Non-stable Sherman

Daley1

So ive done 500ks on the Sherman.Out of the box pedal dipping was noticeable straight away. I,m still waiting on a FW chip to fix this.This machine had a shocking ride at 40ks an hour .Tried reseating the tyre and it was a bit better but have not been able to get past 50/kmh due to vibration/shaking at this speed. Played with the tyre pressures a bit and u definitely ride this with lower pressure than other wheels.I will have another go at playing around with reseating  the tyre and hopefully have a FW chip soon but overall it is somewhat disappointing at this stage. Cant recommend this to would-be buyers at this stage as its sucking the joy at of my riding !I know i,m not the only one with these problems and would be interested to see how many other Shermans are afffected by wheel instability!

2 hours ago, Ferreal said:

My tire was also misaligned. The ride was extremely bumpy and didn’t want to go straight.

I tried to aligned it but it felt like there was something not right. I took it to a bicycle shop and they were able to reseat the tire without disassembling the wheel. They told me that there was a bubble around the valve stem area which they were able to get rid of. This was the best they could do to center the tire and refused to spend more time on it. They said that the tire/rim were not made to fit with each other perfectly. 

I took the wheel home and did my best to center the tire. It now rides smooth and just wants to go straight. I’m happy with the results :). Removing the bubble fixed the issue for me.

I love the wheel now!

Here’s my experience with the Sherman so far.

• Like 1

Here is the best method I have found:

• Lower the pressure to just a few pounds (enough to keep the tube puffy).
  • Go around the tire bead and make sure it is free of the rim and that the tube is not pinched. This will allow you to easily move the tire and tube in or out on the rim as necessary.
  • With the wheel laying on its side, place a straight edge (a carpenters square works well) on the floor perpendicular to the tread. Place the straight edge in slight contact with the highest spot on the tread. Look between the tread and the straight edge for high or low spots as you rotate the wheel.
  • Pull or push the tire and tube to center as best as possible(as you rotate the tire, make the gap between the straight edge and tread have as little variance as possible).
  • Inflate.

This method has given me the least vibration and wobble of all methods I have tried.

The reality is that not all tires are created equal, but this has let me get the one I have as symmetrical as possible.

I also notice "medium" mode is a smoother ride at low speed (firmware 1056). The Sherman is happier at higher speeds for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive fixed the Sherman vibration. Tried the pull and push method but with a mild success.The highest bubble was around the valve opening .The tube /valve (where it exits the wheel)takes up a lot of space which seems to stop the tyre seating deep enough into the wheel rim." . I deflated the tyre to about 5-10psi and rode it 10 metres and then reinflated."Voila" it was like magic.Took it for some high speed runs and hit 55kmh without that deadly vibration! The deflate and ride seems to push the tyre past the tube lip into its proper place.All those people who get vibration from 35kmh to 50kmh should try this method first. Also have a chip to update the FW so it will b like a new machine ,

• Like 2

Well got the Fw upgrade chip.Thought this would b easy as.Nope!.Those pesky little Chinese quality controllers had smothered the Bluetooth module in electronics glue.Back and sides were glued to adjoining structures,.Took me 60 mins to cut the glue away lift the module out and then updated the Fw,The update went alright i think.I tried to use Euc world to check the update but now EUCworld wont connect.It scans but cant find the Sherman but can find my 16s.Mayhaps the 4 pin bluetooth module is in the wrong holes????The FW chip is a 5 pin connector and the bluetooth module is 4 pins.Riding without the Bluetooth module is not a big deal is it????Ahhhh,  i,ll have another play around tomorrow and hope all the pins are still intact!:crying:

the bt modul sits all the way to the inner site of the board i think, so you have one pin outside unused. i just pulled on the bt modul and it came of with some glue left on it, so was able to see how it was sitting by lining up the glue remains when pushing it back in ;)

• Like 1

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Everything works fine .New BT fw update fixes pedal dip and brakes harder i think.Stability good at 60kmh and looking forward to some more high speed runs!

• Like 3