Padded MSX 84v overlean threshold?

I love riding my MSX. Experienced rider.

However I wonder how hard on can push the wheel with leaning forward, if one has pads to do so. Is it possible to generate a cutout this way? At what angle? Anyone who's just had it cut out from the first few meters of driving, just by overleaning?

It is possible. The actual angle when it can happen varies from so many different parameters that no one can say anything worthwhile.

I have noticed that the soft mode actually keeps my leans in check. If i lean too fast at the start, the pedals will dip more than what I’m comfortable with. I know it’s still very far from an overlean, but keeping that as a measure I won’t lose perspective as easily as I would with the harder modes.

• Like 1

usually you can lean twice as far as you think ;) 

but the thing is, the battery/bms/controll board is only able to pull a certant amount of power, there is a limit, and when you hit that limit the wheel can not keep you up anymore. if you have ever ridden a cheap clone euc (airwheel/orbwheel what ever) even me (60kg) can over power it if i push the wheel in front of me quick, and if i would have commited in those situations i would have had a faceplant.

<3 I have over-pushed a weaker wheel once, but that was weaker than a GW ACM2. This one is stronger. Looking for someone who's actually done it on an MSX :)

Edited by Souleye

Lookking for someone who's actually done it on an MSX :)

I have done it a few times on the 84V MSX, but only under specific conditions off road. If I need exploding acceleration to bounce my 105kg torso up a short but very steep incline, the MSX torque runs out if I’m not careful. But for street riding, any non-explosive intent has just been met with a powerful acceleration. Even when hitting small bumps uphill while accelerating with the pads, and pushing the pads further as my knees flex, all the requested power has been delivered without hesitation.

This has been on the soft mode though. I should try if the medium or hard would do better off road, since they react that much faster.

Edited by mrelwood

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

"any non-explosive Internet"??

This has been on the soft mode though. I should try if the medium or hard would do better off road, since they react that much faster.

I ride hard mode only... I guess I want to know if starting from zero with a lot of leaning on a flat street surface is dangerous. Or uphill...

On 7/7/2020 at 1:57 AM, Souleye said:

I love riding my MSX. Experienced rider.

However I wonder how hard on can push the wheel with leaning forward, if one has pads to do so. Is it possible to generate a cutout this way? At what angle? Anyone who's just had it cut out from the first few meters of driving, just by overleaning?

I once got logs of a MSX 84V and "estimated" the motor current(torque) over speed limit as in https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/?do=findComment&comment=281335

The 250A are just some upper limit line without a meaning (needed a value for my plot program), as mosfets and motor wires should not have any chance to survive such a current.

I do not know if the MSX has some firmware current limiting?

Of interest for you are the two black lines "going down" and crossing the speed axis between 70 and 80 km/h. They are both for different battery voltages, as no load (~lift cut off) speed is direct proportional to no load battery voltage. Don't remember which voltages these were for this diagram...(1)

So to determine how hard you can lean with your MSX do some logs with EUC World, wheellog or Darknesbot. Slowly increase acceleration with every try until you come near to about 80..120A - afaik&r that's about the motor current range were it starts to get dangerous for the mosfets and motor wires. Some seconds in a not to high part of this region should hopefully work out?

According to my diagram this should be safe (if the fets survive) to a bit above 50 km/h.

So try this best with full batteries, stay below 40 km/h and wear good safety gear!

If there exist different battery configurations for the MSX the ones with lesser capacitance will have less steep limit lines (lower max speed at 100A!)

Have fun and stay save!

(1) measure/log your lift cut off speed with full batteries and check if it's in the 80 km/h range. Not that i messed this up and the diagram is for another wheel ;)

• Like 1