First day on my EUC

jlgerber

Great start!! :thumbup: 50 is the new 30. It will get easier. Don't over do it though. It takes time to build up those newly needed muscles. You will end up with a stronger core and gain a spring in your step. You will get better each day. At some point you will likely seem to get worse. It is part of learning and you will break through it. After about 3 months you can join me. We can go out and pick pocket those stuck up cyclist as we pass them in the bike lanes. :efef77eaf5: 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice! I am planning on keeping my sessions short and sweet. I have started to feel some soreness in the outside of my dominant leg's knee, so I am glad that I called it quits for the day when I did. Looking forward to tomorrow though...

• Like 2

Welcome to your new addiction! Patience is key. Lots of new riders that are somewhat 'mature' in age, so youll find good company around here. DOnt feel badly, I didnt find any of my previous skills to be very transferrable to eucs either. Basic balance and fear mitigation of course, but the euc is very unlike most of what I've ever done. I always tell people.. It's NOT as easy as it looks. Once you figure it out, youll beam with pride, and rightfullly so. Congrats on turning back the clock of age by a decade, in moments! Excellent choice in wheels btw, but it wont be your last by far! In time, your lazy rides will actualy be lazy and youll still need some cardio...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, jlgerber said:

After stumbling upon EUCs while researching OneWheels (did I want a pint or an XR?), and spending a couple months tirelessly watching videos by you all, I took the plunge. The first challenge turned out to be choosing the correct starter wheel to match my aging (51) "big boned"  (220ish) body. I went back and forth between the v11 and the KS 16x, and eventually decided to start with the smaller, simpler wheel (although if i were lighter I probably would have opted to start with a lighter wheel. That 16x is 50ish pounds).

I found a nice quiet basketball court that was very smooth and went to work, following the numerous videos that i had seen on starting. It was harder than I expected ( I really hoped my rollerblading and surfing experience would come into play. Nope). And I realized that new physical skills are a bit harder to pick up at 50 than 30 or 40. I really wish that cover hadn't been delayed because my wheel got a bit scraped up. After about 30 minutes I was cruising across the court, flailing my arms out to counter balance.

My back is a bit sore, but I didn't experience the bad foot cramps or calf pain that I was waiting for. I did surprise my wife when I got back, covered in sweat. She apparently thought that this would be a lazy, effortless endeavor. Turns out, balancing 50 pounds on a tire take effort.

I wouldn't exactly claim that I was a natural, as I was secretly hoping to be, but I didn't break anything, and i can see how this is going to be fun. Looking forward to tomorrow. As I have no intention of testing the limits of my employer's heath insurance, I am planning on adding a full face helmet and some sort of armored jacket to my kit as well (already purchased the Leatt knee/shin guards. Money well spent) by the time i get going past a couple miles an hour, and perhaps trade out my rollerblade elbow and wrist pads for better stuff.

Looking forward to tomorrow... Its beautiful here in the South Bay and great to get outside... Can't wait to get good enough to head down to Palos Verdes....

Oooh I remember them days ( ache caused and numb feet ,muscle pain ) it will all go away , you'll love euc riding you'll feel so free

• Like 2

So two days and an hour or so of riding later, and I can mount and ride...mostly. It is definitely getting easier. Still don't feel comfortable riding in the street, but I have found some suitable parking lots and concrete around town. It is definitely impossible to learn incognito though. I have received quite a lot of unsolicited advice and more than a few inquiries about what the heck i am riding.

One of the main points that I thankfully remembered from all of the videos on learning to ride, and that i have found to be true is that speeding up definitely helps stability. Once i get a bit of speed, I concentrate on looking forward, keeping my back straight, bending my knees, and relaxing. Amazing how the body quiets down with a bit of speed.

I also found the advice to bend the knee of the leg opposite the direction you want to turn quite helpful when used in concert with looking where you want to go.

Really enjoying myself a lot, and  I am looking forward to progressing over the coming weeks. I have kept my riding sessions short but I have seen improvement each session.

Now I have to find a helmet to wear once I exceed jogging speed. And maybe elbow pads or an armored jacket.

I also am going to have to learn to tackle hills because they stand between me and every direction i want to go...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jlgerber said:

It is definitely impossible to learn incognito though. I have received quite a lot of unsolicited advice and more than a few inquiries about what the heck i am riding.

Questions from onlookers are just part of the game. I am curious about the advice you've been getting. Do you remember some of those comments? ... just in case any of it is good, or maybe funny?!?!

You are doing very well so far. You will be having lots and lots of fun pretty soon. 

As others have mentioned, don’t overdo it in any one session. You’ll get better as your muscles recover and develop specifically for riding the wheel, and this cannot be rushed or gained overnight. I’ve only been riding for about two months now so I’ve been reflecting on how the things that felt so strange and awkward just a few weeks ago now feel so natural...mounting, carving, quick and sharp turning, accelerating and hard breaks. I can definitely say all my crashes thus far were due to me overdoing it in one session, my legs turning to jelly, then just having them fall out from under me. Take breaks often, don’t let your legs turn to jelly, build that endurance, and you’ll be fine! 

And great to hear that you’re gearing up! For me, the older I get, the more I pay for any fall.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, Scottie said:

Questions from onlookers are just part of the game. I am curious about the advice you've been getting. Do you remember some of those comments?

I had one self appointed coach give me pretty reasonable advice about my posture ... and something about turning from the head. Don't know what he meant and his girlfriend lit into him for the unsolicited advice. I take it though; he is my biggest fan :). I also stopped my daughter in her tracks when she turned the corner and got her first site of her dad riding. She turned beet red and then laughed uncontrollably. However, her laughter was short lived; I let her put a foot on the unicycle and experience trying to balance 50 pounds and she sobered up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jlgerber said:

I had one self appointed coach give me pretty reasonable advice about my posture ... and something about turning from the head. Don't know what he meant and his girlfriend lit into him for the unsolicited advice. I take it though; he is my biggest fan :). I also stopped my daughter in her tracks when she turned the corner and got her first site of her dad riding. She turned beet red and then laughed uncontrollably. However, her laughter was short lived; I let her put a foot on the unicycle and experience trying to balance 50 pounds and she sobered up.

Too funny. Oddly, I havent encountered any advice, just sheer confusion. Well, unless you count the 'wear more gear' standard response. I think half the time, people are confused for just long enough that I am already passing them by and they havent time to even make a statement. Usually when I mention that I have a wheel that can go 50mph, the idea of advice turns into incredulous looks of 'you are insane'. I must admit, they do have a point...

I offer bystanders advice tho... "stay in your lane please, I dont want to be run over".

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I have been riding at lunch every day for about 20 minutes. Really just making a loop or two at the baseball field down the block. There is a pretty poor quality asphalt border that rings the field, complete with a lot of cracks and bumps and loose dirt here and there.  I have found that after spending the week riding on it, when I ride on good pavement, it feels like a dream. Probably good training.

I am getting more comfortable each day, although I have a long way to go. Still trying to figure out foot placement forward to back. Mounting is getting easier as I learn how to balance better on one foot.

I also received my cover today, which is a good thing because my ride is a bit scratched up...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jlgerber said:

There is a pretty poor quality asphalt border that rings the field, complete with a lot of cracks and bumps and loose dirt here and there.  I have found that after spending the week riding on it, when I ride on good pavement, it feels like a dream. Probably good training.

It's excellent training, and should be taken advantage of at all possible opportunities because bad pavement tends to crop up at the most inopportune moments and having practiced will keep your brain from freaking out (as badly). Same goes for emergency stops (what I call the sh-one-tting position), you want to get good at them because you'll need 'em. I had to figure out how to not get all wobbly—it took a fair amount of repetition... go quickly, stop as quickly as you can, go quickly, stop as quickly as you can, this is boring, ride around for a while, stop as quickl...

Well I continue to get more confident on the unicycle. I am now riding fast enough that it is telling me to slow down. I guess I will have to tinker with the app. i am also experiencing something a bit weird. Every once in a while, it feels like the unicycle is leaning a bit forward. Like it isnt flat. I would think that this is what folks describe as peddle dip, but it isnt momentary. Should I re-calibrate my wheel?

Also, I may be heading up to Portland at some point in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations for good places for newbies to ride there?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jlgerber said:

Should I re-calibrate my wheel?

It seems a little soon to have to calibrate. But from the sound of it, it would benefit from a calibration. My 16X felt like a new wheel after a calibration ... for the same reason you describe. But I waited for about 7 months ... maybe a bit long.

• Like 1

When I first began riding, I was worried about pedal dip. Being new, it was all so foreign to me. It doesnt hurt to 'properly' calibrate the wheel. Just dont do it in uber cold conditions. Maybe yours needs it, or maybe its just doing as itt should? Mine only did it when I was changing directions on a slight inclie change. All my wheels do it, but as a newbie, it was something i wasnt ready for and worried me. Turns out, nothing was wrong and I dont notice any longer.

18 hours ago, jlgerber said:

Also, I may be heading up to Portland at some point in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations for good places for newbies to ride there?

There is a good Portland eRiders FB group up here and I'm sure you could find some people to ride with when you come. There is a good group ride every Friday night if you are here for the weekend.

Here's a good video Jimmy Chang made a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooVt6LZbQHU

Edited by MurseMGV