V11 Twin Chargers?

macgyvercanada

27 minutes ago, macgyvercanada said:

Can I use the charger from my V8F as the second charger for the V11?

While output voltage and charging ports are the same, there is difference in how V8F and V11 charging ports are wired. So you will need a special adapter to use V8F charger with V11 and vice versa.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, macgyvercanada said:

Can I use the charger from my V8F as the second charger for the V11?

Yes if you make an adapter for it, as Inmotion decided to use different pins of the same connector.

Not too hard to make if you can use a soldering iron, but probably worth it to have a faster fanless charging experience :)

Yes if you make an adapter for it, as Inmotion decided to use different pins of the same connector.

Wow that seems like a dangerous decision!!  I have my V8F and V11 parked next to each other, what if I grabbed the wrong adapter and plugged it in?

Any instructionals out there about building such an adapter?

The adapter would be obvious if built as a short extension as seen in that Hulaj offering you posted. If you can get the parts you can have a friend or local electronics shop make it for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. I'm unclear on why Inmotion wired the same plug differently between the models.

39 minutes ago, macgyvercanada said:

Wow that seems like a dangerous decision!!  I have my V8F and V11 parked next to each other, what if I grabbed the wrong adapter and plugged it in?

Any instructionals out there about building such an adapter?

There's no danger as the connector has 3 pins, and these chargers have very good protection anyway (including against shorts)
Inmotion didn't invert the pins but connected the + of the V11 to the one previously unused on the V10 and older chargers.

I made adapters to convert all my chargers to XT-60 then XT-60 to desired connector, to be able to use any charger as needed, as you can see here for my V10F.

gx12-3-adapters.thumb.jpg.4b2c8b9766b08827d05b767a7382bc08.jpg

For your purpose you can order a single GX12-3 connector+socket, use a multimeter to map which pin is which for sure, and solder the V8F/V11 adapter as desired.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, supercurio said:

There's no danger as the connector has 3 pins, and these chargers have very good protection anyway (including against shorts) Inmotion didn't invert the pins but connected the + of the V11 to the one previously unused on the V10 and older chargers.

Ahh, excellent.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I think the amperage of the provided V11 charger was probably seen as dangerous for the V8.

If I’m not mistaken, you could add a short jumper wire in the connectors inside the V11 to make it take the V8 chargers as well. The pin that’s currently empty would simply be connected with the current + pin.

But I won’t recommend a mod like that until all possible dangers have been figured out and considered.

It's true that Inmotion could have made the V11 capable of accepting both V8/V10 and V11 chargers that way, while preventing to charge "too quickly" (not really) the V8 with a V11 charger.

Avoiding @macgyvercanada, a good Inmotion customer having to get or make an adapter.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1