1 wheel or 2?

Total n00b... post number one. I did try to search this but I suspect I don't have enough jargon to do it effectively...

Thinking of getting into the sport but when I go to shop I see some units with one wheel and others with two... 

Any thoughts on which would be best for a newbie/learner?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome.

The two wheelers are mostly experiments, probably interesting for the 15 first minutes of learning.. Single wheels are where it happens, they are agile and is what everyone make nowadays.

As for starting there are two approaches: either get a random second hand / cheap thing to learn on (100-400€), then upgrade later, or something solid that would fit you directly (800€+). Anything goes to learn on, the more expensive the more you can pad it.

Check your local second hand, or dealers and list by price if you're weary of putting too much money in it. If you are sure of your case and want to invest more, tell us your needs, you will get some indications.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, overdraft said:

Total n00b... post number one. I did try to search this but I suspect I don't have enough jargon to do it effectively...

Thinking of getting into the sport but when I go to shop I see some units with one wheel and others with two... 

Any thoughts on which would be best for a newbie/learner?

Thanks!

Two wheels are easier to start, but much less fun/excitment/whatever other positive emotion possible afterwards.

So imho just a lost investment and not worth a thought.

The cool thing is riding on one single wheel - that's it!

• Like 1

@null and @chriull ,

Thanks for the input... I wondered whether two would be easier to learn on, but didn't know it would limit future performance so that's great info.

I've been trolling the local used market without much success so may end up getting forced into a new machine. Given that I'll stick with looking at one wheeled units since I'm going to try and buy something that I will learn on but which will also entertain me for a while after.

• Like 3

I have both. Two-wheel is good to start with, and its milage is limited. I use it to move around the neighbourhood. One-wheel can go farther - of course depending on the model. I use it when there is longer trip.

If you are determined to learn EUC, definitely start with a used one. I don't think you will crash and hurt yourself badly, but your wheel will take lots of hits, so second hand is good idea.

Another pain with a 2 wheel one (apart from any reduce mileage and onlookers thinking that you just couldn't manage a proper EUC) is, that when you're riding along an incline, the 2 wheel version wants to lean over with the slope (like a car) while a normal EUC  will ride upright (like a bicycle).

I was in a similar position to you nearly 2years ago when I was looking at buying my first wheel. I'm 60yrs old and had my doubts whether I'd be able to ride a one wheeler so the 2 wheeler did initially look attractive.

After watching numerous videos of people learning to ride I came to the conclusion that very very few people are completely unable to ride a one wheeler and with a bit of practice I ought to be able ride one. In the end I bought a Inmotion V5F which is a bit dated by modern standards but which I was able to ride fairly easy.

I don't regret buying the V5F at all , it got me riding and gave me great pleasure - if I'd bought a 2 wheeler I'm sure I'd have lost interest in a day or 2 and the wheel would end up unused.

I guess in a nutshell I'm saying don't even consider a 2 wheeler, buy a proper uni, you'll soon be able to ride one and have far more fun in the process :)

• Like 1

I’m with Gasmantle on this. I’m 67 and went for the V8f as my first wheel. I bought it from myewheel.com on Sofia Bulgaria...excellent price and service..they threw in the INMOTION wheel protection cover free of charge. Learning to ride...well not fall off when doing gentle turns and straight lines took about two hours, spread over four sessions of 30 mins. It went like...Impossible...Impossible...Absolutely impossible...to..Holy Crap! I’m riding!!  So, just do it...It’s brilliant fun! 

• Like 1