VS vs e-Scooter

r_713

Anyone here have a Sherman and an e-scooter?

I'm thinking of purchasing a VSETT-10+. My thought is that it would be for commuting whereas the VS would be more for fun.

However, am I going to be disappointed with an e-scooter after having spent so much time on the Sherman?

I'd love your thoughts.

Not sure what you would gain from a kick scooter, except if you fear cutoffs. They are way less stable, are more vulnerable to pot holes, are heavier at equal power, are long and unwieldy even when folded. They take both your hands at all times so you can’t signal a turn. Their acceleration isn't smooth.

With a lot of training you can apparently get a decent level of control, but then people can balance spinning plates on chopsticks with enough training.

Just my opinion of course. You could try some rental scooter to see if their handling suits you.

My experience is based of some rental, as well as my wife’s Xiaomi and Speedway mini 4 pro.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

@null This is good feedback. I was under the (obviously) wrong assumption that they were more stable. The rate of adoption of scooters vs EUCs is tremendously higher, so I also took this as "proof" that they are more stable.

My first PEVs have been EUCs, (V10F then 16X) after briefly trying rental e-scooters once, which I found awful.

A couple months ago I got a 2x1000W / 1500 Wh / 10x3" scooter for my girlfriend to ride together.
I've been riding with it to learn and really enjoy it much more than I thought I would.

The sensations are different, throttle control is not as smooth at low speeds, but it's certainly a lot of fun as well. The speed, in turns, how to shift weight, the acceleration which doesn't depend on physical engagement as much as on EUCs.
I was surprised by how capable it is in forest tracks and light/medium off-road as well, I was easily keeping up with a very experienced buddy on his EX.N the other day.
Top speed 40 mph (GPS)

While it might not be the case for the VSETT-10+, I've also been impressed by the insane performance & capability for the price since I paid $950 for it.

I have no doubt that you can enjoy both vehicles.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, supercurio said:

My first PEVs have been EUCs, (V10F then 16X) after briefly trying rental e-scooters once, which I found awful.

A couple months ago I got a 2x1000W / 1500 Wh / 10x3" scooter for my girlfriend to ride together.
I've been riding with it to learn and really enjoy it much more than I thought I would.

The sensations are different, throttle control is not as smooth at low speeds, but it's certainly a lot of fun as well. The speed, in turns, how to shift weight, the acceleration which doesn't depend on physical engagement as much as on EUCs.
I was surprised by how capable it is in forest tracks and light/medium off-road as well, I was easily keeping up with a very experienced buddy on his EX.N the other day.
Top speed 40 mph (GPS)

While it might not be the case for the VSETT-10+, I've also been impressed by the insane performance & capability for the price since I paid $950 for it.

I agree with this completely I have a vs and bought my girl a mantis pro used locally. I have to say it actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be. there no rush like a uni but it has it time and place.

• Like 2

Hey. I had a Zero 10x 60v scooter. Insane machine, and a lot of fun. I modified the suspension to have a proper oil damped shock at the front and a nice air shock at the back so it rode perfectly. 

However, it was heavy and I think slower than the Sherman overall. Although it had 10” wheels and the shocks you can’t get up as big bumps as with the Sherman, and when things get wet the scoot can slip out from under you so it wasn’t much fun in the woods when it was wet. 

I sold mine and basically have used the Sherman for everything since. Except commuting. I had an MCM5 v2 for that. Which I realised whilst an excellent wheel for commuting it isn’t very well weather sealed which is necessary here in the UK, so I’m using my S18 or my Onewheel when I’m going to client locations now. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 11:23 PM, supercurio said:

Top speed 40 mph (GPS)

That's awesome to hear! That's exactly what I would love to implement with my partner. She would never use an EUC, but she is very confortable with e-scooters. I would love to go on rides with her, me with my Sherman, her on her scooter.

Which scooter did you get for girlfriend? I'm especially for one which has enough range to match my Sherman (at least 100km). Thank you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edouard said:

That's awesome to hear! That's exactly what I would love to implement with my partner. She would never use an EUC, but she is very confortable with e-scooters. I would love to go on rides with her, me with my Sherman, her on her scooter.

Which scooter did you get for girlfriend? I'm especially for one which has enough range to match my Sherman (at least 100km). Thank you!

I think it could work for you too, has she looked at the models available?
My girlfriend essentially found only the Apollo Phantom to be to her liking, with its slick design (and marketing), but since it wouldn't be available for a long while in Europe and didn't seem to offer that much capabilities for the price, I went ahead and ordered a "Halo Knight T104" from the Aliexpress seller.
I got lucky with a rather quick delivery from Spain as soon as a batch was received.

There's a large community of riders in Spain who also are in touch with the company making them, have a good feedback loop for support and improvements, and give coupon codes on their telegram group. It's all in Spanish but worth the effort :)

I was not super confident on the battery capabilities from presumably Panasonic 21700 cells, but I measured it with a capacity tester and results were right on spec. Range is comparable (a bit less due to the lower efficiency) to a 1500 Wh wheel. Battery, controllers and motors deliver on performance.
The quality in some details is not as good as a top brands, but IMO worth it.
A good range mattered so we could share long tours (but not necessarily super long where she would get tired and not appreciate as much) together.
100km might be feasible with some other models.

Be sure to be patient in the beginning, ready to ride slowly with a focus on safety.

For us it although this shared riding adventure is just the beginning, we had a couple rides together and one where we joined the Stockholm Cruisers groups on EUC and it was awesome, not just the ride of course but to have everyone meet in a friendly fashion.

I look forward to continue this summer and hope it'll be great for you guys too!

Edited by supercurio

On 5/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, r_713 said:

Anyone here have a Sherman and an e-scooter?

I'm thinking of purchasing a VSETT-10+. My thought is that it would be for commuting whereas the VS would be more for fun.

However, am I going to be disappointed with an e-scooter after having spent so much time on the Sherman?

I'd love your thoughts.

I have a Sherman AND a vsett 10+. The vsett is very powerful. I believe in the EUC master race though. The vsett is so I can bring someone along for a ride who didn’t want to learn to ride an EUC and as a back up in case my Veteran goes down. 

• Like 3

I ordered a VSETT 10+ from eWheels. I also just received a Juiced CrossCurrentX e-bike. Onward, the great PEV experiment.

• Like 2

Congrats with the new PEV, it’s nice with some variation and I’m sure you’ll have fun. Also good for guests as EUCmasterace pointed out.

• Like 2

I have a sherman and I bought FLJ 6K scooter. It has 13 inch wheels and weights 115lbs. I have to say the power the scooter has is enough to pull you off the handlebars. But for me the one thing the euc will have as an advantage is that your hands are free to hold something etc. I feel that because the Sherman isn't really a tourqe wheel the scooter beats it. Range the Sherman wins hands down top speed the scooter can hit 51mph. One final thought the scooter was $1500 less than a new Sherman. 

Screenshot_20210606-170127_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1