Buying for someone else ?

So this Amish tractor dealer I know saw me on my wheel and thinks it’s way cool and wants to buy one for his grandson (right…). He’s asking me what’s the right one to get and would I get it for him. This is another one of those “sticking my neck out, road to hell is paved with good intentions conundrum”. 
All that aside, I’m thinking about steering him to the KS14d as the best value not quite a cheap crappy fleabay toy but under a grand wheel.

Just thinking out loud here….

11 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

KS14d

That's a 420Wh battery - that's some 16s2p with 3.5Ah cells?!

I would never touch again or recommend anything with less than 4p... If the grandson is not a kid riding around the farm/neighboorhood?

13 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

would I get it for him

A great way to loose friends/reputation with the EUC QC. ;(

• Like 1

The v8(f) if a bit underpowered is more tested and tried than the 14d. The 16” size would also be better for countryside terrain. A second hand 16s is fairly more solid with 16s4p battery and might fit the budget. Second hand MS3 or Tesla if lack of weatherproofing isn’t an issue?

• Like 2

Start with the size and weight of the rider? In this case the age of the grandson may also be a factor, albeit a complex one. My general take is that size and weight matching are the first big criteria. I suspect that since the majority of us are adult sized men (my assumption admittedly) that we might be defaulting to something larger than what might actually be best for a smaller person.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

He did ask me to bring my 16s out to show and play. But they are still quite a lot more than the 14d or the v8.

Now I'm wondering if there are any more children in the mix. Idea being that perhaps the smaller wheel can be passed down if it proves too small.

Boy it is easy to over think these things!  :P

• 1 month later...

So last week I stopped by his place with both my wheels. The grandson is six or eight and three feet tall (or so).

He was all about the wheel. So were some of the bigger boys (his dad). There was a nice tubular handhold on the back of their golf cart so the boy held on and rode around the lot for awhile, then did laps around my Samurai holding on. After awhile, he made the eight foot gap between the Sammy and the cart and looked very pleased.

I thought that used 14d/s (?) that was on here for $550 would be perfect, but that one got away.

So, I pulled the trigger on a mcm5v2 just now. Of course I’ll have to try it out make sure it’s in proper working order and charges up w/out melting down before taking it out to them. It came down to what I could get that was in stock.

Gramps didn’t seem daunted about $1300. for a 16s, so I don’t think he’ll balk at $1200. for this one.

If he does, hey what’s one more wheel ? I’ve been curious about this one anyway….

Edited by OldFartRides
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from delivering the wheel. Watching seven, ten, and twelve yr. olds’ going ‘round the trampoline on the mcm5 and my 16s, then striking out into the yard for an hour was almost as much fun as riding. 
 The ten yr. old was cruising around in no time.

Time to go hit the trails myself….

• Like 3

• 4 months later...