What affects wheel maneuverability the most?

trya

Hello, experts!

Please help to select the new wheel based on your experience - I'm trying to make a decision based on 2 factors: maneuverability (wheel size) and weight (battery size).

My riding style is mostly cruising for fun, learning tricks, acquiring as much control of a wheel as possible (I'm not a speed freak - I'm the "control" freak).

I learned on Airwheel X8 and also tried a few other wheels: Solowheel Classic, Ninebot One E+, Gotway MSuper. Based on this selection, my impression was that lighter wheels (X8 and Solo) were easier to control, they have better response, more maneuverability. However, Ninebot was also surprisingly agile, even though it was 3 kg heavier. MSuper is the beast - it is great for travel, but is a lot more difficult to control when trying various tricks and riding exercises.

I never tried 14-inch wheel, and I believe that the 14 inch wheels are probably more agile and maneuverable...

I have a few questions to those who rode different wheels:

• is this correct that 14-inch wheel will give a rider a lot more control than 16 inch?
  • how strong is the effect of weight? if you ride the same wheel with a different battery (say, 320wh and 640wh) - how the extra weight affects the maneuverability and control?
  • how does wheel design affect the ability to control? is there, for example, effect of "classic design" (Airwheel) vs. round design (Ninebot)?
  • are there other factors affecting the maneuverability?

I understand the the "responsiveness" (soft/hard pedals) also affects the ability to control, but this riding mode can be changed via apps in almost all contemporary wheels - so perhaps this is not much of an issue when making a selection.

For maximum manoeuvrability the now discontinued Gotway M10 takes the prize. It does need additional padding though.

Weight is not really noticable whilst riding but shape makes a lot of difference to comfort and really affects you whilst riding one legged.

Personally I find the KingSong shape very comfortable as it has a slight taper towards the top and comes a reasonable height up your leg.

2 hours ago, trya said:

thanks, @Gimlet! So I shouldn't really feel the difference in control when riding  King Song 14" 800W 680Wh  and  King Song 14" 500W 170Wh ?

During normal riding there is no different between kingsong 14 500 and 800. You couldnt tell which is which. Unless you are going uphill  or in extreme situations requiring maximum acceleration 

3 hours ago, trya said:

• is this correct that 14-inch wheel will give a rider a lot more control than 16 inch?
  • how strong is the effect of weight? if you ride the same wheel with a different battery (say, 320wh and 640wh) - how the extra weight affects the maneuverability and control?
  • how does wheel design affect the ability to control? is there, for example, effect of "classic design" (Airwheel) vs. round design (Ninebot)?
  • are there other factors affecting the maneuverability?

Yes 14 inch is more control

i believe the weight has an effect, but your leg mucles will eventually adjust to control whatever weight you are riding

id think that the closer the center of mass of the wheel is to the center line ( not too much forward or backward) and the lower it is , in general will give you more control. Also what affects it how far your feet can be placed from the center of mass, but the ease of control due to that will probably depend on your muscles - the stronger the muscles, the closer to the center your feet will want to be

1. Yes, 14-inch wheel is more controllable than 16. However, most 14s are shorter, making it difficult to ride one-foot related skills.
2. Weight does affect the control a lot especially when doing 180 degree twist or jump up curb.
3. Wheel design also affects the control. Take Gotway mcm2 for example, there are at least three factors that make the control difficult: too wide, too short, pedal not very good(too flat, too short and slippery)
4. There are other factors that affect the ability to control such as the power and the torques. In some skills, you need to accelerate/break fast or jump down from height.

One-foot related skills are considered as more fun and admirable. I can do some such as small circle and “pendulum” even 180 degree twist but only on 16-inch and 18-inch.

I can do pendulum(or someone called it idling) on Rockwheel 16 at very fast rate, on mcm2 at fast rate because their pedals are very hard and strong. On IPS 122, the pedal is soft(and not app adjustable), I can only do the same with slower rate. On Solowheel extreme, I can only do it at much slower rate because it's extreme soft pedal,

soft-ped.jpg

11 hours ago, zlymex said:

1. Yes, 14-inch wheel is more controllable than 16. However, most 14s are shorter, making it difficult to ride one-foot related skills

hm.. kind of controversial, in my experience one-foot riding skills are critical for control. I'm also not sure what you mean by "14s are shorter" - I never rode 14", but comparing 16" and 18" - I didn't feel that one is "shorter" than another... yes, the pedal length is different - but you obviously meant something else.

so far, based on the answers, I tend to lean either to "KingSong 500W 340wh (or 520wh)" (trade-off between power and weight) or wait for KS16

2 hours ago, trya said:

hm.. kind of controversial, in my experience one-foot riding skills are critical for control. I'm also not sure what you mean by "14s are shorter" - I never rode 14", but comparing 16" and 18" - I didn't feel that one is "shorter" than another... yes, the pedal length is different - but you obviously meant something else.

so far, based on the answers, I tend to lean either to "KingSong 500W 340wh (or 520wh)" (trade-off between power and weight) or wait for KS16

One foot riding is good for control of your other foot position - you can easily adjust it while riding on the other foot but it doesnt give you a better control of the wheel. Just like because one may be more comfortable riding in the back seat of a luxury car as opposed to riding a bike, this doesnt give one more control of the car from the back seat as one would have over a bicycle.

when he said shorter, he meant 16 incher is taller than the 14 inch...because 16 is > than 14

i wouldnt pick the wheel you are inclined to get. Get more power and more battery - you will adjust to the weight but not to lack of battery. Keep in mind your actual range will be half of the advertized range from the get go, and in the winder times half of that...14.5 kg vs 12 should not be the deal breaker. unless budget is a concern.

also it sounded like you want manouverability, so maybe 16 is not your size. But it will be manouverable enough for normal riding.

For me, I think 14 inch wheels will be more easier to be controlled than the 16 inch wheels. I am a 46kgs girls, I dont have enough power on my leg to control a bigger wheels, especially when suddenly breaking. It is hard to me to control it well. But for 14 inch wheels, I can ride it freely at any small bench, to go up it or to jump down it. But the shortage for the 14inch wheel is that the pedal is too small, some men even can not stand on it well, so it is hard to say to control it well. Men has more power on legs, and the bigger feet will more suitable to have a bigger wheels with bigger padels to stand well on it. But what is true is that 16 inch wheels will have a more comfortable riding felling. And some new learners think the 16inch is more easier to learn than the 14 inch wheels. But all of this depends on who ride it, kid or aldult, men or women, how big the riders's feet, how fat the legs of the riders...

That is my opinion. Thanks!

3 hours ago, trya said:

Sorry about my English. By "shorter" I meant the height from pedal to the side of the EUC that contact the leg(when riding one-footed). My 14 inch mcm2 is shorter than my 16 inch and than my 18 inch, making one foot-ride rather painful to the leg. However, if you can bear the pain, it's more controllable than 16s and 18s.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

One foot riding is good for control of your other foot position - you can easily adjust it while riding on the other foot but it doesnt give you a better control of the wheel.

well, my personal experience is different: ability to control with one foot makes it possible (and easy) to adjust quickly to different scenarios of balance shift when playing with the wheel, learning various moves, etc. it is kind of when each leg knows independently what to do to regain balance, to accelerate or to break, to lean or to straighten, etc... This is just my own experience - I'm relatively new, have only about 2 months of practice.

Just now, trya said:

well, my personal experience is different: ability to control with one foot makes it possible (and easy) to adjust quickly to different scenarios of balance shift when playing with the wheel, learning various moves, etc. it is kind of when each leg knows independently what to do to regain balance, to accelerate or to break, to lean or to straighten, etc... This is just my own experience - I'm relatively new, have only about 2 months of practice.

I think you are confusing controling with one foot and riding with one foot. Yes being able to control with one foot means having a lot of control over the wheel. But i believe what was originally said is that bigger wheels are more comfortable to " ride" with one foot ( meaning ride for a comparatively short time, usually in a Straight line or a circle , as In " standing comfortably on the moving wheel without falling or having to step off"). One foot riding is more about just maintaining your balance standing on one foot and bigger wheels provide much more stability in that sense.

@Cloud - I agree. However riding with one foot - is exactly the necessary exercise to learn the one foot control :) I am quite comfortable riding with one foot (both forward and backward) on X8, it is slightly less comfortable on MSuper (maybe just because I'm used to X8, maybe because of its weight and softer pedals). Solowheel experience was almost the same as on X8 (except of the too soft pedals). However I had quite hard time on the Ninebot - the contact with the leg was at some different spot (compared to the other 3 models) - and as a result it was extremely painful. I couldn't do anything until I put some protective gear on my shin, but once I had this to ease the pain - one foot riding was as good on Ninebot as on the other  wheels. I guess, with 14" I'd have something similar, because the contact with the shin comes at some lower level (not the one I developed the muscles for already). Confirm?

I think your height and your weight factor into your control over a EU.  Riding my 16" wheel I find it pretty nimble based on my weight / height.  I'm 5'10" and weigh around 190lbs.  Others who have ridden my EU that are of a smaller stature have commentated about how its difficult to control.  Same goes for me when I ride 14" wheel  I find it too unsteady and with the smallest movement it turns too much too quickly and I feel I don't have full control over it.  Turning at speed I always get the feeling I'm about to fall off  because 14" wheels don't support my size as much.  Maybe with more time I will get used to the size.  Whereas the 16" wheel is a more natural ride for me and seems to hold me up where I need it to.

Its good that you are in a situation where you can test out other people's EUs.  I would suggest that you find the EU that feels natural to you and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

your mass, wheel size, tire width, tire pressure, the gyro programming, speed, your technique (lean in, pressuring the pedal F/A, or force it with the lower legs), and friction of the underground

some things you can change easily (tire pressure) others (your weight) will be more difficult ;)

Archived