New to EUC, which one to buy?

Andy_T

On 11/12/2015, 10:16:46, SlowMo said:

Tony charges the 340wh for USD 530.00 + 140.00 shipping. Payment by bank transfer.

Tony only charged me $130 for shipping. Interesting...

The thing that got me was the wire transfer fee from the bank. I ended up paying an additional $45 just to wire the money over, so the cost breakdown was $430 for the 260Wh Zero plus $130 for shipping, plus $45 wire transfer fee = $605.

5 hours ago, Paul Panait said:

I'm happy and love the 130Wh model but it's not powerful enough. I can't take a bigger model since I don't want to risk to have it stuck in any airport ( not the airline is the problem but the security scanners which aparently can detect the size of the baterries.) 

Regarding passing the airport with it, it has no sticker on it so it's your word against theirs. 

What's interesting with the Zero is that they registered it as having NiMH batteries, which have no limit on transport on airplanes! I was going to make a new thread about airline transport and assembling the proper documentation to get you through. I'm taking a flight in the next couple weeks so I was going to try it out - theoretically, I have all the proper paperwork, but I need to try it for sure. It's only a domestic US flight, but the same stuff should apply for international flights. That's interesting that they can find out the capacity of the batteries through their scanners, but can they find the battery chemistry/technology too? Curious...

18 minutes ago, MrBump said:

18-25 on that?  Nasty faceplant considering it was low speed and didn't look like you did anything wrong.

Yup, 18-25kph on it and still feel comfy.

The face plant I think it happend because I have over leaned, the terrain was a bit uphill and then I meant to accelerate faster than the Wheel could keep up. battery was about 40-50% . My first face plant was when I ws pushing the limits and it made the same grinding noise before that. Since the battery is small the acceleration MUST be smooth, That's the limit of this model with this battery size.

On the other hand let's look at the advantages:

• is light 9.42 kg
  • is fast, up to 30 kph : you won't use all of it but the surface of the terrain it really matters if is nice and smooth (you will not even feel it, but feel the tilt back and maybe hear the beep) or is crap and cubic stone (hope you don't have any fillings in your teeth 'couse you'll lose them)
  • it charges within 1h, which for me is great since I move a lot during the day for distances between 3-5 km but at each destination point I spend at least one h
  • it looks damn good :P 
  • it has 2 riding modes : sport (smooth terrain and higher speed) and comfort to which you will feel the difference on the cubic stone when you will count the fillings (above mentioned) in your mouth :) 
  • the pedals are damn comfortable and the accelerating it gentle and you don't have to lean like a maniac as you do on a KS
  •  i have depleted the battery many times and exploit the EUC above and beyond but it never cut off. Is tilting so much that your heels will scratch the pavement, if you can still stand on it, of course (it takes a lot of dedication, I tell you :P )
  • brake lights, blinks off  (atmosphere option, when standing the lights show the battery level) and front lamp for night time: not great but at low speeds it works

So per all, as any other model it has it's own limitations, but is important to know them at the beggining :)

Definitely know your limits. Here's a few examples just from my ride tonight: once was over a bump in the sidewalk which caught me off balance, and the other two were me overpowering it, both uphill. 

Quick tips: If you ride cautiously (which I didn't do) then you can feel when it's struggling to keep you upright, and the pedals don't push back as much. Also, I always leave the app connected when I'm pushing the limits, so I know what the battery level is and if it's dropped to a point where I might overpower it; and if I'm going up a big hill I use it to help keep my speed constant and the motor power under 50%. 

Just my two cents.

On 11/12/2015, 10:52:57, spikes2020 said:

Hey once you recieve it can you let me know all the details im trying to populate this page. It will help new people out see where are good places to buy from and how long the shipping takes from each. Also the hidden shipping charge of 130 bucks that i didnt expect when i got mine. (i'm spoiled with amazon prime >.<)

Look at the stash that I found at our door step. :D

2zqx475.jpg

11 hours ago, MrBump said:

Definitely agree that it's important to have a general idea of the limits right away.  I have a 132Wh model that tops out at about 14kmh.  With that battery I def wouldn't want to hit a bump at 20.

If you hit any bump at 20kph you'll fly like superman :) on any wheel. 

Caution of the rider is always important. 

Fex: in Copenhagen the city is designed for bicycles. You have fresh and clean and wide lanes throughout the city. Where was not possible to have a line the bikes will always have priority before a car. 

In the winter the first thing cleaned( and salt on the street so you don't slide) are the bike lanes and the streets for cars and then only the sidewalks. 

But in stockholm I didn't feel comfy to accelerate  above 16kph since there are a lot of pot holes and the streets not even. 

13 hours ago, csmyers said:

Tony only charged me $130 for shipping. Interesting...

The thing that got me was the wire transfer fee from the bank. I ended up paying an additional $45 just to wire the money over, so the cost breakdown was $430 for the 260Wh Zero plus $130 for shipping, plus $45 wire transfer fee = $605.

What's interesting with the Zero is that they registered it as having NiMH batteries, which have no limit on transport on airplanes! I was going to make a new thread about airline transport and assembling the proper documentation to get you through. I'm taking a flight in the next couple weeks so I was going to try it out - theoretically, I have all the proper paperwork, but I need to try it for sure. It's only a domestic US flight, but the same stuff should apply for international flights. That's interesting that they can find out the capacity of the batteries through their scanners, but can they find the battery chemistry/technology too? Curious...

I have passed safely 2 airports: Copenhagen and stockholm. After next week I'll fly every week 2 times around all nordic countries denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. 

Just FYI the airline company is your reference point if you can take it on bord ot not, but at the end they can't have the final say since you can just put it on the ground and say " that thing is not coming with me" at check in counter. 

But the security team in the airport will have the final say ( the person at the scanner because they are certified and trained). When your EUC goes through the scanner they will count the cells and do the math if is fine or not -or at least try. 

We are safe to pass because the batteries are small cells and all connected in a safe in closure. So at the end if anything would go wrong ( God forbid) the person at the scanner will have the final responsability. But you'll have yours as well- I think. Hope to never find out. 

So bottom line more cells you have, smaller chances to pass through. 

I need to find how you do the math to get the wh ( it is on this forum) and what would be the max capacity that such a cell  ould have. In case anybody at security implies anything. Specially for the Ips Zero model since has no sticker with the battery specs. 

Also good to find out regulations in US since they are more strict than others. 

6 hours ago, Viktiga said:

Wow that was fast! Review later? :wub:

Ok now, first impressions:

• It's not heavy weighing only 10.7 kgs;
  • The paintwork is very glossy which might get lots of scratches specially the pedals;
  • The led lights are so bright and big. Ninebot looks way better but my son says otherwise;
  • There's no color selector for the led lights unlike the Ninebot;
  • It's got a very slim form factor and has the same v shape pedals as the Ninebot;
  • Since its not heavy, it feels like a toy when you ride it;
  • it is very responsive with regards to acceleration and slowing down and;
  • It's round. :P

Update: The led lights seem to be very effective and pretty at night which illuminates your front, back and sides while riding unlike the Ninebot which illuminates only the sides. :)

4 hours ago, Paul Panait said:

If you hit any bump at 20kph you'll fly like superman :) on any wheel. 

I've hit sudden bumps at and above 25km/h, didn't fly, but it's not nice either ;)  On couple of occasions they've caused a pretty strong forward lean (and more acceleration), which takes quite a balancing act to stay up. Never fallen on such though (luckily). Probably if the Firewheel wasn't shunted, I'd have faceplanted on most of those occasions, as the wheel could have easily cut-out.

1 hour ago, Viktiga said:

Can you turn off the leds completely?

There's a light mode called "Atmosphere" that turns off the lights while moving, except in two cases:

1: When you're braking, the red LEDs illuminate behind you (safety feature, very useful IMO)

2: When you're stopped, the lights will indicate your battery level.

3 hours ago, esaj said:

I've hit sudden bumps at and above 25km/h, didn't fly, but it's not nice either ;)  On couple of occasions they've caused a pretty strong forward lean (and more acceleration), which takes quite a balancing act to stay up. Never fallen on such though (luckily). Probably if the Firewheel wasn't shunted, I'd have faceplanted on most of those occasions, as the wheel could have easily cut-out.

Exactly - some wheels will manage it (depending on the bump), but I think you'd be toast going at 20 on a 130Wh model. ;)

21 hours ago, csmyers said:

What's interesting with the Zero is that they registered it as having NiMH batteries, which have no limit on transport on airplanes! 

If this is true... Cross fingers 

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎20‎:‎48‎:‎00, Paul Panait said:

The bumps have nothing to do in my opinion with the battery capacity but with the experience of the rider. 

My 2c opinion 

2c is exactly what it's worth if you haven't shunted the BMS. :p

On 11/14/2015, 7:56:33, Paul Panait said:

But the security team in the airport will have the final say ( the person at the scanner because they are certified and trained). When your EUC goes through the scanner they will count the cells and do the math if is fine or not -or at least try. 

Indeed, that makes a lot of sense. Hmm, there goes my plan to buy the 340 WH version and put a fake "130 WH" sticker on it...

Judging from pictures of IPS dismantling / replacement batteries it seems many EUC's are using a number of standard 18650 batteries that are also used, e.g. in laptops, or electronic cigarettes. (8 cells on 130 WH version, 16 cells on 260 WH version, higher capacity cells or more cells on 340 WH)

Best regards,

Andy

Another question ... my own "Net Weight" is about 100 kg, add to that 5 kg for clothing and maybe 10 kg for my laptop bag ... still a little below the 120 KG max weight, but is that still considered safe and manageable?

Or should I be looking for a "heavy duty" model?

Best regards,

Andy

30 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

Another question ... my own "Net Weight" is about 100 kg, add to that 5 kg for clothing and maybe 10 kg for my laptop bag ... still a little below the 120 KG max weight, but is that still considered safe and manageable?

Or should I be looking for a "heavy duty" model?

Best regards,

Andy

The cheap generics usually have only 350W motor and a single battery pack with 130Wh capacity, which will be really struggling under that weight (although they say 120kg max). You could try, but probably you can overpower it very easily and won't get much range from a small battery. I'd look for more powerful (at least 500W) wheel with at least two battery packs (260Wh or more).

Archived