Suspension Wheel Quality Control Issues

Hey all,

As I gain experience on my Nikola, I'm starting to realize that a suspension wheel will probably suit my riding style well (both because of some knee pain and because of the bumpy bike trails around here).  I've was following the S18 and V11 launches and then stopped following them when the pre-release discussions ran their course.  But now that both are on the streets and real people have them, I'm curious what's going on.  I don't really want to read through hundreds of pages of bickering in the respective threads so I'm looking for a summary of where things stand now.

From my research, it seems like they're both have QC issues right now.  The S18 seems to be having more frequent and more severe issues.  The V11 seems to have fewer issues and they seem to be addressing them quickly.  Without getting into the actual differences between the wheels, it seems like the V11 is the safer bet right now (with current orders going into batch 3).

As to differences in the wheels, it seems like the S18 is more suited to aggressive offroad riding (Chooch style) while the V11 is more suited to cushy street cruising.  It also seems like the S18 has some serious safety issues with the smaller battery/bigger motor combo.  Oh and I think I read that the S18 requires a lot more maintenance than the V11?

I guess where I'm going with this is twofold:

1 - Is it even worth considering the S18 at this point if I don't ride offroad?  That seems to be its only strong point, and that's if you ignore the quality and safety red flags.

2 - Even if the V11 is the better choice, is it still too soon to get one?  I don't want to be a QA tester for InMotion, I just want a wheel that works.  Should I be waiting beyond batch 3 or is batch 3 a safe bet?

• Like 1

I am having  similar thoughts. I rode with a guy a couple times that just got an S18 just over a month ago. It took him a little bit to dial in the suspension and it seems to work well enough for him. He is on the lighter side like Chooch, so the battery works well enough for him. He get good range and speed out of it. IMHO, I would think that somebody over 170 pounds might want to think carefully about how they ride it.

I was holding off on ordering the V11, but there are people here praising their production wheel, so I took a leap of faith and just put in the order. I am hoping it turns out like the 16X. I ordered that just after a few fixes went in production. It has worked flawlessly for me.    

• Like 1

My view on these atm:

7 hours ago, Stillhart said:

1 - Is it even worth considering the S18 at this point if I don't ride offroad? 

The S18 is not yet a worthy consideration no matter where you ride. While even a nearly stuck suspension will be an epiphany to many riders who haven’t ridden a suspension EUC before, there are many build and some design issues as well. KS needs a good amount of time to resolve these if they want the S18 to be worthy of it’s asking price.

Btw, the S18 can only fit a low profile street tire. I don’t know why it would be seen as an off-road EUC.

7 hours ago, Stillhart said:

2 - Even if the V11 is the better choice, is it still too soon to get one?

So far the weak saddle brackets have been the only clear design issue, which is to be fixed for batch 3. All other issues have been one-offs or otherwise extremely rare occurrences. To me there are older models still being sold that have more and/or more severe issues than the current V11. And as you said, IM is on top of the game attacking all issues, big and small, common and rare. The warranty works well, at least for factory preorders.

But as you probably know already, a certain level of DIY attitude is required for any EUC. Warranty issues are usually solved by shipping you the spare parts which you have to install yourself. The tire change is much more involved than on a bicycle. Etc. So while you can’t expect a faultless new Tesla car owner’s experience, the V11 was already a top class wheel the day it came out.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My view on these atm:

The S18 is not yet a worthy consideration no matter where you ride. While even a nearly stuck suspension will be an epiphany to many riders who haven’t ridden a suspension EUC before, there are many build and some design issues as well. KS needs a good amount of time to resolve these if they want the S18 to be worthy of it’s asking price.

Btw, the S18 can only fit a low profile street tire. I don’t know why it would be seen as an off-road EUC.

So far the weak saddle brackets have been the only clear design issue, which is to be fixed for batch 3. All other issues have been one-offs or otherwise extremely rare occurrences. To me there are older models still being sold that have more and/or more severe issues than the current V11. And as you said, IM is on top of the game attacking all issues, big and small, common and rare. The warranty works well, at least for factory preorders.

But as you probably know already, a certain level of DIY attitude is required for any EUC. Warranty issues are usually solved by shipping you the spare parts which you have to install yourself. The tire change is much more involved than on a bicycle. Etc. So while you can’t expect a faultless new Tesla car owner’s experience, the V11 was already a top class wheel the day it came out.

Thanks for your take on these.  Regarding the bolded part, aren't we between batches right now on the S18?  Isn't the assumption that they're going to be fixing some of these issues with the next batch?  Are you suggesting waiting to see if they're actually fixed, or are you suggesting that they haven't indicated any plans to fix the problems?

I'm really torn now because I genuinely liked the S18.  But I don't want a "project", I want something that will just work for the most part. 

Getting to test both wheels is a huge benefit when deciding. I got to do so only right after receiving my V11, but I felt very differently about the S18 than you did, and the list of absolutely no-nos for me on the S18 were a mile long. It seems that there are big differences in how the individual units ride.

1 hour ago, Stillhart said:

I doubt the V11 has the ability to feel like a tight sport suspension.

Sure it has. Pump up the main chamber +20 lbs over the recommended, and pump the negative chamber at 60% of the positive. It will be very tight and controlled, and handle large jumps no problem. The blanket recommendation of 50lbs in the negative doesn’t work well for other than 75-80kg riders.

1 hour ago, Stillhart said:

Thanks for your take on these.  Regarding the bolded part, aren't we between batches right now on the S18?  Isn't the assumption that they're going to be fixing some of these issues with the next batch?  Are you suggesting waiting to see if they're actually fixed, or are you suggesting that they haven't indicated any plans to fix the problems?

Sure, they have said that “they’ll fix stuff”, but fe. the tire rubbing issues were promised to be fixed for the production version in response to the pre-production feedback, but it never came to fruition. That’s why I definitely recommend waiting until the issues are actually fixed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

While I really wish KingSong had simply made the fender with a larger clearance for different tires, you can at least fit a smaller off-road tire. Here is an example:

As for the S18 vs V11 debate, I think that the reason some people like the S18 better is because of the control. Watching experienced riders quickly being able to do jumps and advanced riding on the S18 makes me think that the S18 is designed around giving the rider the best control over the wheel (also the rebound adjust-ability helps with this). So for me, the S18 design philosophy seems to be more suited to my riding style. That being said, the execution by KingSong to actually make this wheel has been pretty terrible so far. I too am waiting to see how they improve the S18 in future batches and if they can't, I'll be upgrading to a different wheel.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Sure, they have said that “they’ll fix stuff”, but fe. the tire rubbing issues were promised to be fixed for the production version in response to the pre-production feedback, but it never came to fruition. That’s why I definitely recommend waiting until the issues are actually fixed.

Ah, thanks, this is really useful information and based on it, I'd have to agree that waiting seems prudent.

The V11 and the S18 definitely have different feels to them, I can see how someone would have a strong preference for one over the other.  But having ridden it myself, I can now see what people like Chooch and Kuji see in it.  If (and that's a big if) you get one without any major issues, it's a fun little wheel.