Veteran Sherman Range

Shad0z

Post the typical effective range you get out of your Sherman, make it short, simple, and include:

- Weight

- Speeds

- Riding mode

This is so people can easily find the actual range of the sherman, I have a little idea though, I could mess around with some graphs so it'd be even easier to see what range you'd actually get out of it for different situations and different weights

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 3

92kg

Medium mode, this time I disabled tiltback at 43kph and went around 50kph usually as well as riding more aggressively, this brought my 100km range down by a whole 20km to 80km, going faster ain't worth it, gonna keep my tiltback on, trying soft mode next

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shad0z said:

92kg

Medium mode, this time I disabled tiltback at 43kph and went around 50kph usually as well as riding more aggressively, this brought my 100km range down by a whole 20km to 80km, going faster ain't worth it, gonna keep my tiltback on, trying soft mode next

What about tire pressure? Have you tried raising it to get more miles?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, Resko727 said:

Tire pressure is factor but not that dominant compare to how "agresively" you acelerate and rider weight.

I can ride my "loop" with 60% left  at home or more "fun" riding same route and go home with 22% battery.

Tire pressure have hard inpact on nimblenes and confort. More pressure = more nimble cons is you feel every hole/stone on road negatively.

+-4 psi is not measurable impact on range. In extreme example 17psi vs 44psi diference in range because rolling resistance be big.    

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, DjPanJan said:

Tire pressure is factor but not that dominant compare to how "agresively" you acelerate and rider weight.

I can ride my "loop" with 60% left  at home or more "fun" riding same route and go home with 22% battery.

Tire pressure have hard inpact on nimblenes and confort. More pressure = more nimble cons is you feel every hole/stone on road negatively.

+-4 psi is not measurable impact on range. In extreme example 17psi vs 44psi diference in range because rolling resistance be big.    

I agree with you completely but it’s just everything adds up. I’m also sure that the street tire is more efficient than than off road one. There so many factors to how far you can go.

• Like 1

I'm currently trying out soft mode, which feels hella sketchy at first, but once you get used to it, it's like floating on a cloud, mostly using it to test if I'll get more range out of it, will update y'all on my findings

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, Resko727 said:

I'm running at around 45-50psi which I wouldn't go any higher than, but I also do think those tire pressures are a good sweetspot for my weight, I don't understand how people can ride these things at my weight or heavier and do shit like 35 PSI, feels deflated lmao, too many downsides, running at higher PSI gets more range, less tire wear, less chance of tire popping off the rim issues etc, and better grip and higher stability, so there's really no reason not to, except for shock absorption, but I don't have an issue with that here at all.

Weight: 120kg

Speeds: 20-30 kmh

Riding mode: Hard

Range: 100km

The only time I tested range was when I had just bought the wheel, and I had pretty much exactly 100km on the screen when I rode the low battery beeps home. There was no tiltback yet.

• Like 1

I tried out SOFT MODE, the range DID NOT IMPROVE
I'm going back to medium, range was actually ever so slightly lower with soft mode lmao I ain't messing around with that, same speeds same everything basically

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

- Weight 91 kg (200 lbs)

- Speeds 40 kph (24 mph)

- Riding mode medium

I’ve ridden about 25 miles and battery is showing 91 Volts (66%). Top speed was around 60kph (37mph). So I guess I’m considered as a heavy + speedy rider around town. 

• 2 months later...

I track, with a reasonable amount of detail, all of my rides as well as the amount of energy (Wh) that go back into the wheel. I'm 134 lbs, so riding weight (with gear) is generally in the range of 148-152lb (68kg) - maybe a little less in summer and a little more in winter.

I've only had my Sherman since Aug 12th but since then I've done ~2500km. My longest ride so far was 136.32km which used 2625Wh and finished at 82.5V. That one averaged 19.25Wh/km. That ride was slower on the climbs and not really fast overall (riding alongside a few cyclists). Between all rides, I seem to average about 20.25Wh/km, and range from about 17.1 on slow or long-range rides (where I'm consciously conserving energy) to hard, fast solo rides (with lots of hard acceleration and braking, really pushing the wheel hard on climbs etc.) that average 23.5Wh/km. My average cruising speed on those rides is probably around 45-50km/h (30MPH); top speed so far is just short of 60km/h. Most rides around here are reasonably hilly, with total climbing of about 1200m per 100km.

Sorry - for me, that's a "short and simple" post. :-D

Edited by Mantraguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am 79kg. rider and I do delivery service(Glovo) every day in my town. So every day i traverse 100 km until I get beeps. Iam home and finish with 105 km. Maybe I can squeeze 10 more but gentle driving. You have to consider that is hard town riding with lots of acceleration, hills and braking. My tire is 2.3 bar. Soon I am planning to try with 3.0 bar and I will post result. Also my plan is soon to do range test on open flat road just to see how mutch kilometers can I squeeze of this one charge. I hope 150 km with average of 30km/h.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crowheel said:

I am 79kg. rider and I do delivery service(Glovo) every day in my town. So every day i traverse 100 km until I get beeps. Iam home and finish with 105 km. Maybe I can squeeze 10 more but gentle driving. You have to consider that is hard town riding with lots of acceleration, hills and braking. My tire is 2.3 bar. Soon I am planning to try with 3.0 bar and I will post result. Also my plan is soon to do range test on open flat road just to see how mutch kilometers can I squeeze of this one charge. I hope 150 km with average of 30km/h.

I sense 30kmh is the sweet efficient spot.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've just ridden the first charge of the Max since it was delivered.

Rider 70KG

Mode Medium

Terrain mostly roads with small amount of off-road (Lots of stops and starts though as I rode almost all on paths with lots of road crossings to do)

Riding mostly 15-30mph

I stopped at 120 miles with the battery at 16% with no beeps or warnings.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t live in or near any city. 1600+ miles on the shermax. Riding weight w/gear/pack: 230 lbs. 5’ 11”, 55 yrs old.
Kenda 262 = 38 PSI. Mostly roads with moderate hills, some dirt trails.

At 23 mph average, no wind = 75 - 80 miles. At 33 mph average, no wind = 45 - 50 miles. Riding faster (37 mph average) and really mashing it, I can easily drain the battery to where I really don’t care to risk riding it after 35 miles.  Into a headwind, even less.

This is why I won’t even consider any other wheel, ..except maybe the commander.  For my commutes and adventures, without range, no other feature or option matters to me.. cuz I’d be walking.. with a wheel. 

Edited by Xodarap1
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, Analyt said:

my first run on Sherman Max was 93 km. country gravel road and asphalt road about halfway.

https://euc.world/tour/611869437117272

start with 100% and finish with 50% of battery

my weight is about 97 kg.

And the second run on the city asphalt road was 145 km. EUC started alarm sound on 140 km, so I stoped run and conntinued on a city bus.

My best runs on Gotway Monster was about 80-85 km, so Sherman Max is much better runner.

• Like 1