What to do about this rim dent?

Alex Tsepkov

I just inspected my wheel to find a slight dent in the rim:

boee59O.jpg

It rides without problems, I do hear some periodicity to the sound the EUC makes while riding but can't tell if it's related to the rim or standard motor operation. I also don't know if this is recent or from previous owner (I bought it used and been riding it for about a week). What, if anything, would you suggest I do with it? I really don't want to take apart the EUC if I don't have to. Should I ignore it? If not, can I apply a lever from the inside groove toward the outside rail to bend it back outwards without taking apart the EUC? The wheel is a Gotway Tesla V2, if it matters. I've seen U-Stride take his apart because of a small dent and take it to a car mechanic, but I'd prefer to skip that whole ordeal and don't have a car to commute on in the meantime.

Edited by Alex Tsepkov

3 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How do you true the rim (repair)?

Laterally I can see how it's possible, but radially no. It will remain dented but only radially.

If not, how do you actually pull the dent outward?

Wouldn't force applied from inside the grove towards the outside of the rim force it out radially? If there is something more nuanced I'm not getting, please clarify.

Word of caution do not apply heat to rim as this will damage the Motor magnets 

Find a hardwood or Nylon block same width as were the rim gap is true 

This need to be a very snug fit

Suggest using a internal calipers to find true size

Reduce tyre  pressure a bit 15PSI should be fine

Then tap block this in the direction of the dent gently 

You could try just going from 1 side all the way across but i would do it a little at a time from both sides 

Keep an eye on the angle of the block being hit so it is going in the direction of the wheel circumference  and not into the  rim

Ps this is just of the top of my head ,on the fly, guess work

if not of use then maybe an inspiration to something else

Gaz

4 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How do you true the rim (repair)?

Laterally I can see how it's possible, but radially no. It will remain dented but only radially.

If not, how do you actually pull the dent outward?

Did you see my video after repair? All is fine, radially and laterally. 

32 minutes ago, Gaz Bon said:

Word of caution do not apply heat to rim as this will damage the Motor magnets 

Find a hardwood or Nylon block same width as were the rim gap is true 

This need to be a very snug fit

Suggest using a internal calipers to find true size

Reduce tyre  pressure a bit 15PSI should be fine

Then tap block this in the direction of the dent gently 

You could try just going from 1 side all the way across but i would do it a little at a time from both sides 

Keep an eye on the angle of the block being hit so it is going in the direction of the wheel circumference  and not into the  rim

Ps this is just of the top of my head ,on the fly, guess work

if not of use then maybe an inspiration to something else

Gaz

So basically I want an object of identical size/shape to the unbent rim gap and force it to travel through the bent portion radially (applying force tangentially to the gap but not outward), which would in turn force the rim to unbend? Could I 3D-print this object?

1 hour ago, Alex Tsepkov said:

So basically I want an object of identical size/shape to the unbent rim gap and force it to travel through the bent portion radially (applying force tangentially to the gap but not outward), which would in turn force the rim to unbend? Could I 3D-print this object?

If you have the skills why not

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, Alex Tsepkov said:

I just inspected my wheel to find a slight dent in the rim:

boee59O.jpg

It rides without problems, I do hear some periodicity to the sound the EUC makes while riding but can't tell if it's related to the rim or standard motor operation. I also don't know if this is recent or from previous owner (I bought it used and been riding it for about a week). What, if anything, would you suggest I do with it? I really don't want to take apart the EUC if I don't have to. Should I ignore it? If not, can I apply a lever from the inside groove toward the outside rail to bend it back outwards without taking apart the EUC? The wheel is a Gotway Tesla V2, if it matters. I've seen U-Stride take his apart because of a small dent and take it to a car mechanic, but I'd prefer to skip that whole ordeal and don't have a car to commute on in the meantime.

I have the same on my KS 16X since few months back. I just dont care. If you want that to be fixed, talk to a bicycle or a MC repair and service company. They have the gear to get it done. Or, do it yourself, there is a load of 'how to' on the net about EUC rim fix, probably here on the forum as well.