Bought a new V10 from an eBay reseller - how does it compare to a new V10 from eWheels?

leadbread

I picked up a V10 from eBay because it was $200 cheaper than buying it from eWheels (probably even cheaper, since that was $900 with shipping and taxes). I was concerned that I would be sent some sort of NOS with poorly-sealed batteries or crack-happy pedals, although it appears this is not the case. It came with what I think are the newest pedals (large and square, with InMotion-branded grip tape on top of what feels like rubber) and the pack-ins that I know come with units from eWheels (cover and eWheels-branded wrist guards), and is running firmware 2.2.11. As best as I can tell this is exactly what I would get if I currently bought a V10 from eWheels, but I am just curious for the sake of comparison and not missing any recalls or faulty equipment that I'm not aware of - am I missing anything, or is there anything else I should check?

Also, I've read that around a year or so ago, InMotion started using better cells in the V10 battery pack and the packs now provide 750Wh instead of the advertised 650Wh. Is there a way to check if my unit has these higher-quality cells, without disassembling it or trying to infer from how much range I get out of it?

Thanks for any input.

Does it have a warranty? Generally, I stick with eWheels because of the after support.  Any problems I've had with my wheel or scooter, Jason/eWheels has always taken care of in an expedited manner.

The 750Wh vs 650Wh thing should be the only thing that might be different. Seems like the wheel originally came from ewheels anyways if ewheels-branded wrist guards are included.

Does the wheel have a production date or a serial number? You can go from that - either the date is obvious, or you ask Inmotion support - to infer your battery capacity.

Maybe @Nick McCutcheon @Jeffrey Scott Will can help.

• Like 1

It seems like someone bought this wheel from ewheels and decided to resell it for some reason. As far as the battery capacity thing, I haven't heard anything about that, but I can check what the label on our newest batteries claims. I believe it's still 650wh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

Does it have a warranty?

It did not come with any warranty from the seller, so I'm going to assume no.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does the wheel have a production date or a serial number?

There is a serial number, but I don't see a production date. Is that printed somewhere on the unit?

32 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

It seems like someone bought this wheel from ewheels and decided to resell it for some reason

The part that makes me wonder is that this seller has sold several of these V10s with identical, non-descript listings over the past month or so, all auctions that have ended significantly lower than the eWheels price, so I'm not sure what to conclude from that.

Here is where I first read about upgraded cells.

2 minutes ago, leadbread said:

There is a serial number, but I don't see a production date. Is that printed somewhere on the unit?

Not sure how Inmotions serial numbers work. Other serial numbers have the date as part of them, e.g. ...20191114... would mean assembly date of November 14th 2019. Maybe there's a hint in the serial. I don't believe there is a separate date somewhere.

You can ask Inmotion support whether they can tell you. It's a one sentence question. I think this is the official site for that in the US: https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/support

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure how Inmotions serial numbers work. Other serial numbers have the date as part of them, e.g. ...20191114... would mean assembly date of November 14th 2019

Oh, if it's hidden in the serial number somehow, it's too coded for me to figure that out - definitely not anything obvious like your suggestion.

Thanks for the link though, I went ahead and asked and I guess I'll be able to figure out everything I'm curious about if they can give me a date

InMotion hasn't emailed me back yet (I'm not holding my breath), but I was able to answer my question. Turns out my V10 came with a warranty card, buried with the other documentation I didn't read and stamped with a QC check date of October 12th, 2019, so it's really quite new and definitely has the upgraded cells. I guess eBay was a pretty good option after all, as long as this thing doesn't randomly fail :efee78d764: