Upward angle of MTen3 pedals

Hello all,

I just got an MTen3 as a second EUC for short trips and just to play on.  My first wheel in a KS-18XL.  The pedals on the KS sit almost level, angling up on the outside edge only about 3 degrees.  This MTen3 came with ACM pedals and they sit at about 16.5 degrees. Looks and feels very steep to me.  I'm wondering if the stock MTen3 pedals sit at such a steep angle.  Can anyone verify the stock angle?

Any reason not to take a file to these and drop them down a few degrees?

Thanks 

Chris P.

You are not the first to ask this question. Most people also add that one side is more angled than the other. I think that quality control or compatibility issues are to blame. 
I would personally love the angle and leave it as is however I can certainly see why most would prefer to fix the “problem”. I would suggest that you ride it as is long enough for the pedals to settle a bit. Second, I would file the pedals and not the hangers. It does not take much, so go slow. Also take note that the bottom edge is the important edge. You want to keep the lower edge sharp and square not rounded. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

You are not the first to ask this question. Most people also add that one side is more angled than the other. I think that quality control or compatibility issues are to blame. 
I would personally love the angle and leave it as is however I can certainly see why most would prefer to fix the “problem”. I would suggest that you ride it as is long enough for the pedals to settle a bit. Second, I would file the pedals and not the hangers. It does not take much, so go slow. Also take note that the bottom edge is the important edge. You want to keep the lower edge sharp and square not rounded. 

Mine are a bit uneven but not enough to bother me.  Maybe 1 degree steeper on the left. They just seem too steep overall and are putting uncomfortable pressure on my lower legs.

Definitely planning to file the pedal only.  

• Like 1

As time goes on, all of my pedals seem to feel flatter and flatter, I say certainly give the ACM's a chance, I've even thought about going with a higher angle pedal on mine.  Friggin awesome is it not?:)

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

At first I hated the angled Gotway pedals coming from a KS-18S (The Nikola is particularly steep) but now I can't ever go back to flat pedals.  Tried a friend's 18XL a few weeks ago for fun and I got off and handed it right back to him.  You'll adjust, trust me.  

I have the ACM pedals on my mten. Im tall and it was putting pressure on my knees/hips. I rode it for a while with the steep angle, and it really does help glue you to the wheel. Being a short wheel, the angle keeps you planted and gives a little more clearance. However, after a few miles, the arthritis began to argue with me. Since then, I lowered the angle to nearer that of my ks18L and added some foam under the top pads to make the wheel wider. I ride more comfy and can still somewhat grab the wheel with my legs. Riding 10 miles is now doable on the mten, as it wasnt before. I can definitely see how each has its benefits.

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I have the ACM pedals on my mten. Im tall and it was putting pressure on my knees/hips. I rode it for a while with the steep angle, and it really does help glue you to the wheel. Being a short wheel, the angle keeps you planted and gives a little more clearance. However, after a few miles, the arthritis began to argue with me. Since then, I lowered the angle to nearer that of my ks18L and added some foam under the top pads to make the wheel wider. I ride more comfy and can still somewhat grab the wheel with my legs. Riding 10 miles is now doable on the mten, as it wasnt before. I can definitely see how each has its benefits.

I am also tall and the angle just seems too much.  I took a file to the pedals and dropped them about 4°.  They are still steeper than my 18XL but feel much better.  Next I may try adding a little extra foam up top too.

20200607_181555.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

That looks like a nice angle. :thumbup: 

Now I want one.:w00t2:............  I blame @RetroThruster for letting me ride his. :facepalm:  

My mom would often ask me "how does it feel to want" she stopped asking after the first time I replied, "It feels pretty good, wanting is just the first part of getting."  I say go for it!  I'm digging mine!

Edited by CGPro856
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CGPro856 said:

My mom would often ask me "how does it feel to want" she stopped asking after the first time I replied, "It feels pretty good, wanting is just the first part of getting."  I say go for it!  I'm digging mine!

:thumbup:.............................. I am not sure who would spend more time on this statement! The philosophers or the psychiatrist. :huh:    Deep :eff034a94a:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That looks like a nice angle. :thumbup: 

Now I want one.:w00t2:............  I blame @RetroThruster for letting me ride his. :facepalm:  

Honestly, I thought you'd find it a slight bit of a challenge getting on that little wheel the first time but nooooo, you took off like you'd been riding a Mten for years, I thought to myself, "damn, this guy is good"...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

Honestly, I thought you'd find it a slight bit of a challenge getting on that little wheel the first time but nooooo, you took off like you'd been riding a Mten for years, I thought to myself, "damn, this guy is good"...

Ha ha .   Thanks but it am no Chooch 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...