For those of us 70 and older - What's possible?

PennBruce

I think it helps to be lean and practice good balance by playing around on the euc at low speeds. It helps train your reaction times for when you need to jump off. 

If you want to confidently and effortlessly jump curbs maybe try to make yourself some of those "kuji" pads or whatever they are called. I haven't yet but I'm sure I will soon. They are a great safety feature I think because to stay on the machine you need to relax your legs, which you can do much better when you don't need to pinch the euc as much.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:37 AM, pico said:

.....To illustrate: jumping curbs...   Start with a one inch curb. :DCheers!.....

A good suggestion.  I just ride up low surface changes but as you suggested these are perfect for learning to jump.

Thanks,

Bruce

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PennBruce said:

One leg riding is finally happening.  However, still a long way to go.

Very nice!

• Like 1

This is the second time in two years that I have been reminded that you are "only as old as you let yourself be." Two years ago I picked up a stand on jet ski in Daytona. There was an 85 year old on the water who rode daily. He may not have been doing aerial tricks- but to be on one of those machines at that age was impressive.

I have to say that most people I know approaching 80 are not getting on anything motorized if it does not have four wheels and a seat. One legged riding and being concerned about the range of a wheel is impressive.

• Like 2

Finally did the River Mountains Loop trail today.  Also, met my first in the wild fellow eWheeler.  I was pulling into a parking area after 26 miles to cool my feet and to take a lunch break and he was also.  He was out practicing riding seated.

We commandeered a guy and his daughter on an escooter to take our picture.  I'll post it when I get it.

Here's a Relive video of the Loop Trail route:

https://youtu.be/gdyoHY9OvGM

Bruce

River Mountains Loop Data 042320.jpg

River Mountains Loop 042320.jpg

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 3

35 miles, thats a long ass ride, especially at those speeds. Mad props bro, you've got better health than I do and you're 30 years older. You arent an inspiration as much as you are embarrassing me by comparison.

Progress!  Riding on my 18XL seat.

I hadn't been making much progress trying to ride seated until I met Raoul on the River Mountain Loop trail.  He was out practicing riding seated,  When we were talking he mentioned that he starts off on his wheel seated.  It made sense.  Especially as the only time that I made it down to seat, I promptly fell off the back.

I spent the next couple of days learning how to ride while seated.  One session I found out just how fast I could stand up from the seat when I was out of control and headed for a curb.

Here's a short video. 

I find that in order to be in the correct position for seated riding, I have to use the front of the seat as I drop down to pull myself forward.  This gets my heels up off of the pedals.

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce
Changed the video
  • Like 1

I took the 18XL and the seat to the Wetlands (only in Nevada would this be called the Wetlands).

I was curious to see if I could go up hill seated.   It takes a lot of toe pressure but yes I could.  

On the return leg, I was trying to pass a bicyclist while seated. He was playing his music so loudly that he couldn't hear me calling out that I was on his left. He was quite surprised to find me on his left side.  So surprised that he veered towards me.  My mistake was looking at him instead of concentrating on where I was headed.  I lost control of the wheel.

My response to losing control of the wheel while seated is to stand up.  It didn't work.  I went off the back of the wheel at about 20mph (32kph) and ended up on the pavement on my back.  Road rash on my right buttock and a nasty scrape/bruise on my right elbow.   Did the bicyclist stop to enquire as to my well being? No.

Ah well, at least now my tetanus shot is up to date.

My Bohn armored shirt came through with no damage.  

Bruce

Wetlands Hill.jpg

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 1

@PennBruce, any planned adjustments to gear based on this incident?

I road cycle quite a bit, and usually I find cyclists are very helpful to each other. I've been asked many times, while stopped on the side of the road, if I was OK or needed anything. I've done the same in return. But, I've also gotten some pretty nasty looks and even some bad comments from cyclists while I was on my wheel. There seems to be a mixture of anger and contempt in the attitudes I've seen, that I find hard to parse. It seems to involve concepts like "laziness" and "lack of bicycle purity" somehow. Anyway, that cyclist not stopping to check on you lacked basic decency. Even if you think someone's being a dork, or stupid, or inconsiderate, or whatever, if they fall and possibly get hurt right next to you, you check to see if they're OK, and help if necessary.

4 hours ago, svenomous said:

@PennBruce, any planned adjustments to gear based on this incident?

I think my gear is adequate.  No damage to my elbow other then the bruise, head or back.  

I do need to adjust my risk taking.   Perhaps I should activate the horn button on my Pebble watch

As for the bicyclist, I think he was so lost in his music that it didn't occur to him that the weird little wheel was no longer next to him.  Either that or he thought he was hallucinating in the desert heat.

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 1

Wow, so glad no major injury. I worry about falling back more than forwards as years of youth tells me my reaction to forwards and what that will break. Amazing you didnt hurt your tailbone or hips? DOes the shirt include back armor? My jacket ( i never wear) has back/elbow armor and pants ( i never wear) have hips/knees. Just the fact I even own this shit, says i worry a lot. Whats the back of the helmet look like? Did you bounce it off the pavement? Did you slide and the shirt stayed down? It was only 20mph, so maybe not much slide at all?  Sorry for all the questions, but nobody knows better than the man who JUST fell and remembers it! I guess giving people the widest berth possible when passing is always a good idea. Seems nowadays, EVERYONE is preoccupied with failing to multitask. Even when paying attention, I'd imagine a silent wheel passing from behind, can be quite a shock. I have no doubt the cyclist KNEW you fell. There one second and he saw you to veer, but didnt bother to merely glance back for another look? Im not buyin' it. That lost in music, maybe he can't do both and should stop riding or turn it off.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Whats the back of the helmet look like? Did you bounce it off the pavement? Did you slide and the shirt stayed down? It was only 20mph, so maybe not much slide at all?

I took a look at my gear/clothing.  Only my backpack shows contact with pavement.  The hydration bladder in the backpack survived.  Helmet is fine. 

I don't think I slid very far.  As I was standing up from the seat I would have been braking.

Bruce

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

My elbow fours days after my crash.  No shattered bones thanks to the Bohn armoured shirt.

Br

OUch... that brings back memories. I guess NOW, we can see how long it takes for the +70 crowd to heal from an accident...   Good thing euc riding is mostly NOT in the arms.  Go shirtless, call it a tattoo? Best of luck in the healing, hope everything else still moves as it should!

Edited by ShanesPlanet