18XL long term storage voltage loss

null

13 hours ago, null said:

Now and then there is a thread about long term storage, and various recommendations get tossed around, but we rarely get to hear the end of the story.

My 18XL have been hibernating for 6 months now, in a cool environment, maybe 10-15c median, at nominal voltage (as recommended) +a little margin for the loss. It was supposed to hold for as long as a year, but I got my mother to plug in some power to make sure voltage was fine.

To my amazement, there was basically no voltage loss. If anything I regret having the charger plugged in at all, because it would have given the actual ridiculously nice numbers.

• a bit over 6 months ago: 74,23V (3,7115/cell)
  • Today, stock charger 2 min: 74,68V

So, thank you Samsung 35E, and thank you 18XL for not having any vampire drain.
Next year it will be the Shermans Sanyo NCR18650GA who will be in storage, we'll see how that goes.

Even I must admit, this is excellent news! Well done, locksong! No, seriously: Well done!!!

@TomOnWheels fingers crossed. You gotta let us know what you find out!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Unfortunately it won't even power on. It refuse to charge. So vampire drain seems to be right there on Solowheel Xtrem...

Oh man, that sucks. You could always open it up and try to jump start that bad boy? Wear some eye protection and do it away from flammables. Just as most my advice, this could be bad. Also, could prove entertaining or even work!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh man, that sucks. You could always open it up and try to jump start that bad boy? Wear some eye protection and do it away from flammables. Just as most my advice, this could be bad. Also, could prove entertaining or even work!

Sure ! I will give it a try ! I read somewhere that under certain voltage it will refuse to charge. Also I remember that when you turn the wheel by hand, solowheel light are blinking. So actually, before dismounting it, I will try to use a driller to quickly turn the wheel. I know it sounds crazy, but it will maybe charge the battery just enough for a normal charging then...

10 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Sure ! I will give it a try ! I read somewhere that under certain voltage it will refuse to charge. Also I remember that when you turn the wheel by hand, solowheel light are blinking. So actually, before dismounting it, I will try to use a driller to quickly turn the wheel. I know it sounds crazy, but it will maybe charge the battery just enough for a normal charging then...

That doesnt sound crazy, sounds like a smart idea. I mean hell, even if it doesnt work, you'll learn that it doesnt and you didnt damage or risk much injury. The fun thing about equipment that is non working... you've little to lose by just trying random shit to fix it. Just be mindfull of battery safety. I cant suggest much, but i do know some of my old RC batteries wouldnt charge once too low. SOMETIMES I could whack em with power directly and THEN I could charge them. I'm sure its dangrous, but hell, its your house this time, not mine. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

That doesnt sound crazy, sounds like a smart idea. I mean hell, even if it doesnt work, you'll learn that it doesnt and you didnt damage or risk much injury. The fun thing about equipment that is non working... you've little to lose by just trying random shit to fix it. Just be mindfull of battery safety. I cant suggest much, but i do know some of my old RC batteries wouldnt charge once too low. SOMETIMES I could whack em with power directly and THEN I could charge them. I'm sure its dangrous, but hell, its your house this time, not mine. :)

Thanks @ShanesPlanet! Yes, I would like to avoid messing with batteries as much as possible... I don't have proper equipment anyway to try to charge it directly. I use KS18L on daily bases, but I'll try to save my old good Solowheel just, well, because it was one of my 1st  EUC :-) I think that it's simply a kind of safety feature of BMC to not charge under certain voltage or maybe the charger need certain voltage level, to detect that there is a load to charge... Anyway, I will take care of it this week-end and post here how it goes !

On 2/14/2021 at 9:55 PM, null said:

Now and then there is a thread about long term storage, and various recommendations get tossed around, but we rarely get to hear the end of the story.

My 18XL have been hibernating for 6 months now, in a cool environment, maybe 10-15c average, at nominal voltage (as recommended) +a little margin for the loss. It was supposed to stay for as long as a year, but I got my mother to plug in some power to make sure voltage was fine.

To my amazement, there was basically no voltage loss. If anything I regret having the charger plugged in at all, because it would have given the actual ridiculously nice numbers.

• A bit over 6 months ago: 74,23V (3,7115/cell)
  • Today, stock charger 2 min: 74,68V

So, thank you Samsung 35E, and thank you 18XL for not having any vampire drain.
Next year it will be the Shermans Sanyo NCR18650GA who will be in storage, we'll see how that goes.

I did the same test on my wheels, and both have stayed within 1V after hibernating for 3 months as well. This is for the KS S-18 and KS 16-b/c. I left both at a 75% charge before putting them away.

Edited by FinRider
  • Like 1