Alternative mudguard for EXN?

Ever since i raise my EUC for off-road tyre fitting, i've been wondering why my back pack is always wet when riding over puddles, my cheap solution is MTB fender & velcro, i think it can be fitted to any EUCs.

Spoiler

1.thumb.jpg.6150a37aaf3b0aed2095a4c680d309cd.jpg2.thumb.jpg.bee46e3dc9bfa0844d6141f7190966cd.jpg3.thumb.jpg.c040719d01dcea15eff42821c2bf530c.jpg4.thumb.jpg.8b1c4b53cda36d1af7c4c4fe672b2266.jpg5.jpeg.f8b1c5c7acf7c7a0ebc634e14ee5528e.jpeg

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Geminispeaks said:

Does anyone know we’re I can get some type of cage similar to the Sherman’s roll cage for the gotway EXN??

Here's the spylce guard. It works pretty well. You can also get a fiberglass shell from mono customize on Instagram if you want to go that route.

https://splyce-guard.myshopify.com/collections/all

Have any post crash reviews been done with the splyce guard?? Have they made a video of them testing it in a crash situation??? 

I still can’t see that as a viable crash protection option when it’s only held on by Velcro. More proof of concept needs to be show cased. 

Edited by Mayhem

15 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Have any post crash reviews been done with the splyce guard?? Have they made a video of them testing it in a crash situation??? 

I still can’t see that as a viable crash protection option when it’s only held on by Velcro. More proof of concept needs to be show cased. 

Haven't seen any reviews either. I had one on my RS and it worked great for protecting the shell during crashes. Industrial strength velcro was enough keep the roll bar in place. The guard is now on my old msx 84v that I sold to a friend. He's been beating it up but it's still going strong. If you repainted the bar you wouldn't even tell that it's been dropped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SorenStarr said:

Haven't seen any reviews either. I had one on my RS and it worked great for protecting the shell during crashes. Industrial strength velcro was enough keep the roll bar in place. The guard is now on my old msx 84v that I sold to a friend. He's been beating it up but it's still going strong. If you repainted the bar you wouldn't even tell that it's been dropped.

At what speeds were the crashes you had when using it??? 

That’s one thing the advertising has failed on for this product imo… showcasing it in an actual high speed 35mph+ crash and showing the actual level of protection. For something that cost $200 and is being sold as “protection” it should be shown on video. The fact the no one has done so including the creator of the product raises a lot of red flags. 

Fiberglass shells get smashed with hammers and take no damage on live video. You don’t question the protection your getting, It’s proven. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayhem said:

At what speeds were the crashes you had when using it???

Probably only below 20mph at this point. 

3 hours ago, Mayhem said:

That’s one thing the advertising has failed on for this product imo… showcasing it in an actual high speed 35mph+ crash and showing the actual level of protection. For something that cost $200 and is being sold as “protection” it should be shown on video. The fact the no one has done so including the creator of the product raises a lot of red flags. 

I agree that it would be nice to see some high speed crash evidence. I'm not sure anyone has experienced such a crash yet while using it. I'm not sure how many of the spylces even exist. Maybe 30? Perhaps we will see something someday. I doubt anyone wants to crash their $2k+ investment at 40mph intentionally even if it is for marketing. This guy is making these by hand as a side business in a niche hobby after all. I wouldn't say that "lack of evidence" would raise any red flags.

14 hours ago, SorenStarr said:

Probably only below 20mph at this point. 

Below 20 mph I would expect it to work flawlessly but Clark bumpers do can take a high speed crash and cost much less then a splyce guard… I’ve seen Clark bumpers save a shell in a 35mph crash… 

I'm not sure anyone has experienced such a crash yet while using it. I'm not sure how many of the spylces even exist. Maybe 30?

That’s also a good point. I don’t think there are that many out in the wild. Fiberglass shells are much more common to come across even on newer wheels. As soon as the fiberglass cover is available people order it. You know the level of protection your getting for the money, It’s a proven product…

I doubt anyone wants to crash their $2k+ investment at 40mph intentionally even if it is for marketing……..

I wouldn't say that "lack of evidence" would raise any red flags.

That’s where the marketing has failed this product. If you create something and are selling it as “crash protection” you should stand behind your product and demo your wheel in a crash.

You can’t expect a customer to do it for you. I appreciate the thought & effort this man put forth to design and make these guards. But if he made a video showing a high speed crash or rolling it down some stairs etc.., it would catch the eye of a lot more customers. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Below 20 mph I would expect it to work flawlessly but Clark bumpers do can take a high speed crash and cost much less then a splyce guard… I’ve seen Clark bumpers save a shell in a 35mph crash… 

That’s also a good point. I don’t think there are that many out in the wild. Fiberglass shells are much more common to come across even on newer wheels. As soon as the fiberglass cover is available people order it. You know the level of protection your getting for the money, It’s a proven product…

That’s where the marketing has failed this product. If you create something and are selling it as “crash protection” you should stand behind your product and demo your wheel in a crash.

You can’t expect a customer to do it for you. I appreciate the thought & effort this man put forth to design and make these guards. But if he made a video showing a high speed crash or rolling it down some stairs etc.., it would catch the eye of a lot more customers. 

It would be GREAT if I had the resources to make 'crash' testing feasible for my ShanesPads. However, at about $10 total profit per sale, one must forgive me that I wont toss my $3k+ sherman to the ground at 40mph, just to see how much they protect a wheel. I dont market them as protection, even tho they do. Lets do the math... $10 profit divided by $3500 = 350 sales required to replace a single sherman, should a crash 'test' wind up destroying it. Nope, not gna happen.....on purpose.

I do think that a product intended to protect a wheel, should be put thru some testing however. Crash protection gear needs be crashed. Gear to assist in control (power pads) need tested for control. ALL products should be tested for durablity of the product itself. I dont really see fiberglass as a given to be much help. I would suspect the REAL durable materials would have more flex. Can you hit a fiberglass shell with a hammer at 40mph and 80lbs behind it, and it still stay intact? I could only fathom how thick and heavy it would have to be...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

It would be GREAT if I had the resources to make 'crash' testing feasible for my ShanesPads. However, at about $10 total profit per sale, one must forgive me that I wont toss my $3k+ sherman to the ground at 40mph, just to see how much they protect a wheel.

Your main selling point isn’t “euc protection” lol… obviously would be pointless for you. But the guard is sold as protection. But fail to demonstrate how much protection your actually getting for the money.

Thats like otter box saying hey our case protects your phone and dont do a promo video highlighting the level of protection you get…. If your main selling point is protection then it’s gotta be demonstrated in some way shape or form to be taken serious. 

• Like 1