How do I stick sidepads to my MCM5?

A few months ago I've received an awesome MCM5 but I've not sticked the included pads to the wheel.
Now I tried to do so but I've noticed that taking away the paper from those pads there's nothing sticky, dunno why.
I've tried with biadhesive scotch and it works properly for the wheel but not for the side of those pads (the are not strongly attached).

Do you have any suggestion? Thanks so much.
I include the picture of the pads.

1735699711_PadMCM5.thumb.jpg.8175fb10af7f73b188a03be918e9074c.jpg

Haha :laughbounce2: probably Chinese fake 3M 300LSE double sided tape. 

I use 3M 300LSE for my pads and it sticks very good on EPDM foam. 

If it's not fake tape then the double sided tape guy did forget cleaning the pads before sticking the tape on it, after he touched the surface with his grease fingers. :efefa6edcf:

Yeah, my pads were ruined because trying to pull the backing off actually pulled the adhesive off the foam rubber.  Regardless, they are a bad shape for the MCM5.  You have to put them up high as the shell curves in otherwise they bow your leg out in a painful fashion.  I placed them right below the level on the trolley handle which allows you to squeeze the shell when needed.  That is, until they fell off again and I just quit using them.

1 minute ago, bryon01 said:

Yeah, my pads were ruined because trying to pull the backing off actually pulled the adhesive off the foam rubber.  Regardless, they are a bad shape for the MCM5.  You have to put them up high as the shell curves in otherwise they bow your leg out in a painful fashion.  I placed them right below the level on the trolley handle which allows you to squeeze the shell when needed.  That is, until they fell off again and I just quit using them.

Do you have a picture of the position of your pads? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Haha :laughbounce2: probably Chinese fake 3M 300LSE double sided tape. 

I use 3M 300LSE for my pads and it sticks very good on EPDM foam. 

If it's not fake tape then the double sided tape guy did forget cleaning the pads before sticking the tape on it, after he touched the surface with his grease fingers. :efefa6edcf:

Very good quesiton. Fake or not?
Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

Do you have a picture of the tape I should buy? :)

25 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Very good quesiton. Fake or not?
Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

Do you have a picture of the tape I should buy? :)

The picture from the tape is right. 3M 300LSE Serie, try 9495LE if available. There are so many different versions. 

Ha, I almost thought the same thing when applying them on my MSP, took 5 minutes on each one to get the backing peeled off correctly, I peeled a portion of one off incorrectly and it still worked fine and is on the wheel to this day without issue.

23 hours ago, Snowball said:

Do you have a picture of the position of your pads? Thanks.

I do not, but I settled on just below the level of the retracted handle and made them even.  The tape has long since fallen off and I never went back to the pads.  I can squeeze the shell with my calfs over steps/bumps and when trying to go fast quick.  Not comfortable per se but doesn't hurt either.  The better mod is putting on the 2.5" tire.

16 hours ago, bryon01 said:

I do not, but I settled on just below the level of the retracted handle and made them even.  The tape has long since fallen off and I never went back to the pads.  I can squeeze the shell with my calfs over steps/bumps and when trying to go fast quick.  Not comfortable per se but doesn't hurt either.  The better mod is putting on the 2.5" tire.

Find a way to make a picture! :P
Concerning the 2.5 tire mod, is it true that Gotway is going to release a 2.5 tire version? I could sell mine and buy that one.
Do you think that the advantages of the bigger tire would be so great? Is there a official thread for that mod? Thanks

I did the mod on mine before gotway showed the V2. I also raised the body to give more wheel shell clearance but not as much as gotway, maybe raised by about 13/14mm.  For the tyre I had to shave the return edge off the transparent covers ( I didn't cut anything off the inner or outer shells) where the tyre passed them. I also shave some tread off the tyre.  It was a little bit of work and machining but worth ever hour input into it.  Rides so much better and I can run the tyre at 35psi so it has some give to make the ride softer.  The shell has done about 400 miles since the mod and is fine.  I did post a thread on it but the photos have gone I think but I do have them somewhere.  I basically made some small alloy blocks that fix to the top of the pedal hangers for the body to sit on, then I had to make 2 new holes per side and threaded two new holes in the hangers to pickup the new position.

On the pads I used 3m tape but I glued the tape to the pad side.  I made some moulded parts to kick the pads out front and back so they didn't follow the curve of the wheel for a little grip for accelerating and braking.

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

Find a way to make a picture! :P
Concerning the 2.5 tire mod, is it true that Gotway is going to release a 2.5 tire version? I could sell mine and buy that one.
Do you think that the advantages of the bigger tire would be so great? Is there a official thread for that mod? Thanks

Yes, just look in this Gotway forum, it isn't far down from the top.  There are 2 threads on it I believe.  It took me about 4 hours to cut the plastic housing to accommodate the larger wheel.  It certainly requires some DIYness and you can definitely cause damage if you aren't handy with that type of work, but I was really happy with the result as a big dude.  I was able to go from 65 psi to ~40PSI in the new tire and that made the MCM5 so much smoother. 

6 hours ago, Delmeekc said:

Here's a little video showing the mods this morning, still not woke up properly so excuse the quality.

Wow!

Thanks for your video.

So the upgrade to 2.5 tire totally worth it, correct?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Wow!

Thanks for your video.

So the upgrade to 2.5 tire totally worth it, correct?

Definitely but I did it slightly different, nobody had raised the body and were cutting lots off the main shells and transparent parts so I tried something different and it worked.  Didn't fancy making a mess of the cases.  Doing the tyre is part of it though, I made a little jig on the pedal hangers, one side in a vice and shaved it off gradually until it was level with the sidewall which gave much more clearance.  I used some wood and a Stanley blade with a heat pad from a plastic welding kit attached to it with lockwire, then I could spin the wheel.  I never removed the hangers from the wheel.  The long part is taking the MCM5 completely apart and putting it back together.  There's gaffa tape holding the cases together in the battery compartment which also stop water getting in from the wheel area, just a heads up.

I also only took the return edge of the transparent parts where the widest part of the tyre is, so you don't need to take it all off.  I then sealed the area with some 1mm strips of neoprene to stop water getting in.  I took it all apart after 100 miles with some wet riding to check everything too.

We ride most days and my son rides my MCM5 and after 400 miles has yet to ground out the cases or pedals so all good. And we have do a little off road and up and down kerbs.

• 4 months later...