Are all pedals interchangeable?

h3X

I broke the V10F pedal on my V8 today! After reattaching the V8 pedals I'm experiencing some horrible sole cramps, so I need to get new (big) pedals asap... So I've been looking around AliExpress trying to find some good pedals, and I thought: I wonder if I could fit every kind of pedal on my wheel? So, does anyone know of a pedal that definitely will not fit on my V8? I'm considering MSX or Nikola pedals.

Uz8YN8R.jpg

Driving home uphill in the rain on one leg was fun...

Inmotion has new design of that pedal available. It should be stronger. But you can also use the Nikola pedals on that. You might need some shims but they should fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h3X said:

When you say shims, do you mean to make the hole in the pillar tighter, or washers to fill the gap between pillar and pedal in the back to front axis?

Washers on the axel. But I haven’t done it myself. I’ve just read here it’s possible and seen it done on the V10.

slightly terrifying.. how the hell did you break the pedal? cant tell from the pic.. and if you get anything but inmotion pedals the angle may be weird and you might have to adjust it, and also they might not stay up.. no idea if they use the same size hardware or not and IM pedals have the rubber part on the inside that id assume is for helping them stay up.. msx pedals suck theyre barely bigger than V8 pedals i wouldnt even look at them... why not just get the same ones?

On 4/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, Rywokast said:

why not just get the same ones?

I think it’s quite obvious: they are dangerous! The op got lucky that the pedals didn’t break while at speed, and cause a crash.

The newer IM V10(F) pedals look identical regarding the side wall thickness, which is just a fraction of what’s in GW pedals. The MSX pedals are nothing to write home about, but the Nikola pedals are much larger, I’d personally go with them.

KS pedals do not fit, in case anyone wondered. I tried them on the MSX but the axle/pin hole is placed too close to the underside platform on the KS pedals.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I think it’s quite obvious: they are dangerous! The op got lucky that the pedals didn’t break while at speed, and cause a crash.

The newer IM V10(F) pedals look identical regarding the side wall thickness, which is just a fraction of what’s in GW pedals. The MSX pedals are nothing to write home about, but the Nikola pedals are much larger, I’d personally go with them.

KS pedals do not fit, in case anyone wondered. I tried them on the MSX but the axle/pin hole is placed too close to the underside platform on the KS pedals.

dangerous? theres probably thousands of v10s out there ive heard of this happening twice and the first time was from jumping off curbs.. i cant imagine how much force you would have to exert on a pedal to break it,, of course anyone can just get unlucky and get a faulty one.. yea KS pedals dont even fit on KS wheels lmao i have to pretty much put my full body weight on it and hammer away like crazy to get the pin in, hate it

22 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

dangerous? theres probably thousands of v10s out there ive heard of this happening twice

I’ve heard of several more, but you’re right, being dangerous would be a very rare occurrence. But a drooping pedal angle because of cracks and deformation is a much more common issue. Point being, since the issue is common, it’s not reasonable to expect that the new ones would last any longer.

I’m certain that none of the pedals that cracked clean off were inspected regularly, and I’m absolutely sure that if they had been, they would’ve found severe cracks or deformations. It takes time for them to get weak enough to crack clean off.

I don’t remember of a single KS or GW pedal having been cracked clean off, or even forming visible cracks or a drooping dihedral angle though.

22 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i have to pretty much put my full body weight on it and hammer away like crazy to get the pin in, hate it

Is that the 16X? The pin on my 16S goes in and out very smoothly. But I of course clean and oil or grease the pin every time before putting it back in.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I’ve heard of several more, but you’re right, being dangerous would be a very rare occurrence. But a drooping pedal angle because of cracks and deformation is a much more common issue. Point being, since the issue is common, it’s not reasonable to expect that the new ones would last any longer.

I’m certain that none of the pedals that cracked clean off were inspected regularly, and I’m absolutely sure that if they had been, they would’ve found severe cracks or deformations. It takes time for them to get weak enough to crack clean off.

I don’t remember of a single KS or GW pedal having been cracked clean off, or even forming visible cracks or a drooping dihedral angle though.

Is that the 16X? The pin on my 16S goes in and out very smoothly. But I of course clean and oil or grease the pin every time before putting it back in.

i thought they fixed that problem with the v10 pedals very early on? hmmm.. i admit ive never once checked pedals for cracks lol, perhaps i should.. no i dont have a 16X, but all 16S' ive had and 18XL the pedal rods were ridiculously hard to get out and back in lol

On 4/27/2020 at 11:19 PM, Rywokast said:

how the hell did you break the pedal?

I've driven these pedals for 1000 km of bumpy roads littered with potholes and never been careful about curbs. The aluminium has broken straight off along a pretty straight line. I heard a crack and felt something the day before when hitting a pothole, so I was worried about the axle breaking, but it seemed fine when I got home. When the pedal broke I was going up a curb at modest speed (luckily).

On 4/27/2020 at 11:19 PM, Rywokast said:

why not just get the same ones?

As mrelwood said, I don't trust the quality 100% anymore. Apart from that, I want to try new pedals and find the perfect pedal for me.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m certain that none of the pedals that cracked clean off were inspected regularly, and I’m absolutely sure that if they had been, they would’ve found severe cracks or deformations.

I have inspected the second pedal now, and there is no sign of a breakage starting to form - I think you must be a metallurgist to be able to identify that...

5iHBBLJ.jpg

5 hours ago, h3X said:

I've driven these pedals for 1000 km of bumpy roads littered with potholes and never been careful about curbs. The aluminium has broken straight off along a pretty straight line. I heard a crack and felt something the day before when hitting a pothole, so I was worried about the axle breaking, but it seemed fine when I got home. When the pedal broke I was going up a curb at modest speed (luckily).

As mrelwood said, I don't trust the quality 100% anymore. Apart from that, I want to try new pedals and find the perfect pedal for me.

I have inspected the second pedal now, and there is no sign of a breakage starting to form - I think you must be a metallurgist to be able to identify that...

5iHBBLJ.jpg

thats a terrifying image... clearly a weak spot in that design :( i can see why you wouldnt want to trust them again

• Like 1

It’s a know design flaw especially if you are 120kg!  I changed my V10f pedals with a set of gotways but I had to file them down to get them to fit and to the right angles. Also the aluminum washers had to be made thinner because there is less gap as well on the axles.   Size isn’t that much smaller.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

Here is my V10f with gotway pedals. 

do they stay up?