Angst

Are EUCs prohibited in your area? Did you ever have a bad encounter during a ride?

I was very anxious the first few times I took my wheel out on the streets because they aren't explicitly allowed where I live. This thing is still very new and it is our responsibility to make sure it has a good reputation if we want the laws to adapt and the market to grow.

I ended up crossing paths with dozens of police cars without anything bad ever happening. Just this week a police officer came to talk to me for the first time. He saw I was wearing protection and had no reason to believe I was irresponsible. He seemed very interested, asked a few questions then just wished me a good day. 

I don't know what the law is where you live, but the law will never be adapted if there is no need for it to adapt, IE if nobody rides unicycles in the first place. This was my reasoning when I first decided to get my wheel. We are a small community for now, but we are slowly spreading awareness of how good an alternative PEVs can be compared to cars for a great portion of our transportation needs (let alone how much fun of a hobby lifestyle it can be).

So if your situation is similar to mine, you should not feel like a fugitive, but like a pioneer of electric unicycles. 

Edited by Kryziss
  • Like 3

They are legal here. The problem that I have is that very few people know that they are legal. I still get people chasing down the police to stop me. The police tell me that I can’t ride here and I show them the law that say that my device is not to be discriminated against in any way that a bicycle would not be discriminated against. Are you saying that bicycles can’t ride here? Are you breaking the law by telling me I can’t ride here? ...... Thank you officer. Have a nice day. What is it with these nosy people that just want to tell on people that aren’t causing any trouble? 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I ended up making many trips on my EUC carrying coolers, drinks, ice and food.

I do believe that people will remember such acts and start to favor the EUC. 

This. This is the way to introduce people to EUCs. Through demonstrating it's practical utility, not through "my wheel is better than your esk8" or "it goes 47.9864 miles an hour, watch!" No sane government legislates against assistive technology.

• Like 3

I do the same in my rural neighborhood. People are starting to recognize 'that crazy guy on that neat little wheel'. I make a point to go to the only grocer within 2 hours and ride regularly too. Being in normal street clothes and riding around while smiling, disarms the people and they don't view it as particularly dangerous. My wife tells me that people mention to her that they've seen a guy on a wheel thing, and she says its her husband. I've found that people enjoy curiosity and it reminds them of being a kid. The kids LOVE it as its  just plain neat. I must say tho, whenever Im geared up like a storm trooper, the perception is not near as inviting. People see me geared like crazy and they jump to assume its VERY dangerous and they more easily alienate me. Not to mention, a little bit of recognition and empathy is lost, once a face is hidden behind a helmet.  My biggest concern is how drivers stare as they come head on, and manage to steer towards what they are staring and confused by, winding with them passing in my lane head on. Out here, flip flops and sun glasses are the expected norm on dirtbikes, four wheelers and uncle Jim's contraption made of fence posts. Storm troopers are both 'rich' and intimidating... probably damn yankees that need go home. Us southern rednecks are an odd breed for sure. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go check my video of the local gas station. Covid masks aren't a seller around here!  Man i LOVE the south!:)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2