My My How Times Have Changed!

54 minutes ago, John Walden said:

I was pulled over today by a policeman in Yakima, Washington; who admittedly did not know if EUC's were legal or not.  I told him it was in the class 3 E-bike, and was legal on the road.  He told me he clocked me at 30 MPH in a 30 zone.  He actually pulled me over for an intersection avoidance (going through a parking lot as a shortcut instead of waiting at a traffic light) But he was nice and did not give me a ticket.  It was an information exchange, and I was happy to educate him.  Another Policeman showed up and he just wanted to ask questions and watch me ride :)

Too cool, ,but that 'intersection avoidance' thing will surely get me in trouble too. The law doesnt care about IF you think sitting at an intersection is more dangerous for you or not. I'd imagine the reaction you got, was very common but unreported. Sadly, I wouldnt know or be able to cite WHAT category an euc is, around here. I'd just claim it was a bicycle that lost a wheel.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, travsformation said:

the lack of mechanical, independent brakes always comes up,

Talk about stupidity in general. Because vehicles been constructed this way for eon's, it does not mean, new technology will come in future. I smell a decision anxiety here by a mile, and seems no one is ready to put their name on bottom line. Seems to be in any transportation law there is, regardless country? Engineering might be able to put 'mechanical breaks' on a euc too... if? then where is the debate going? Hard to balance? >:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 11:12 PM, MikieSWE said:

Engineering might be able to put 'mechanical breaks' on a euc too...

I'd love to see a 'safety' mechanism that locks (or even slows down) somebody riding on a single wheel whilst he's not leaning backward. Probably the easiest and the best way to get killed in traffic.... Just reading the news today. Lady got went to hospital while slamming the brakes on her bicycle today because she was worried about a car going her direction. She unfortunately picked the front brakes to slam and went flying over her steering wheel...

Unfortunately in the same news report I heard that the police seized and destroyed two 'illegal' electric scooters, bought on AliExpress that were not compliant to the speed limit for PLEV's in Belgium, to send a clear message. I hope this is not the start of a nationwide crackdown...

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm no longer a criminal!!  :w00t2:

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Pages/Cycling/Cycling-Education-and-Safety/cycling-on-city-streets-and-pathways.aspx

247750B6-9453-4A96-98F4-71E56B7DE550.jpeg.fb2c15a0b200bfca63bc95646b544bba.jpeg

... but not on roads or sidewalks?  :cry2:  How how do I get to the said pathway if not on a road or sidewalk?  :ph34r:  Oh well might have to maintain my part time status!  Criminal on road/sidewalk - law abiding citizen on pathway!

I recall reading this when you posted it and thinking "that seems fair." I mean, who needs to ride the roads and sidewalks? Of course, I ended up with a V8 and would drive to a pathway, ride and then return to the truck. I had not realized what would happen when I changed wheels.

I can say that I am on roads far more than I should be as I have taken to using it for quite a few trips as well as commuting most days now. So far I have seen a number of cops, and they have left me alone. I have always thought that if you look like you belong, you are likely to be left alone. And it has worked (so far) for me this year.

I suppose the fact that I have seen scooters that can't keep up in playground zones on the roads tell me that they may be turning a blind eye. Though seeing things like that makes me think "it is just a matter of time" before a directive to crack down comes. At least I (mostly) keep up with traffic, stick to the sides of the roads, and shoulder check pretty regular... But I also wait in the traffic lane to cross a major street a block from the police station. I just make sure to keep up to the car in front of me to get across (I refuse to cross the street 3 times in crosswalks as they closed the one on the side that I use to get to work.)

• Like 1