during the ride. :)

Please explain the above because I don't understand it

The GyroRiderz gloves do look like a great solution as far as protective gloves are concerned. I used to use a pair of Triple 8 wrist guards but that interfered with my watch. I now use gloves (both full-finger and fingerless versions) made by 1Protect. Check them out here: https://1protect.co/ 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...