Mten3 Tube vs Tubeless version

egress123

I just ordered a Mten3 from eWheels and was told that it comes with a tubeless version of tire.

what's your experience with tubeless version of Mten3?  did you have to replace the sealant often?  any issues with ride?

thanks for sharing.

It's mostly worked fine for me. My son ran over some glass or something so I wound up having to replace the tire which was a huge ordeal, but replacing the tube is just as bad. As with most things, having the right tools makes all the difference. 

Got my tubeless Mten3 last year & put on ~500 kms on it. No issues no flats no slime either. I do however find it very stiff with a tendency to throw me out alot on bumpy stuff. I think the tube version may have better shock absorption though.

It was my understanding that the new Mten's came with tubes, imo, you're lucky to get tubeless, not sure about bump absorption differences, maybe you can play with tire pressures to get your best performance.  Mine is tubeless and have had no issues, half my miles are in my yard, I'm 210 lbs and try to keep pressures in the 40's.  IMO, I'd try to run pressure on the higher side, less flex is best on these plus it'll give your pedals a little more ground clearance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, egress123 said:

thanks.  i'm seeing that you have to apply the sealant (to seal the tire to the rim) every year.  you did not have to do that?

What sort of sealant? Mine started leaking by the rim - tried some "Motorcycle puncture fix" (spray/foam) but it did not do the trick. I have never done anything to fix this before but the wheel is very seldom used. Also seems to leak around the valve but I think the "spray/foam" helped reducing that somewhat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rolauk said:

What sort of sealant? Mine started leaking by the rim - tried some "Motorcycle puncture fix" (spray/foam) but it did not do the trick. I have never done anything to fix this before but the wheel is very seldom used. Also seems to leak around the valve but I think the "spray/foam" helped reducing that somewhat.

rim leaks arent the same as tire punctures. To fix that, you would want to deflate the tire and check the bead of the tire. YOu will also want to check the rim bead/seat. Make sure no grass or rocks or corrossion is evident. A little  dish soap water to wipe the tire and rim clean, then reinflate. Check for rim leak with spray of soapy water or place some soap water in the seam with your finger. If you see no bubbles, its fixed. If it still leaks, you may need to insepct the tire more and lightly sand the sealing edge of the rim. I used to use a product in the shop called "bead sealer", as a lot of alloy chevy wheels liked to corrode horribly. Its a thick tar like compound. I've used weatherstrip adheisive in a pinch. Just dont use any type of sealant on the rim edge, that hardens. You shouldnt need any form of chemical tho, IF the rim edge is clean and true and the tire isnt damaged.

For puncture type or basic preventative, I am using 'slime' branded tire sealant. The mten playdoh tires get tiny holes so damn easily. The tubeless mtens are the only wheel Ive used slime. I had to order it, as most stores locally, only carried the tubed variant. I purchased slime branded sealant for tubeless rims. It took 1/4 a bottle for the mten.. Be sure to NOT use self propelled flammable 'fix a flats'. Now that youve already filled your tire, you may need to take it off entriely to clean properly...

If your mten is a tube version and doing this, you simply need replace the tube.

I tip my hat to you sir.. you own the only two wheels I have kept in my arsenal. mten and 18xl ftw!!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply. Didn't notice before now. :) Well, probably have open that thing and force off that tire to see if it is still usable. Perhaps I can clean it and seal it - there are no punctures, as mentioned. Tried that foam again, but no matter what I do it does not apply to the side of the wheel/rim. 

If I have to get a new tire - should I go for tube or tubeless? Seems to be leaking something from the valve as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally over-inflated the tubeless and damaged the tire after a couple years, it's bubbled by 2mm for real, and reseating does nothing.  What MTen3 tire is recommended as a replacement, I'm in USA.  Riding is a bit wobbly (the bubble is off center), but it's braking that is a nightmare the wheel gets crazy.  I've had the wheel apart before to replace a failed buzzer, so I kinda know what's required.

Edited by xorbe