The new-next V5 2020

Camenbert

Hello,

I have been looking the EUC way too long and would start this new hobby asap. I was thinking V5F to start but looking to Charles Cai (InMotion CEO) interview on the V11 topic, it seems that an upgraded version of V5F is coming soon (more power, more battery, more speed).

As 90 kg, I guess it is wise to wait the upgraded more powerful version.
Any idea when that should come or what to expect exactly ?

Or does anyone know if there are big discount price out there to clear existing model stock (not worth the waiting) ?

That video is there YouTube , jump to minute 2:10 and later about next V5

• Like 1

At 90 kg you might want to start with something bigger. If you don’t want to spend too much to start this hobby, look for a cheap 16”. Maybe an Inmotion  V8F or Kingsong 16S. Or perhaps you can find a decent used wheel and think about proper purchase when you have learned more and know what you want and how you’ll use it. 

They’ve just updated the V8F and introduced a new wheel. I don’t think there’ll be a new wheel soon. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your inputs, V5F was looking good if refresh with a little more peps, as I could give it later to my son (he is 5, a bit early) when I'm ready for something more serious.

I found a great deal on MCM5 small battery instead at $496 (but 280Wh&1500W, not sure it's kid's proof !), here

Edited by Camenbert
adding battery capacity to the price

34 minutes ago, Camenbert said:

I found a great deal on MCM5 small battery instead at $496 (but 1500W, not sure it's kid's proof !), here

That battery would give you 8-9 km of range. You would consume about 20 Wh /km. I would not buy that. The wheel itself is excellent and could be recommended for you. But only with a decent battery. Even the V5f would be a better choice. 
I bought a V8 last summer for 750 € from AliExpress, shipped to Europe. If you want to practice with a cheaper model, that could work and would be suitable and safe for your kid also.

At that price is the newer 280Wh, not 170, and I am not afraid to create/add my own battery once necessary.
With the Covid isolation/lock down, 15 km is more than enough to learn in the garden ^_^

Anyway that was the budget.

Marty Backe said "don't think the MCM5 is for beginners - it's an advanced wheel" worry me a bit, time will tell.

1 hour ago, Camenbert said:

Marty Backe said "don't think the MCM5 is for beginners - it's an advanced wheel" worry me a bit, time will tell.

MCM5 is a 14” wheel. Smaller diameter wheels can be more difficult to learn on. The smaller size means that every small movement on your part translates to a command in action on the wheels part. Also the MCM5 is zippy and Not known for robust shells. 
I would simply repeat @UniVehje’s advice. I personally don’t like anything smaller than an 18” wheel unless I am doing stage tricks. ... Not my thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

The MCM5 84V can be had with an 800Wh battery.

I almost bought that. I went with a tesla instead as the weight is similar to an MCM5 (17 vs 19kg) and both support 2.5in tires (CST C1488). 

MCM5 pros are rugged shell, good build quality, more modern, smaller, lighter, pickup fast cutout switch.

Tesla pros are more power at a small weight penalty. Larger tire. Up to 1480Wh battery option, famously stable high speed cruiser, higher pedals.