Is it Legal?

Dgar

I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. It seems like all the bike paths out here in the Cook County Forest Preserves and Palos have signs that say "No Motorized Vehicles". I was wondering if that applies to electric motors as well as gas. Has anyone ever actually been detained for riding on any of the paths around here?

For those that know this area, are there any paths that are available for riding. I'm getting kind of tired riding around on sidewalks and residential streets only.

• Like 1

Those signs generally refer to cars and motorcycles. Not things like PEVS. That's not to say there isn't a law on the books, there might be, but generally that's not what those signs are for. Here in my city in Ohio the metro park rangers are ruthless and have kicked me out many times. But on bike paths outside of parks I've never been given a second look. State parks the rangers and cops don't seem to care either.

A friendly chat with your local PD would be very helpful. Just say your tired of driving traffic and people hitting you...I have found PD is very sympathetic to getting people off the road and out of cars.

They can tell you what is "enforced". There are many laws, but few are "enforced".

All parks in my area are marked "no scooters or motorized vehicles", but they do not enforce it.

And, common sense prevails. I slow down when passing people, wave to them. Don't go 30mph next to pedestrians and you should be good.

Edited by Circuitmage

In California, the legislation AB604 strictly distinguishes "motorized vehicles" from "electric motorized vehicles," which refers to EUCs and the like. Most people including law enforcement agents don't know about this legislation. I don't blame them. Why would they? So it is up to us to be educated and know the law and our rights.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, scubadragosan said:

In California, the legislation AB604 strictly distinguishes "motorized vehicles" from "electric motorized vehicles," which refers to EUCs and the like. Most people including law enforcement agents don't know about this legislation. I don't blame them. Why would they? So it is up to us to be educated and know the law and our rights.

Just make sure you're actually following the law before you tell them it exists

313.5. ...less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which... is no more than 20 miles per hour

21292 ...wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212

21294. ...shall only operate upon a highway designated with a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less... shall not operate an electrically motorized board upon a highway, bikeway, or any other public bicycle path, sidewalk, or trail, at a speed in excess of 15 miles per hour

Some of  you may prefer to try to sweet talk your way out of it.