New to EUC, which one to buy?

Andy_T

Hello all,

I am not only new to the forum, I am also new to EUCing in general.

I got interested in it when I saw a passenger in the Shanghai Metro carry one with him, step on it and wheel off some weeks ago. I was totally impressed and am considering to get one for myself.

What will I use it for? To be honest, I don't know right now. Currently I am commuting to work every day on my motorbike, which is suitable from its maximum speed and its robustness for the roads in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where I live right now. The lack of even sidewalks makes it a bit of a challenge to use a EUC very much here, at least not for commuting to the area where my office is (industrial area). Still, it might get some recreational use for me and my kids (12&11) on the weekend, in parks. Nevertheless, I will go back to Germany in 8 months, and it seems that electric unicycles might be of more use there (until they are heavily reglemented by law, of course). I am also quite keen on environmentally friendly commuting, and electric motorbikes are not yet where I would like to have them... (at least not from the affordability point of view)

As I regularly travel to Shanghai and IPS seems to be a company with good products, I am looking at picking up one of their unicycles there (with the help of my local colleagues hopefully). So ... which model would be suggested? From the IPS website, it seems that the 121, 131, 132, 151 and 181/191 models might be available there, but I have not yet checked prices. Which one would be a good one to buy?

On one hand, I do not want to spend too much on such a fun vehicle, on the other hand I also don't want to buy some crappy unusable piece that will only collect dust in the future...

Best regards,

Andy

OK, have received quotes for price shipped to Shanghai directly from the IPS company.

IPS131 $580.00
IPS151 $800.00
IPS181 $580.00
IPS191 $630.00

Considering that the 131 and 181 are the same price (and definitely at the upper end of my price range, for a "fun" purchase), which of these two would be better?
Or are 191 and 151 so much better that it would be worth the difference?

I think buying directly from the company would be on the safe side, rather than searching for the cheapest offer on Chinese websites (which is what my colleagues normally do, but typically they do not buy items in that price range)

First and foremost, according to IATA regulations for the moment, you are NOT allowed to bring any EUC with batteries above 160 Wh.

You had better considerate it before buying.

2 minutes ago, z3n said:

First and foremost, according to IATA regulations for the moment, you are NOT allowed to bring any EUC with batteries above 160 Wh.

This is true if you're flying it. However, if you pay for shipping (typically around $130) you'll be fine.

It seems you've selected a huge range of unicycles without really researching the company or even EUCs in general. The products you selected are different, not necessarily better than another.

You should be asking questions like, how big of a battery do you want (how far is your commute)? Does your commute have a lot of hills, and should you look into a higher wattage motor? If you're on rougher terrain you're going to want a bigger tire, so what size tire do you want? Etc.

Beyond that, talking specifically about your list, I wouldn't get the 131 because it's outdated. 

The 151 has a really big battery, so that's what you're paying for in that.

The 181 and 191 are both in the "Lhotz" line, which has proven to be a solid choice. The 191 has a 20% bigger battery or so.

If I may add, the IPS 141, 142, and 143, also known as the IPS Zero series, is brand new, much lighter and would be easier to carry around and use day-to-day. Not to mention it's beautiful.

Just now, Andy_T said:

OK, just noticed that I will not be able to bring any of these on the plane to bring it back, due to the 160 wh limitation on batteries. :(

Is the IPS Zero 130 any good?

Best regards,

Andy

The airport allow you to bring a battery which is smaller than 160wh, but I know that for Hongkong Airport, they are not so strict, if you tell the checking member that is only 132wh, they will let you pass. But in Shenzhen Airport, that is not so easy. 132wh is too small, can only go about 10kms, it is too short ways. Nowadays, most people want the battery at least 340wh.

I have a ebay shop about wheels, you may check it for referenced. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252166209992?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thank you all for the feedback!!!

It's a pity there seem to be no unicycles available that could take replaceable Li-Po batteries like those used in RC cars.

I might have to start looking at the models available in Malaysia (or get an IPS Zero with 260 wh battery and manufacture a "130 wh battery" sticker to stick on it myself :ph34r:)

I remember that the last time I flew from Shanghai airport, the security guard demanded to see my powerbank close-up and checked the sticker to make sure the WH rating was below the permissible limit...

Best regards,

Andy

35 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

OK, just noticed that I will not be able to bring any of these on the plane to bring it back, due to the 160 wh limitation on batteries. :(

Is the IPS Zero 130 any good?

Best regards,

Andy

You can refer to the posts of @Paul Panait who owns one. He is happy with his 130wh IPS Zero . :D

5 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

Haha, not the best quote to inspire a potential newbie :lol:

Haha! He pushed the machine to its limits. :P It's not the machine's fault. I quoted his last sentence where he says:

"However I'm super happy for it and the flexibility I have with it through the airport/ any airport is amazing."

Yes, I am reading his posts now.

The more I read, the more I get convinced that there will be a lot of learning experiences with this hobby....

Also, the "Zero" starts to look more attractive. Was more intested in the other models as they look more "rugged", but it is growing on me....

3 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

The more I read, the more I get convinced that there will be a lot of learning experiences with this hobby....

Also, the "Zero" starts to look more attractive. Was more intested in the other models as they look more "rugged", but it is growing on me....

My Zero 340wh is now on the way. :wub:

6 hours ago, Andy_T said:

Sorry about earlier, I was very tired and didn't see "Zero" between IPS and 130! Yes, the Zero 130Wh is a good choice, but generally you should get as big a battery as you can afford; that is, if you know you want one.

I have the 260Wh Zero (IPS 142) and I was in the same situation. I thought I would want a more 'rugged' look, more exposed tire, etc. However I've taken my Zero off a couple curbs, on grass, and on dirt paths and it's been fine. On anything worse you'd want to get off and walk. 

45 minutes ago, Viktiga said:

May I ask where you bought it and how much with shipping where? The weight is perfect on this one. The ninebot feels like a cag of beer in comparission.:P

I bought it from iamips. You can send an email inquiry to: 孟闰瑞 <runrui.meng@iamips.com>. 

She accepts paypal so she will charge a bit more for paypal fees. I got it for 690$ including shipping. I ordered on the 6th and my package is now at our local customs for clearing.

Tony charges the 340wh for USD 530.00 + 140.00 shipping. Payment by bank transfer.

34 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

ordered on the 6th and my package is now at our local customs for clearing.

Hey once you recieve it can you let me know all the details im trying to populate this page. It will help new people out see where are good places to buy from and how long the shipping takes from each. Also the hidden shipping charge of 130 bucks that i didnt expect when i got mine. (i'm spoiled with amazon prime >.<)

Just now, spikes2020 said:

Hey once you recieve it can you let me know all the details im trying to populate this page. It will help new people out see where are good places to buy from and how long the shipping takes from each. Also the hidden shipping charge of 130 bucks that i didnt expect when i got mine. (i'm spoiled with amazon prime >.<)

I will let you know. If it clears customs, I might receive it around Sunday or Monday since Friday and Saturday is the weekend break here at our place. With regards to the hidden charge, that is the average rate to send the unit by express courier from China.

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

I bought it from iamips. You can send an email inquiry to: 孟闰瑞 <runrui.meng@iamips.com>. 

She accepts paypal so she will charge a bit more for paypal fees. I got it for 690$ including shipping. I ordered on the 6th and my package is now at our local customs for clearing.

Tony charges the 340wh for USD 530.00 + 140.00 shipping. Payment by bank transfer.

Thanks, winter is coming and want to see what ninebot will do with my dead C+. It's either this, KS 14/16 or Mcm 4. But I'm not in a hurry as I can't/won't ride anyway. 

BTW what does the 340 actually weigh?

4 minutes ago, Viktiga said:

Thanks, winter is coming and want to see what ninebot will do with my dead C+. It's either this, KS 14/16 or Mcm 4. But I'm not in a hurry as I can't/won't ride anyway. 

I'm lucky we don't have winter here. For us winter season means more fun outdoors. :D

50 minutes ago, Viktiga said:

BTW what does the 340 actually weigh?

IPS ZERO 340Wh - weight is 10.5kg

On 12/11/2015, 10:28:31, Andy_T said:

Hi

I had my Fair share of face plants :) only 2 but funny :)

I'm happy and love the 130Wh model but it's not powerful enough. I can't take a bigger model since I don't want to risk to have it stuck in any airport ( not the airline is the problem but the security scanners which aparently can detect the size of the baterries.) 

Regarding passing the airport with it, it has no sticker on it so it's your word against theirs. 

What happens are the following aspects:

-you can accelerate with moderation only and if you sprint the wheel can't keep up. For example my second face plant

https://youtu.be/YDeiKpFy9wI

- the battery depleter after 5km at 25kph average, 7km at speed of 18kph average and up to 10km if only 12-14kph average. However if the wheel is left off for 10 min you still find some juice left up to 40%sometimes. 

- a comfortable cruising speed is around 18-25kph since it becames wobbly and feels unstable at high speeds 

Archived