S-Plus 10km/h only and other problem falls suddenly

In manual:

For your safety, the miniPLUS will limit the max speed to 2.5 mph (4 km/h) until you complete the New Rider Tutorial. For the first 0.6 miles (1 km) after completing the New Rider Tutorial, the max speed will be limited to 6.2 mph (10 km/h), after which you can disable the speed limiter via the App and reach a maximum speed of miniPLUS (see specifications).

So completed tutorial, made 6km bur still have 10km/h speed limit, speed slider in app settings is up to 10km/h only.

Also when I get off S-Plus it sometimes powers off and falls.

How to rise speed limit and fix these random power offs?

Is it because I bumped few times to  obstacles and and fell off S-Plus? there was beeping sound like some kind of alarm.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, rider6 said:

thank you, was looking at settings -> speed 

stupid app, besides that button is barely visible in sunlight and dark mode on.

anyone experienced self power-offs?

It you leave in n-minutes without it moving it will automatically power-off.  If you mean power-off while riding... well that would be a problem, it can happen with fall electronics or battery, or if pushed too hard depending on what you mean by 'off'  as there are many stores of 'off' for some people, and for practical purposes of a functioning machine.

I've also had issues with self power-offs, only when not riding it...it's happened twice randomly...when it's in motor assist mode and not lock mode...it can randomly stop balancing. Not power off, but like fall over, but luckily both times it was against a wall and on a carpet. Any idea on a solution? Do ya'll think it's a firmware thing?

Actually I think I figured out why...so the first time I think I left it to idle for more than 10 mins and that's why it stopped balancing. The second time I was calibrating it using the 'posture sensor calibration' and it purposely stops balancing if you don't hold it in place. So I think I figured out why it would stop on it's own when not riding it. 

it powers off when not riding, maybe it is around 10 minutes. i think when i push it a little every some minutes timeout exceeds.

however when locked it does not happen, so probably was programmed that way because some “genius” assumed it was left unattended.

locking back and forth when making say groceries is not convenient , you have to reach for remote every time.

is there option to auto-lock for example when loses bluetooth connection with phone?

sometimes it also falls when not riding without powering off but did not figure circumstances 

• 2 years later...

I almost die yesterday while riding ninebot s plus. I was riding it in sports mode when it sudden turned off. I fall hardly on the ground and hit my face, chest, and dislocate my right shoulder. I am still paining a lot now...this is my issue... Ihow can I make segway/ninebot responsible? It was an scarry moment for me.

• 8 months later...

I had a crash similar to Kosher.

So I had a crash on my Segway ninebot s-plus. It is like the tires locked up. I hit the speed limit and it did the normal beeps, but only 3 beeps and threw me forward. Flat on my face.  Messed up my wrist and I have road rash on both arms. Also banged up my knees pretty bad. This was caught on a security camera. When I picked it up the power was off (it was about 20 minutes later) and I tried to roll it by hand and it was making a grinding sound. I pushed it back and forth a 3 to 4 times and started rolling normally. It seems ok now, but I am afraid to get back on it without it being checked out. I am sure it has a problem and I am not sure what to do to get it checked out and fixed. Also I have ver 100 miles on it purchased 8 months ago. So I am a good and safe rider. Not sure what happened. Any help or advice"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ajmorgan said:

Toute aide ou conseil"

Hello, I have an SPLUS. After 18,000 km, while regularly climbing hills, it suddenly stopped on an incline, resulting in both my knees being fractured. I discussed it with my "friend" CID Wang from Ninebot, and it turned out the battery was dead. I can tell you right away that a battery should last more than 18,000 km (28,968.192 miles). Ninebot promptly sent me a new battery. It's normal to feel fear about riding again; I always have a bit when climbing slopes with my SPLUS.

Now, what were the terrain conditions for you? Was it flat, uphill, or downhill? If it was downhill and your battery was full, there might have been an overcharge, causing the SPLUS to cut off power. If it was uphill and you had only two bars left, like I did, the battery level suddenly drops because the algorithm calculates the climbing effort, anticipating a high motor power. It's predictive but not gradual, resulting in a sudden surge in power that momentarily drains the battery to zero. If there are only two bars or one, it will inevitably cut off. Did you recently update the firmware?

Edited by jojo33

Hi, thank you for your reply. I was on flat ground going between my shop and my house. About 300 feet. My battery was at 3 bars. It seems like a mechanical bind? Because when I got back to my splus with it turned off, no power on  I tried to roll it and it was making a grinding noise. Then after moving it back and forth it freed up and seems fine now.

3 hours ago, Ajmorgan said:

Firmware is up to date, it was not recently updated.

The grinding noise
either it's the hub cover and often it's a deflated tire and the hub cover no longer adheres to the tire
Check the tire pressure, then you do a reset via the self-balancing application etc., before you remove the steering bar cover, you disconnect the bar for a few tens of seconds, you turn it on, you turn it off, you reconnect the steering bar, you turn it back on (it's just the power supply to the radar in the steering bar, sometimes it creates problems with the power supply or the follow me mode)

On 1/25/2024 at 9:11 AM, jojo33 said:

Hello, I have an SPLUS. After 18,000 km, while regularly climbing hills, it suddenly stopped on an incline, resulting in both my knees being fractured.

!!!! Wow, you poor guy. That is nasty! I truly hope you are healing fast and well from this! You don't deserve this, especially after all your work promoting and giving information about the Minipros:cry2:

I'm starting to think these Minipros just are not safe enough to recommend them to anyone. It seems their tech is stuck years in the past and Ninebot never bothered to keep up-to-date. Is that impression correct? Or are the issues people have just with old ones?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow, you poor guy

Yes, thank you very much. I still haven't had surgery on both of my knees. It's already been two years since I had this accident. Fortunately, Cid Wang from Ninebot responded by giving me a new battery. The problem is that there are, of course, improvements regarding the latest models L6, L8, I believe, and the latest models of Mini Pro 2, S2. So, the improvements involve the runaway, meaning when the Mini Pro, the self-balancing scooter, would take off, and you couldn't stop it. This time, it locks up with the new firmware of these new models. I don't think these firmwares have been applied to the old models, since I, on my Mini S+, don't have that function at all. After that, what happened? Probably better management of the BMS.  So, yes, I think there are improvements in safety. It's still a somewhat dangerous device, so you need to know how to pilot it correctly, know how to get off quickly from the back to avoid spectacular falls like I had.

The terrain was special as far as I was concerned. I had left Bordeaux, a flat city, to live in the countryside during the covid crisis. I landed in a corner where there were only hills, sharp climbs, I went up in a zig-zag, but after 150 climbs the battery cut out.
The Segway ninebot Mini S are very good products, very good shock resistance, but only for use on flat roads.

Yes, so that's why I'm confident that the battery life can go up to 18,000 km. It's an LG battery in the Mini S+. 😀😀😀🥴🥴

Edited by jojo33
  • Like 1